+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogaine Foam

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Knowing what you know now how would you start treatment. She's depressed enough about it, I'd hate to see her have a massive shed.
    I do not believe it is possible to completely avoid shedding. I do believe it is possible to reduce the emotional impact of shedding though.

If I were to start all over again knowing what I know now... I would still start off with the laser comb and Nizoral A-D for at least six months. Then, instead of adding Rogaine next I would add Spiro for at least six more months. Then I would add Rogaine - and I would taper up till I was on the dose I need to be on. Then I would wait till I was on that full regimen for at least 18 months before considering surgery. The shock loss I experienced with my second surgery has me feeling rather gun shy about recommending surgery without spending an appropriate amount of time on treatments, especially for women.

Where would you say you are today compared to before you started treatment. More thicker hair that 4 years ago.. just maintained... still losing and slowed it down? Did you regrow hair at the hairline?
    Four years ago I could not go without a wig. My hair, or lack there of, was awful, patchy, uneven and wonky. There was absolutely nothing I could do with it. Now I can go out without even using concealer. I do wear concealer (Dermmatch) anyway though because it helps me feel more confident. It helps me feel more pretty. Regrowing hair in the the hair line did not apply to me.

I grew a lot of hair back but I did not get it all back. I had patches that would not grow hair so I had two transplant surgeries performed by a very gifted surgeon to fill those in. I still have a problem on the left side of my head which is why I still use concealer. The left side of my head is were I experienced the shock loss after my second transplant surgery. It is slowly filling back in - but it is very very slow. So I use concealer to make it look like I have even coverage all over my head. I have noticed that as time goes by I am using less concealer.

Why would minox foam 5% be any different than minox liquid 5% except for being easier to apply? 5% is 5% any way you look at it. Should work or not work or shed or not shed the same. Am I wrong Tracy?

Can you clarify why you are asking what you are asking? I sense there might be another question in there other than what you seem to be asking.

Thanks for sharing your experience Tracy. It's been a tough ride, but glad to see you're doing so much better. I'm surprised you wouldn't start with the one FDA proven treatment first. Minoxidil. And add the others a little at a time. I know the laser is FDA approved, But I believe that's for safety. Not that it actually grows hair. I'll have to recheck. Apparently you feel it helped you.
    I haven't done a lot of research on Spiro.
    She said she wanted a HT, but I told her that should be tried last. I think Shock loss is a bigger problem for women because they can't be on propecia which can reduce it and women tend to be more diffuse so not causing problems to surrounding hair is more difficult.

I'll share your story with her. Thanks again.

I started using minox liquid after I got 2300 grafts transplanted to my front, temples, and sides about 8 months ago. Doc said to use it all over. Including donor area and sides etc. Can't tell if I ever had shedding because I had no hair in the front to begin with. Hair seems to have been growing in thicker over time. Don't know if the minox helped or not and it's possible the transplanted hair is just getting thicker. I have a suspicion that the minox has helped in the donor area and transplanted areas to at least increase the thickness. Going to the foam for the first time tonight because I heard it's easier to use. Don't think it should make a difference on the results because it's the same 5% solution. I'm a Norwood 6 so I have a lot of work ahead. Getting my next transplant in about 2 months. will keep using minox foam unless something goes wrong. Thanks for your help in navigating people through the hair loss maze. No easy task.

I'm surprised you wouldn't start with the one FDA proven treatment first. Minoxidil.
    I did start with an FDA cleared treatment. The laser comb is cleared by the FDA for the treatment of hereditary hair loss. However, at the time that I started using it, it was not yet cleared to treat hereditary hair loss in women.

I originally wanted to avoid Rogaine. But when I got a little improvement I wanted more. Then when I got a little more improvement I wanted even more - and so on...

I know the laser is FDA approved, But I believe that's for safety. Not that it actually grows hair.
    Many people think that but that is actually not true. In order to receive the FDA clearance, Lexington had to prove both safety and efficacy.

Back when I started using my laser comb in November of 2007, I didn't even know there was a controversy over it. My primary care doctor told me about the FDA clearance and suggested I give it try. So I bought one and I have been using it ever since.

I do not know if it actually grows hair but I do know that it improves the hair that you have, including hair that has grown back from using Rogaine. It increases the caliber of the hair that you have. It increases the strength of the hair that you have. It improves the quality of the hair that you have and it makes your hair grow faster. These are all good things, especially for a woman. Maybe a man cannot see anything appreciable in those benefits but a woman certainly can.

I haven't done a lot of research on Spiro.
    In some ways, when talking about hereditary hair loss, Spironolactone is for women what Finasteride is for men. She needs to talk about that with her doctor.

She said she wanted a HT, but I told her that should be tried last.
    Absolutely. Surgery should be the absolute last resort. She should try treating it for at least a reasonable amount of time first. A reasonable amount of time is 12 to 18 months. By then she will know if she is responding to treatment. She will know if she can arrest her hair loss and she will know if she can grow any hair back.

It is very important for a woman to work with a qualified doctor to determine the cause of her hair loss and treat that cause. If she is not going to try to treat the cause, there is not much point in doing anything else about it.

I think Shock loss is a bigger problem for women...
    I do agree but I am not sure why. That's a good question for the doctors.

I am not aware of any impact Finasteride has on preventing shock loss.

I'll share your story with her. Thanks again.
    Feel free to invite her to read this thread. Point her to the Women's Hair Loss Project website. They also have a forum and I participate in that forum as well as this one. Also, point her to the American Hair Loss Association.

http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Lounk61 View Post
    Going to the foam for the first time tonight because I heard it's easier to use. Don't think it should make a difference on the results because it's the same 5% solution.
    It is easier to use and it is more stealthy. I use men's Rogaine foam in the mornings myself. I use generic women's liquid Minoxidil in the evenings to save money.

I have read from some of the guys that it is best to taper into changes slowly and I tend to agree. So don't switch to the foam all of a sudden. Taper into it slowly over time.

you think I should use foam once a day and liquid once a day until I change over to all foam? What's you opinion on using this on newly transplanted hair and on the donor area? You think it could hurt?

When I had my surgery, I was told to wait a while before restarting on Rogaine. I do not remember how long I was supposed to wait though. I think it was two or three weeks but I'm not sure. You might want to ask your doctor - or the doctor may have had it in your pre-surgery information packet.

The reason I alternate between the foam and generic liquid is to save money. Generic liquid Minoxidil is a whole lot less expensive than Rogaine foam. Also, my hair is long. If you look at my cartoon avatar, that is a reasonably accurate representation of what I look like, including my hair style. Since my hair is long, I can't be sure I am getting the medicine in the foam down to my scalp. I think I am but I can't be sure. Using the liquid in the evening gives me peace of mind that at least once a day I am getting the medicine where it needs to be.

Whenever you make a change, that change can induce a shed. So it is best to taper into changes slowly. If you are used to using the liquid, start using the foam once a day every third day or so for a while. Then once a day every other day for a while longer - and so on and so fourth.

Oh BTW, Rogaine has a rebate promotion going on now. You can print the rebate form from Rogaine's website.

Thanks Tracy. Just for your info I got the generic minox foam online from Kirkland. Much cheaper. not sure if they make it in the 2% formula but it's worth a check. Just used it for the first time last night. The liquid form seems easier to control the dose with the applicator. I think I might have put too much on with the foam. Have to get used to it. Thanks for your input Tracy and good luck to you and everyone in the quest for hair loss control and restoration.