+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

topcat,

I have seen numerous thin scars recently, including my own. I could even post a pic of someone who's had 5000+ grafts extracted and was shaved down before his second op. And you can't even see his strip scar at all!

Does this prove that everyone will get a scar which doesn't stretch? Of course not, just like someone posting a pic of a stretched scar and saying this will happen. Is not true.

The question is the percentage of guys who it happens to, which is impossible to know. But I'm sure many could pluck a % out of the air.

The bottom line is, no form of HT surgery is scarless. Anyone who assures you that it is is lying. And if the OP is so worried about the possible scar(s) then he is not a candidate for surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Congratulations on the most contradictory post I have ever read on any forum.
    El nino you'd make a great politician. Or at least should be working for one. You've stuck two completely different aspects of my comments to form a sentence that makes no sense. Let me simplify for you...

1. You can have the best doctor in the universe close your strip and if your bodies physiological make up is prone to scarring and poor healing your still going to get stretching or wide scars. My point is that the Doctors skill has little impact over this situation.

2. Topcat does a nice job explaining how a good FUE doctor will determine what is the safe number of grafts to harvest in order to keep the scaring cosmetically insignificant. By staying within the limits of each patient based on his donor supply and density, you'll avoid the appearance of white dotting and mothy look.

....hope that clears things up for you.

El Nino I don’t think anyone posted that strip scars always stretch and become problematic. I wrote that if and when the donor area thins out they can become problematic but of course this does not happen all the time and just because its 2012 doesn’t mean anything has changed much.

I listened to the show this past weekend and I think Spencer said it best. The most important aspect of a HT is framing the face and building a little density behind the hairline. That is my advice to everyone and I state it often. It is also why FUE is the best way to start in my opinion. You don’t need a shitload of grafts to have a good result. You can have FUE and depending on your hairloss pattern you can get a very natural result and if that means a thin or bald crown then that in my opinion is the best approach.

You can also assess the scarring as you go along. I shaved the sides of my head for my procedure and I do not have white dotting there or on my face and chest.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    choosing the right MD plays only a small part in the scar healing. Maybe 20%.
    Ok I think I get it now. You're saying that if you choose strip surgery then choosing the right Doctor only plays maybe a 20% part in the outcome of the scar.

But if you choose FUE then the choice of Doctor is much more important. Do you have a percentage for this as well when you conducted your study? What about the Doctors which practice both FUT and FUE?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    El Nino I don’t think anyone posted that strip scars always stretch and become problematic. I wrote that if and when the donor area thins out they can become problematic but of course this does not happen all the time and just because its 2012 doesn’t mean anything has changed much.

I listened to the show this past weekend and I think Spencer said it best. The most important aspect of a HT is framing the face and building a little density behind the hairline. That is my advice to everyone and I state it often. It is also why FUE is the best way to start in my opinion. You don’t need a shitload of grafts to have a good result. You can have FUE and depending on your hairloss pattern you can get a very natural result and if that means a thin or bald crown then that in my opinion is the best approach.

You can also assess the scarring as you go along. I shaved the sides of my head for my procedure and I do not have white dotting there or on my face and chest.
    topcat,

I respect your opinion and I know you are genuinely trying to help people.

But I think you sometimes get too caught up in negativity and don't present a balanced argument.

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Ok I think I get it now. You're saying that if you choose strip surgery then choosing the right Doctor only plays maybe a 20% part in the outcome of the scar.

But if you choose FUE then the choice of Doctor is much more important. Do you have a percentage for this as well when you conducted your study? What about the Doctors which practice both FUT and FUE?
    Hey you’re starting to get it now! Your sarcasm is a bit lame but yes that's exactly what I'm saying. The well known HT doctors have closed thousands of strips. Go see a few and they will all say it is not a big deal. Once again, the biggest factor is the patient. That's why not one of them would guarantee you a small scar. There are too many factors out of their control. I saw a well respected strip Doctor out of NY who is discussed often on this forum. I inquired about doing a revision. His comment was "It may be 50% smaller or may be 50% bigger" ... It was at that point I was completely done with strip of any kind. 20%? All things being equal, I wouldn't be surprised if it was even less...
    Yes. If you choose a Doctor to do FUE and he depletes the shit out of the donor site or uses extremely large punches expect issues. Choose someone who is conservative and stays within limits of donor removal, you'll most likely be safe. That will never be a sure bet with a strip regardless of the experience of the Doctor.
    What about the Doctors who practice both FUT and FUE? Not sure how that's even relevant to scaring but regardless ask yourself if you would go to Hasson and Wong for FUE or Cole for FUT and you have your answer.
    Hey, if you’re one of the lucky ones who got away with a thin scar then I'm happy for you. If your current and future hairstyle keeps it hidden your ahead of the game. Go to buzz with a #2 clipper and you might have an issue.

El Nino I wish everyone was fair and honest but that is not what I see in the world and the HT industry is just a microcosm of the world. I don’t consider it negativity but useful information and if it brings on debate then hopefully everyone learns something as that is what the forums are for exchanging thoughts and opinions.

Hey you’re starting to get it now!
    I got it the first time. But it was still the most contradictory post ever and 95% of newbies would not have understood what you meant.

Hey, if you’re one of the lucky ones who got away with a thin scar then I'm happy for you. If your current and future hairstyle keeps it hidden your ahead of the game. Go to buzz with a #2 clipper and you might have an issue.
    At least you've now acknowledged that strip can produce a thin scar, we are getting somewhere.

And the question is again, what I've been saying all along. What is the percentage of "lucky ones" who get a thin scar compared to those who stretch? No one knows but I would say I am in the majority.

Here's my pics from a few weeks ago when my hair was buzzed to a 3 all over. I could get away with a number 2 on the sides but I'm not sure about the back.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...?t=5151&page=3

I'm sure the Newbies would understand what I was getting at. It is far from contradictory......I never said it was impossible to have a thin line from a strip. I've seen them. However, I've seen far to many wide ones. I'm simply saying it's not worth the risk in my opinion. As one has more and more procedures, the likelyhood of that scar remaining thin decreases. If one is going to keep their hair long for the rest of their life then it is really a none issue.... if not, I would really research which option is best based on thier current and future hair lose as well as future plans.

... Dr Rahal does great work. Your results look very natural.

I'm sure the Newbies would understand what I was getting at. It is far from contradictory......I never said it was impossible to have a thin line from a strip. I've seen them. However, I've seen far to many wide ones. I'm simply saying it's not worth the risk in my opinion. As one has more and more procedures, the likelyhood of that scar remaining thin decreases. If one is going to keep their hair long for the rest of their life then it is really a none issue.... if not, I would really research which option is best based on thier current and future hair lose as well as future plans.

... Dr Rahal does great work. Your results look very natural.
    Thanks NEguy. I respect your opinion and if your first post (and topcats) on this topic was similar then I probably wouldn't have posted. I did so because I wanted to give the OP a more balanced view.

And I am know I am very fortunate with my strip scar and that I have no idea what it would be like to live with a stretched one.

Good luck with your results.