+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

El Nino your hair is outrageously good. Said it before, but the density of transplanted hair means you don't have an illusion going on but actually just dense hair. Kind of interesting to see a case going from back to front rather than the other way.

If I recall correctly you buzzed down to a 3 all over! Back, sides and top and not only did the hair look natural and dense but I couldn't see the scar.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    El Nino your hair is outrageously good. Said it before, but the density of transplanted hair means you don't have an illusion going on but actually just dense hair.
    Exactly FDR! I have density which would have been very hard (maybe impossible) and very expensive to get via FUE.

But I know guys with more extensive loss now or in the future will only be able to achieve the "illusion of density".

But I still believe starting and exhausting with FUT and then FUE is the best approach.

You will have a very difficult time finding my scar even if you actually know where it is.

I am happy with the results of my hair transplant. I certainly wished for better results - but I am happy with what the doctor was able to achieve.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't jump aboard the happy scar club...
    Top scar belongs to a very well known and highly regarded member of the HT community. Bottom belongs to Peter Embriano. Optometrist who dabbled in the industry back in the early 90's. Thank god he was doing micro and mini grafting at the time. I got sold on the use of diamond tip blades that don't cause scarring. Not only did he waist a large amount of grafts but the location is way to low. Top scar was the result of 2 procedures. Bottom was 3 procedures. So those thinking they are going to exaust FUT then switch to FUE be carefull. By the time you develope stretchback due to multiple procedures, it's too late. If your ahead of the game, make the switch. Or avoid strip all together. FUE has progress far to much to ignore its benifits over strip. In my mind, doing FUT is like playing russian roulette with a gun....except there are 4 chambers loaded, not 1! No doubt, I am happy some folks are happy with the outcome of their scars.

Regarding the photo. that cut was done yesterday with a #2 clipper. My goal after doing scar grafting...more on that in another post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	back 2.JPG

Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	15538  

NEguy I agree 100%. The scars are not a problem until the time comes when they are a problem. All it takes is the donor area to thin a little and you now have a problem. Seeing someone try to a show a scar that seems invisible when parting a massive mop of thick donor hair is laughable as it does not tell the real long term story. FUE always first then if it’s not enough for you and you understand the possible consequences then strip as a last option.

None of the scars I have were visible when the donor area was thicker.

Best of luck to you NEguy, hope you get some relief.

I'm getting the impression it depends heavily on the surgeon, right? Should it be a surprise that there are a lot of very bad examples of scarring out there when we're already well versed on how bad and unethical the hair loss industry is in general?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I'm getting the impression it depends heavily on the surgeon, right?
    Absolutely! My surgeon was Dr. Robert Haber in South Euclid, Ohio. Dr. Haber and his entire staff are wonderful. I would recommend him and his staff any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Here is a YouTube video of my doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_sMSE4oYrE

Should it be a surprise that there are a lot of very bad examples of scarring out there when we're already well versed on how bad and unethical the hair loss industry is in general?
    This is the reason the AHLA and the IAHRS were created - to help people avoid the bad surgeons. They certainly steered me in the right direction.

I'm getting the impression it depends heavily on the surgeon, right? Should it be a surprise that there are a lot of very bad examples of scarring out there when we're already well versed on how bad and unethical the hair loss industry is in general?
    You got it Chris.

People base their opinions on their own experiences, this is important to remember when researching. Guys who've had bad work in the past (especially the 90s) will mostly likely have a different opinion than someone who recently went to a world class Doctor with a virgin scalp.

I am not saying you should take it for granted that you would get a good FUT scar from a good Doc. Because some people do heal better than others and some have scalps which are prone to stretching scars.

But with a good Doc I would say your chances are a million times better now than in the 90s. Just remember to take it easy for six months post op. No crunches, sit ups or dead lifting twice your body weight.

Sorry El Nino but that is complete nonsense. Patients are experiencing stretched out scars with today’s procedures and that is a fact regardless of the doctor. My scars were thin at one time and my density in the donor area was higher. Just read the forums on a continuous basis and you will see all the patients that are looking for a solution to the scar issue.

As I wrote it’s not an issue until your donor area starts to thin which will happen to many patients in due time.

BTW the scars are not really an issue for me personally as concealer covers them well.

If scars were not an issue then the market for FUE would be absolute zero. Why in the world would anyone offer it and why would anyone pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Sorry El Nino but that is complete nonsense. Patients are experiencing stretched out scars with today’s procedures and that is a fact regardless of the doctor. My scars were thin at one time and my density in the donor area was higher. Just read the forums on a continuous basis and you will see all the patients that are looking for a solution to the scar issue.

As I wrote it’s not an issue until your donor area starts to thin which will happen to many patients in due time.

BTW the scars are not really an issue for me personally as concealer covers them well.

If scars were not an issue then the market for FUE would be absolute zero. Why in the world would anyone offer it and why would anyone pay for it.
    topcat,

I didn't say that stretched scars don't exist. If you read my post I said that some people heal better than others and some have scalps prone to stretching scars.

I would like to know the percentage of people who's scars stretch, but it is impossible to know. Using the forums to get an answer isn't really accurate because someone who is unhappy with their scar is usually a lot more vocal about it. It is the reason I posted on this thread so I could give the OP a more balanced view.

I agree that the donor area can thin over time. But even if you just had FUE then surely the white dots would be more visible and the donor would have a moth eaten look.