+ Reply to Thread

Default can anyone answer this?

I used propecia from the age of 25 (When my hair loss wasn't too bad) up until recently.

I can say without a shadow of doubt that it has not helped one iota. I am almost completely bald now which should not be the case had the medicine done what it is supposed to.

My question is this.....

Why does propecia work for some but not others? What makes those lucky people different to me?

I started on the drug while i was young and in the early stages of loss. This is supposed to be the optimum conditions right??

So frustrating that, on top of being a baldy and not being able to do anything about it, I have also wasted god knows how much cash as well.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi Mark--there are some people that Propecia does not regrow hair. There are also people that Propecia does not help retain crown hair.

However, if you do not experience any side effects, Propecia is still likely helping out in the donor region. Continue taking it.

Aside from those who simply cannot take the pill, I believe it reduces miniaturization in the donor and retains weaker donor region hair BEST. Those who are good responders are simply luckier than most, while those who actually retain Male Pattern hair susceptible to loss are more common.

Hope this helps!
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Hey man, sorry to hear it didnt work for you, that sucks. Im 25 with early hair lose and 3 months in on propecia and hearing stories like this freaks me out. Did it slow it down at all, how long till you went completley bald 6 months 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by heynow1234 View Post
    Hey man, sorry to hear it didnt work for you, that sucks. Im 25 with early hair lose and 3 months in on propecia and hearing stories like this freaks me out. Did it slow it down at all, how long till you went completley bald 6 months 5 years?
    Its almost impossible to tell if it slowed it down. How would you know?
    I started on propecia at 25 years old and I'm 31 years old now. Almost completely bald.. so i can safely say it did nothing for me. I don't know what options I have left.. pinned all my hopes on propecia.

In a way it is worse to get your hopes up and all that.

Hi - sorry to hear this. Chances are that your DHT is too agressive for finesteride to slow down/stop your loss. Were you taking a legit brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Hi - sorry to hear this. Chances are that your DHT is too agressive for finesteride to slow down/stop your loss. Were you taking a legit brand?
    I bought it from a website which seems legit. My doctor would not prescribe it for me