+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

playsound Ten-year-old girl gets vein grown from her stem cells

"A 10-year-old girl has had a major blood vessel in her body replaced with one grown with her own stem cells, Swedish doctors report."

"A vein was taken from a dead man, stripped of its own cells and then bathed in stem cells from the girl, according to a study published in the Lancet."

"This is the latest is a series of body parts grown, or engineered, to match the tissue of the patient. Last year, scientists created a synthetic windpipe and then coated it with a patient's stem cells."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18428889

Wow... so in terms of taking some other's dead guy's hair... how expencive would that be...

If I understand this science correctly, you will be able to generate new own hair follicles if this technique shows to be transferable. Why is so many people worrying about the money before something hits the market? It's redicilous.

Inactive

Post First Stem Cell Vein Implant Helps Young Girl

In what is being reported as a scientific first, Swedish doctors were able pair the groin vein of a dead donor with stem cells from a young girl and implant the healthy vein into the girl, improving both blood flow in her lower body and her quality of life.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/...oung_Girl.html

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    "A 10-year-old girl has had a major blood vessel in her body replaced with one grown with her own stem cells, Swedish doctors report."

"A vein was taken from a dead man, stripped of its own cells and then bathed in stem cells from the girl, according to a study published in the Lancet."

"This is the latest is a series of body parts grown, or engineered, to match the tissue of the patient. Last year, scientists created a synthetic windpipe and then coated it with a patient's stem cells."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18428889
    Thanks a lot for the post, Clandestine. You've always been a very intelligent and sensible poster on here, and I enjoy reading your posts. The thing is that I read about all of these stem cell miracles all the time that have literally cured previously incurable diseases (http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun...ence/sci-stem7) or have improved the lives dramatically of people suffering from terrible diseases. In the first article, you will see that this stem cell cure was developed by Angela Christiano, who is considered to be one the world's foremost hair loss scientists. Ms. Christiano should really try some similar type of "circulating stem cell" technique to initiate hair regrowth. But unfortunately hair loss gets marginalized as simply a "cosmetic condition" and does not get treated with the same respect as other diseases. Another thing that really irritates me is when most doctors in the hair loss field will continue to aggressively peddle these hair transplants (when they know that statistically less than 10% of all hair loss sufferers actually want these hair transplants), yet will not do anything to test and develop new and minimally-invasive stem cell treatments that I believe the majority of the hair loss population would jump at the chance to get. Unfortunately I believe it all comes down to money, and these HT's generate boatloads of money.
    Anyway, I want to leave you on a positive note Clandestine because I can tell that you're a decent, level-headed young guy (20 years old, I think) who is unfortunately suffering from MPB. I'll tell you about my friend who used to box at my gym. He actually started losing his hair in high school and was made fun of for it. He's been shaving his head completely for many years. Yet he's got to be one of the most secure guys that I've ever met. He's in his mid-30's now, just recently got married to a beautiful woman, and he's not letting hair loss inhibit him. And I remember when he got made fun of right out of high school for his hair loss by one drunken piece of shit at one of our rock clubs. His response was classic: "Well your momma didn't seem to mind hair loss last night when I was f***in her in the ass". Hahaha, I was rolling on the floor laughing as he put this piece of shit in his place. I hope the forum moderators excuse this vulgarity; it's not my intention at all to be excessively vulgar. I just wanted to show how one of the most secure friends that I know remained strong and confident in the face of hair loss. Anyway, I've talked about hair loss with him at length for about a year and a half (when my hair started becoming noticeable in my eyes), but he just doesn't see how hair loss can inhibit my life as much as it has. Hell, we don't talk nearly as much as we used to because I think that it kind of irritates him when I keep wanting to talk to him about hair loss. We used to talk about rock n roll/metal and boxing, and now all I talk about is hair loss. He moved on from hair loss a long time ago and now leads a happy life with a wife that I would give my left nut to have. I always tell him that I would give anything to have the security that he has and not let hair loss inhibit my life. But unfortunately that hasn't happened for me. But I wanted to give you some inspiration here Clandestine (cus my posts have been very depressing as of late), that you can move on, live a great life, score a beautiful woman, and not be inhibited even in the face of hair loss.

..and thats with differentiated stem cells. Imagine what undifferentiated could do.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    That is absolutely unbelievable and a great find, NotBelievingIt. There's really no reason why this principle cannot be applied to hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    That is absolutely unbelievable and a great find, NotBelievingIt. There's really no reason why this principle cannot be applied to hair loss.

I've had this link since I first saw it when it came out, its just so amazing.

I thought about it as it relate to hair loss and really, its closest kin is what RepliCel is doing.

Since skin is dermal layer #1 and hair folliciles are well below that, it can't really be a spray on thing, but it would be cool if it was!

There are couple of differences between this procedure and Replicel. 1) This procedure produces MUCH MUCH better results. 2) This procedure didn't need to go through exhaustive clinical trials that take YEARS AND YEARS.