+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Prostaglandin Graphic

I was just reading about the 5-lox inhibition for combating inflammation, and I noticed that the other side of the cascade for archidonic acid is the production of prostaglandins (like PGE2 and PGD2). I've been trying to wrap my head around the whole prostaglandins thing recently, and this helped get a handle on things. Figured I'd post it:

I also have a few questions, if anyone is already all read up anyway.

It is my understanding that your hair would benefit from an environment heavy on the PGE2 and light on the PGD2, or that's one of the newer theories at least. OC000459 is said to block PGD2. It is a CRTH2 antagonist. Problem is...CRTH2 is not on that graphic. Does anyone know by what mechanism OC000459 lowers PGD2?

Are we sure that OC000459 is the only safe chemical out that can lower PGD2? Is there nothing that will inhibit the actions of PGD synthase, perhaps, as lipoxygenase inhibitors can lower levels of leukotrienes?

Lastly which chemicals are out/on the horizon that can promote/act as PGE2?

P.S. I know that there are many theories behind hairloss. Some competing, some related, some ambiguously competing/related. However, in this thread, I'd like to just discuss prostaglandins and their mechanisms and potential relation to hairloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    It is my understanding that your hair would benefit from an environment heavy on the PGE2 and light on the PGD2, or that's one of the newer theories at least. OC000459 is said to block PGD2. It is a CRTH2 antagonist. Problem is...CRTH2 is not on that graphic. Does anyone know by what mechanism OC000459 lowers PGD2?
    because CRTH2 is a receptor and because most people reference it as DP2

Are we sure that OC000459 is the only safe chemical out that can lower PGD2? Is there nothing that will inhibit the actions of PGD synthase, perhaps, as lipoxygenase inhibitors can lower levels of leukotrienes?
    100% sure. The receptor itself - CRTH2 was only found recently so they haven't had enough time to come up with antagonists

Lastly which chemicals are out/on the horizon that can promote/act as PGE2?
    minoxidil is one... you could also just buy a direct PGE2 analog but it's very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    because CRTH2 is a receptor and because most people reference it as DP2
    Ah, so it's a blocker-type thing. OC000459 binds to CRTH2, preventing PGD2 from binding? It doesn't actually lower levels of PGD2 then?

100% sure. The receptor itself - CRTH2 was only found recently so they haven't had enough time to come up with antagonists
    So there is only one safe receptor antagonist, but I was wondering if there were any conversion inhibitors. Sorry, I'm not really sure what the scientific name for that kind of compound would be. I mean something that acts sort of like fin. Rather than binding to the androgen receptor site, it inhibits the actions of 5AR. Is there anything that inhibits PG2 synthase like fin inhibits 5AR or an AI inhibits aromatase?

minoxidil is one... you could also just buy a direct PGE2 analog but it's very expensive
    Is that what that group buy you spoke of is for? I looked, and thought that was for OC000459. Maybe it was further on the page. I decided I needed to do a lot more readin' before I looked on that thread too much. I was getting a little lost.

So, in your opinion, would minoxidil be sufficient to regrow a nice amount of hair when coupled with OC000459? I know it would just be an educated guess at this point, I'm just wondering what you think.

Ah, so it's a blocker-type thing. OC000459 binds to CRTH2, preventing PGD2 from binding? It doesn't actually lower levels of PGD2 then?
    yes, prevents PGD2 from functioning and shrinking follicles. Actual levels of PGD2 will probably stay the same until we figure out a way to actually reverse this prostaglandin imbalance permanently

So there is only one safe receptor antagonist, but I was wondering if there were any conversion inhibitors. Sorry, I'm not really sure what the scientific name for that kind of compound would be. I mean something that acts sort of like fin. Rather than binding to the androgen receptor site, it inhibits the actions of 5AR. Is there anything that inhibits PG2 synthase like fin inhibits 5AR or an AI inhibits aromatase?
    not yet I don't think so

Is that what that group buy you spoke of is for? I looked, and thought that was for OC000459. Maybe it was further on the page. I decided I needed to do a lot more readin' before I looked on that thread too much. I was getting a little lost.

So, in your opinion, would minoxidil be sufficient to regrow a nice amount of hair when coupled with OC000459? I know it would just be an educated guess at this point, I'm just wondering what you think.
    not sure by how much minoxidil increases PGE2 I'll have to look it up but its natural levels in AGA scalp are not that much lower than normal so it's not that big of a problem... excess PGD2 is the main problem. Also, in that study they said that PGD2 is MUCH BETTER at inhibiting hair growth than PGE2/PGF2 is at growing hair....

I'm almost positive that PGE2 analog + CRTH2 antagonist will regrow all your hair but the problem is that you will have to use those treatments for life until we figure out how to fix the main problem - prostaglandin imbalance

Good thread.

This is the proactivity I'm encouraging other members to adapt as well! Great stuff! 2020, keep us updated on how the results turns out, ok?

What method of delivery are you guys looking at? How is this going from a powder to something you put on your scalp?

As a sidenote, has anyone brought up the idea of using a derma-roller to increase absorbtion?

I only know of resveratrol that you can buy. It was thought before to have some beneficial effect on hair but has never been quantified or confirmed. I take resveratrol as a supplement but I'm sure at that dose it does anything for the hair. It's quite expensive mind and I'm not specifically taking it for hair just general health. Might not even be worth taking. I believe the only supplement that we'd all really benefit from in terms of general health is vitamin d.

As for making a topical I'd have to look into it but I don't think I'd have the know how to actually make one.

From my reading around systemic PGD2 synthase inhibitors would not be a good idea as apparently it's important for neuromodulation. So topicals it is.

One other thing, the ideal topical would actually be a shampoo that would have 5AR inhibitory effects, along with androgen receptor blocking molecules. The second form of attack would be PGD2 synthase inhibitory effects and PGD2 receptor blockers of some kind. Attacking the problem at 4 distinct steps would stop signalling nearly completely. Of course hairloss may be even more complex still but to date this is all we know.

In a nutshell it would have to be a shampoo with 4 different molecules that can be absorbed locally. A big ask but not impossible.