+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default switching from finas to avodart

I've been using fin for over 5 years now, although it is definitely helping with slowing my loss I want to experiment further, especially because of what I lost due to my bad minox experience over the last months (yes I'm off it now and I will never use it again). so I'm thinking avodart. I'll use it for 2-3 years to boost things up when I'm still young (now 29). the only thing at the moment I am concerned about is, will I shed a lot after switching? or will it be less noticeable since I am already blocking DHT to some point with fin. anyone switched before from fin to dutas? I would really appreciate your opinion. thanks!

I believe the biggest downfall to hair loss sufferers is "greed" in wanting to regrow all the hair they loss. Fin, Minox, etc. will regrow hair to only a very small percentage of users. Most can only hope for is to maintain what they have or to reduce the rate of their hair loss. If you expect more you will probably be disappointed. With that said, I was on Propecia for several years. My hair loss continued but at a much slower rate. Like you, I wanted to super charge things up by switching over to Avodart. I was diligent in taking it for one year. Each and every day the dreaded shed appeared. I kept thinging that it would end any week. Unfortunately, it lasted for 52 straight weeks. Finally I came to my senses and stopped taking Avodart and went back to Propecia. Shortly thereafter, the rate of my hair loss returned back to a small level. Still losing ground everyday but at a slower rate... Hair took a total beating during that Avodart year though that never returned fully.

My recommendation to you is to be content with Propecia. However, I wouldn't fault you for wanting to try Avodart. Perhaps, the result will be different for you. Medication affects everyone differently so what was bad for me may be golden for you. Best of luck!

thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it really make me look at things from another direction. also I searched the internet and there are some people who did not see any good from avodart, so I think now I will postpone this whole thing a bit, maybe I'll stick to fin until I'm NW II. I took a shot at minox and it didn't work out for me, so why risk it when fin seems to be working on at least slowing the whole process.

well I know I said I gave it up on switching from fin to dut some time ago but I just switched this monday. the biggest reason is now I am 100% positive that fin is not working anymore, it is strange because I did not use it for a long time (just a little over 5 years). I was looking at pics from 2 years ago and it hit me, the difference is unbelievable, as if I never used fin. besides for the past 5-6 months I was having an incredible shed, it just wouldn't stop. It's like I almost lost 30% of my frontal density and 50% of the temples in 2 years even though I was on fin. That is pure wrong. At least I was expecting to maintain. I am clearly behind my baseline! So I am hopping I would benefit from dut while it is not still too late. I still have lots of baby hair on my hairline that don't grow as healthy as the rest of my hair and I am hoping that dut will make a positive effect on those. And even if it does not at least I can say that I tried. Because it is now obvious that staying on fin will not prevent me from losing more hair.
    I will try to share my experience with dut here, which I hope will be positive.
    After 2 days I can say that I noticed even more hair in the sink after shower. But I am expecting a major shed as a result of switching anyways.

4th day on dut, I had to take 2 showers today and the hair I shed just today probably equals to the hair I normally shed in one week. I wasnt expecting this to happen so soon but at least I think it's a sign that dut is working. One thing though, the hairs shed don't look miniaturized, they're pretty thick. I hope I'll experience some growth or I am f*cked.

day 9 with crazy shed continuing

Default I was going to try these switching like you

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    day 9 with crazy shed continuing
    Goid thing you posted this here, while I don't know your long term result, it certainly seems scary how much you're shedding. Keep posting, also where did you get your avodart?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Goid thing you posted this here, while I don't know your long term result, it certainly seems scary how much you're shedding. Keep posting, also where did you get your avodart?
    from a local pharmacy, in my country you can get it without a prescription just like that and if you have a prescription your insurance pays a big portion of it, I paid it like 29 US dollars so it is considered cheap.

day 11 and voila! a good hair day! after having the worst shedding of my life today there was ZERO hair in the drain after my shower! just 2 days ago I was getting the biggest shed of my whole life, I am very surprised. now I have a mid length cut about 15 cm's long so it impossible for a big amount of hair to pass through the drain without piling up. of course it might be just today, I cannot say I wont have a major shed tomorrow, but today I'm so happy!

44th day and still shedding, after my last post I had some days with very major shedding and some with only minor shedding, very strange. let's hope at least shedding slows down after a full 2 months.