+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD2 or DHT

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    a while ago I received a prescription shampoo from a dermatologist after I complained of intense itching in my scalp. She wasn't sure what it was but gave me some kind of shampoo that I wasn't suppose to use very often (similar to whats recommended with COX2 and LOX5 inhibitors). It cleared up my itch and the associated scaling scalp. I was on renokin at the time and even thought that I was experiencing some regrowth from renokin, but what if the shampoo was a PGD2 blocker, or a COX2 and LOX5 blocker? What if the regrowth was coming from that? I'm going to call the derm and get the name of the shampoo and look into it. I know the point of the shampoo was to stop inflammation in my scalp, so its possible I could be on to something.

I'll report back tomorrow with the name of the shampoo
    the shampoo probably contained Salicylic acid.

Let's wait until we see a clear correlation of PGD2 and baldness, right now blocking DHT shows some success.

Like everyone, I would love that PGD2 shows up to be the only culprit, but let's wait until we have real solutions manipulating PGD2

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    if you want my opinion baldness is the result of a hormonal imbalance that can start very early on in life, only visible during/after puberty when hair starts to thin out severeley.
    This is the root cause of baldness.
    Hormonal imbalances seem a little far fetched when there are such ridiculously healthy people who are also bald. Wouldn't you suspect that a hormonal imbalance would have detrimental effects stretching beyond hairloss?

Far as I know, the only comorbidity that baldness might have is depression. And we all know the explanation for that.

Not sayin' you're crazy or anything. At least the hormone DHT is in the cascade of events causing hairloss, so there's obviously a hormonal component. But to say it's caused by hormonal imbalances is far fetched, is all I'm sayin'.

@Davey Jones: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8595

Personally, far fetched isn't the word i would use. It is the most complete and coherent theory i have seen to date. And things called prostate cancer, fatty liver and metabolic syndrome are all implied possible comorbidities, which lead further to impaired fat burning, impaired muscle development (and possible muscle wastage) despite DHT and other assorted possible consequences. In fact there are so many theorized comorbidities and they are all so influenced by genetics that it's impossible to validate or debunk this theory with them. At the very least, alopecia androgenetica and metabolic syndrome have been linked more or less reliably. (Just check wikipedia.)

You should also be made aware that the hormonal balance in the human organism is tightly self-regulated, so one hormone out of whack usually implies the whole balance being affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Hormonal imbalances seem a little far fetched when there are such ridiculously healthy people who are also bald. Wouldn't you suspect that a hormonal imbalance would have detrimental effects stretching beyond hairloss?
    you can tell they are healthy by looking at them right??? well it does - increased risk of cardivascular disease, increased risk of heart disease and a list of other diseases linked with baldness i cant name right now

Far as I know, the only comorbidity that baldness might have is depression. And we all know the explanation for that.

Not sayin' you're crazy or anything. At least the hormone DHT is in the cascade of events causing hairloss, so there's obviously a hormonal component. But to say it's caused by hormonal imbalances is far fetched, is all I'm sayin'.
    Yes it is a potent stimulator of the sebaceous gland. So is igf-1.

The hormonal imbalance is not just the levels of dht/androgens and sbhg etc in the body, remember these hormones are typically produced by certain enzymes - this implies imablances in these enzymes.

this imbalance also includes the imbalances of the 5 alpha reductase enzymes and possibley other imbalanced enzymes are involved.

i have a intresting theory that somehow the two forms of cholesterol is involved with baldness. I think they are linked with 5 alpha reductase enzyme imbalances.

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    @Davey Jones: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8595

Personally, far fetched isn't the word i would use. It is the most complete and coherent theory i have seen to date. And things called prostate cancer, fatty liver and metabolic syndrome are all implied possible comorbidities, which lead further to impaired fat burning, impaired muscle development (and possible muscle wastage) despite DHT and other assorted possible consequences. In fact there are so many theorized comorbidities and they are all so influenced by genetics that it's impossible to validate or debunk this theory with them. At the very least, alopecia androgenetica and metabolic syndrome have been linked more or less reliably. (Just check wikipedia.)

You should also be made aware that the hormonal balance in the human organism is tightly self-regulated, so one hormone out of whack usually implies the whole balance being affected.
    I've seen those theories, but the evidence seems a little shaky. Especially the metabolic syndrome one. Personally, the only individual that I know that is healthy despite balding is myself. I used to do clinical trials a bunch (college money, ya know?), so I had blood work done on a strangely regular basis. Everything was either normal or excellent (that being triglyceride levels).

Can't say I've had my hormone levels checked, but I have no trouble losing fat. A liiiiittle trouble gaining muscle very quickly, but not too much trouble gaining strength. It always looked to me, from myself and the people I work out with, that you either get to lose fat easily or gain muscle easily, and only a few lucky sons a' b*tches get both without steroids.

Of course, the study I'm referring to has n=1. I would love to see something more reliable/valid that showed bald men were either healthier or less healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    you can tell they are healthy by looking at them right??? well it does - increased risk of cardivascular disease, increased risk of heart disease and a list of other diseases linked with baldness i cant name right now
    Where did you hear that? That is interesting if true. But hey, don't try to exaggerate it! I'll only give you one out of that bunch. Cardiovascular disease more or less is heart disease.

Basically, I don't know one way or the other, and would love to be taught something about balding that I don't know (if you guys aren't too busy). As a sidenote, my maternal grandpa is who I got my baldness from, and he was dead before he hit the ground of a heart attack years before I was even born. So there is at least n=1 I can think of who would agree with a link.

I've seen those theories, but the evidence seems a little shaky. Especially the metabolic syndrome one. Personally, the only individual that I know that is healthy despite balding is myself. I used to do clinical trials a bunch (college money, ya know?), so I had blood work done on a strangely regular basis. Everything was either normal or excellent (that being triglyceride levels).

Can't say I've had my hormone levels checked, but I have no trouble losing fat. A liiiiittle trouble gaining muscle very quickly, but not too much trouble gaining strength. It always looked to me, from myself and the people I work out with, that you either get to lose fat easily or gain muscle easily, and only a few lucky sons a' b*tches get both without steroids.

Of course, the study I'm referring to has n=1. I would love to see something more reliable/valid that showed bald men were either healthier or less healthy.

Where did you hear that? That is interesting if true. But hey, don't try to exaggerate it! I'll only give you one out of that bunch. Cardiovascular disease more or less is heart disease.

Basically, I don't know one way or the other, and would love to be taught something about balding that I don't know (if you guys aren't too busy). As a sidenote, my maternal grandpa is who I got my baldness from, and he was dead before he hit the ground of a heart attack years before I was even born. So there is at least n=1 I can think of who would agree with a link.
    yes i know.

Put it this way, diet has a major influence on baldness, despite what you may want to believe. Cholesterol, does not get much attention in baldness but maintaining healthy cholesterol would help you drastically.

It is not genetics.
    There is a genetical component - and that is the pattern
    I used to believe it WAS genetics and hairs are predetermined to minutauarise until i did a bit more research and a personal experience i had.

There are a couple of reviews in Pubmed that claim that the studies that found a correlation between baldness and heart problems are poorly done and don't predict cardiac issue as well as other well researched causes

Baldness is just a cosmetic issue, get over it

Lifestyle balding isn't real. I have known plenty of healthy balding/bald men who are very meticulous about what goes in their bodies. I have also seen the worst junk food addicts alive with full heads of hair (some of them were also alcoholics or had drug problems).
    All of you have seen the exact same.
    It's in your genes guys, like most of your physical traits.

P.S.- My shedding reduced drastically when I switched to a junk food diet. You all should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Lifestyle balding isn't real. I have known plenty of healthy balding/bald men who are very meticulous about what goes in their bodies. I have also seen the worst junk food addicts alive with full heads of hair (some of them were also alcoholics or had drug problems).
    All of you have seen the exact same.
    It's in your genes guys, like most of your physical traits.

P.S.- My shedding reduced drastically when I switched to a junk food diet. You all should try it.
    lol

like i said, theres a gentical component, and that is the pattern.

I can induce partial thhinning/baldness in a person that is "genetically" determined to have a full head of hair through supplementation.