+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minox Headaches

Default Minox Headaches

Hi guys,

With Replicel having underwhelmed in its Phase II results, I'm accepting the harsh reality that better treatments are not coming anytime soon. I'm confident that something will be available in 5 years, but I'll have to make due with current treatments until then. I've made it through most of my twenties (I'm 27) with a decent head of hair. Was lucky enough to hop on fin around 21, but have still slowly receded to a NW2.5 with a thinning crown. I figure it's time to get on the big 3 and ride this thing out, for better or for worse.

Anyways, I purchased Kirkland's 5% foam this week and my God it is giving me brutal headaches. Kind of feels like a super caffeine withdrawal headache that lasts all day. It's effecting me so much that I can't take it twice a day as directed. I'm wondering what I should do if I don't adjust to even one application/day. Drop to 2%? Stop it completely?

Has anyone else experienced headaches from Minox? Did they eventually go away? Has anyone experienced sides from 5% Minox and switched to 2% with good results?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Got them the first 2 times I applied the stuff then never again which was good. Beginning to wonder if some of it can get in and act systemically though. Shoulders and back seem more hairy but don't see a difference with the head. Maybe though that's what naturally happens as you get closer to 30 than 20.

Hmm, guess I'll try to hold out for a week and see what happens. The shit we go through for this...

Edit:
    Just realized that I may be using too much at a time. A google search of "Rogaine headache" brought up a lot of complaints with regard to 5% foam overuse. Gonna try to use a little less than half a cap full and see what happens. I apply it to both my hairline and my crown, so I've been using closer to 3/4 a cap.

I use a full cap full of the foam. Never had a problem with the foam but it was the liquid that caused the headaches the first two times but I stuck with the liquid for awhile and was fine. I now use the foam, 1 cap, at night about 30mins before bed. Once is plenty as the half-life topically is 22 hours. It's ncie to be able to shower in the morning and then just go about your day without having to put that gunk in.

Cool. Looks like using it once a night has reduced the headaches. Question: do you also use fin? I am experiencing pretty bad sides from fin and was wondering if I could successfully use minox either without fin or with another DHT inhibitor instead of fin.

I gave fin a go but got some sides. Not the typical ones. One of my nipples got really tender and puffy and I had a small touch of gyno during the onset of puberty back in the day so I dropped the fin. Didn't want to get that again. No way. I guess I must be susceptible to it. Didn't seem to do anything downstairs though thankfully as that seems to be the main one people tend to complain about.

Hope minoxidil can tide me over until Allergan releases it's topical. Fingers crossed. Hopefully minox does the job for you too for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I gave fin a go but got some sides. Not the typical ones. One of my nipples got really tender and puffy and I had a small touch of gyno during the onset of puberty back in the day so I dropped the fin. Didn't want to get that again. No way. I guess I must be susceptible to it. Didn't seem to do anything downstairs though thankfully as that seems to be the main one people tend to complain about.

Hope minoxidil can tide me over until Allergan releases it's topical. Fingers crossed. Hopefully minox does the job for you too for the time being.
    So you're onboard with Allergan eh? I need to research it a bit more but surely something will be available by 2015, even if it's not in the US.

That's funny, I got gyno too from propecia but nobody believes it's a common side effect. That's the main reason I have to quit it though. No way I am dealing with that again, made middle school hell lol. Jesus though I wonder what's worse, that or being bald... sucks I can't find a DHT inhibitor that works as well without the nasty sides...

So it's not just me. We must be quite susceptible to lowering DHT. I know it sucks that I can't use it but no effin way would I accept some gyno for keeping the hair. I'd rather be bald tbh.