Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yeahyeahyeah
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
    Only if you have MPB, which is hard to tell from your pics. If you have it, the earlier you start fin, the more hair you will save. If you don't have it, fin is pointless.
    See this is my dilemma, I just don't know if it is worth fretting about or not.

I sent my pics to Rahal for a consultation, the rep was like - you have a mature hairline. Don't sweat over it.

But - that's it, I know I have lost hair, but I don't know if I will lose anymore hair. For the life of me I want to avoid meds at all cost.

Mu hairline was more rounded before.

I am 26 for anyone interested in my age.

Comment

• Jan 2012

****'s sake.... there should be an automatic ban for anyone who even begins typing "mature hairline". No such thing. You are balding. Yes it's in early stages but you're still balding. Start treating it now.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 2020
        ****'s sake.... there should be an automatic ban for anyone who even begins typing "mature hairline". No such thing. You are balding. Yes it's in early stages but you're still balding. Start treating it now.
        Exactly like this guy too:

Sucks BALLS. Wish I could pull it off like him.
        Currently using toco 8 and niz.

Shedding has decreased with toco.

Remains to be seen if it is effective. Maintainence will be enough.

Comment

• Kirby_
          • Jan 2012

Yeah3, you may have lost hair compared to you when you were 16, but a NW2 isn't balding balding. It's mild MPB or pre-MPB MPB that 99.9% of the population won't be able to spot, or consider 'wrong'. Not that that fact should mean one doesn't need to treat it , or at least plan to treat it, but it's not past the point of no return just yet.

I agree with you about the general point that existing hairloss treatments are utterly terrible. No wonder so few men actually use them. They're treading water at best. Just hope that they let us tread water for long enough for the big guns to arrive on the market...*

* or via other means of acquiring them, at least.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Kirby_
            Yeah3, you may have lost hair compared to you when you were 16, but a NW2 isn't balding balding. It's mild MPB or pre-MPB MPB that 99.9% of the population won't be able to spot, or consider 'wrong'. Not that that fact should mean one doesn't need to treat it , or at least plan to treat it, but it's not past the point of no return just yet.

I agree with you about the general point that existing hairloss treatments are utterly terrible. No wonder so few men actually use them. They're treading water at best. Just hope that they let us tread water for long enough for the big guns to arrive on the market...*

* or via other means of acquiring them, at least.
            Yeah, dont know wtf to do. Sent hassan and wong a consultation, see what they say. May go to a dermatologist for extra measures.

On one hand, I fancy my chances of holding onto my NW2 for 5 years at least (when the big boys come out) - given you have guys like my brother, pierce brosnan, jordan knight, john terry with similar hairlines and thickness. Whose hair seem to be stable.

But at the same time, I am very stressed out over this. Because - you just don't know.

Do you know that if you lose hair, you will become a high norwood? Are there cases where it goes back a bit and stops?

Comment

• ryan555
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
              See this is my dilemma, I just don't know if it is worth fretting about or not.

I sent my pics to Rahal for a consultation, the rep was like - you have a mature hairline. Don't sweat over it.

But - that's it, I know I have lost hair, but I don't know if I will lose anymore hair. For the life of me I want to avoid meds at all cost.

Mu hairline was more rounded before.

I am 26 for anyone interested in my age.
              I don't know why you are fretting and Rahal is not going to touch you right now with that hairline. When I first started losing hair in my hairline, I was about 20 and I became obsessed with it. I was sure I'd be bald soon and every time I saw hair fall out my heart sank. Then I got on Propecia as soon as it came to the market and my juvenile hairline regrew almost completely so I never thought about it for 12 years. Two years ago, had to stop Propecia cold turkey and I assumed my hair loss would "catch up" and I'd be bald within a few months. After several months off the drug, my hairline slowly started inching backward but it has gone to basically a Norwood 2, maybe a tiny bit more receded than yours but not much (*knocking on wood*). I am now 35 years old. I have recently seen a well-known hair transplant doctor, not because I want a HT but because I wanted him to evaluate my hair. He found that there was very little miniaturization behind my hairline and told me that my hairline was mature, that he thinks I never needed Propecia, and that I should not restart it. Why am I rambling on about this? Well, I think there are a few take-aways from my story that are relevant to you:

1) Stop fretting and go see a doctor who can look for miniaturization with a microscope. They can see where your hair loss is headed and tell you definitively if you need to be on meds or if your loss is likely to stop soon.

2) The mature hairline is NOT a myth. Someone whose hairline recedes a little may indeed end up becoming bald later in life, but it may stop for many years, or it may never resume again. I promise you I have men in my family in their 60's and 70's with Norwood 2 hairlines that they've had since their 20's.

3) If you are really unable to accept your hairline, which appears to be natural for an adult male and does not at all look like that of a balding man, then the meds do often work to bring your hairline back down. It certainly did for me.

4) I seriously doubt that your friends are making as many comments as you think they are. Nobody is staring at your hairline except for you and people will not ever think of you as balding unless your loss becomes cosmetically significant, which it absolutely is not.

Stop paying attention to the neurotic lunatics on the internet who tell you that losing a centimeter or two off your hairline is then end of the world. Go get your hair checked, formulate a plan, and move on with life. Seriously.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by ryan555
                I don't know why you are fretting and Rahal is not going to touch you right now with that hairline. When I first started losing hair in my hairline, I was about 20 and I became obsessed with it. I was sure I'd be bald soon and every time I saw hair fall out my heart sank. Then I got on Propecia as soon as it came to the market and my juvenile hairline regrew almost completely so I never thought about it for 12 years. Two years ago, had to stop Propecia cold turkey and I assumed my hair loss would "catch up" and I'd be bald within a few months. After several months off the drug, my hairline slowly started inching backward but it has gone to basically a Norwood 2, maybe a tiny bit more receded than yours but not much (*knocking on wood*). I am now 35 years old. I have recently seen a well-known hair transplant doctor, not because I want a HT but because I wanted him to evaluate my hair. He found that there was very little miniaturization behind my hairline and told me that my hairline was mature, that he thinks I never needed Propecia, and that I should not restart it. Why am I rambling on about this? Well, I think there are a few take-aways from my story that are relevant to you:

1) Stop fretting and go see a doctor who can look for miniaturization with a microscope. They can see where your hair loss is headed and tell you definitively if you need to be on meds or if your loss is likely to stop soon.

2) The mature hairline is NOT a myth. Someone whose hairline recedes a little may indeed end up becoming bald later in life, but it may stop for many years, or it may never resume again. I promise you I have men in my family in their 60's and 70's with Norwood 2 hairlines that they've had since their 20's.

3) If you are really unable to accept your hairline, which appears to be natural for an adult male and does not at all look like that of a balding man, then the meds do often work to bring your hairline back down. It certainly did for me.

4) I seriously doubt that your friends are making as many comments as you think they are. Nobody is staring at your hairline except for you and people will not ever think of you as balding unless your loss becomes cosmetically significant, which it absolutely is not.

Stop paying attention to the neurotic lunatics on the internet who tell you that losing a centimeter or two off your hairline is then end of the world. Go get your hair checked, formulate a plan, and move on with life. Seriously.
                Thanks, thats very informative.

What does your hairline look like now - is it similar to mine?

Also, why are you still here, if your hairloss is stable?

Cheers

Comment

• ryan555
                  • Oct 2010

Thanks, thats very informative.

What does your hairline look like now - is it similar to mine?

Also, why are you still here, if your hairloss is stable?

Cheers
                  My hairline is about like yours, maybe even a tad bit more receded, but it doesn't look like I'm balding. The hair loss seems to be pretty stable - I rarely notice any shedding or anything like that. Will I continue to lose hair in the future? Quite possibly, but luckily there are good treatments out there and better ones on the way. The doctor who saw me recently told me that most adult men just do not keep the same hair they had as a teenager and that half of his consultations are with guys who are freaking out because they are seeing changes. He said in addition to the whole "mature hairline" phenomenon, a lot of guys just lose a bit of thickness, texture, etc. This doctor has no reason to lie to me about these things. In fact, it seems that he could easily make a lot of money convincing these men to have a HT.

I still read this board occasionally for a few reasons. First, I am a fairly large investor in one of the much-discussed companies working on new treatments and I like to see what people are saying about it. Second, I like to hear about all the new treatments out there, in case I ever end up needing them. Third, this forum needs more people speaking in a rational, adult tone to drown out all the crazy neurotic people who are spreading hysteria and misinformation.

Comment

• ryan555
                    • Oct 2010

I agree with you about the general point that existing hairloss treatments are utterly terrible. No wonder so few men actually use them.
                    Where do you get your information? Millions of men are on Propecia and I would assume even more than that are on Minoxidil. I know of at least 10 of my friends who take Propecia and it has maintained their hair. I took it for 12 years and I kept the hair of a 12-year-old boy the entire time I was on it. These meds work well and for the vast majority of men they do not cause major issues. You would never know this by reading these boards because there is absolute hysteria being spread about them.

Comment

• ryan555
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by 2020
                      Yes, I'm sure there is a conspiracy where all the hair loss doctors in the world have decided to make this up even though they would all benefit financially were it not true. I am glad 2020 from the bald truth forums knows better than the medical community. By the way, my grandfather who died at 82 with a thick Norwood 2 hairline would disagree with your assessment.

After spending some time on this board, I'm starting to think that IQ and emotional stability are somehow contained within hair follicles.

Comment

• Kirby_
                        • Jan 2012

Where do you get your information? Millions of men are on Propecia and I would assume even more than that are on Minoxidil. I know of at least 10 of my friends who take Propecia and it has maintained their hair. I took it for 12 years and I kept the hair of a 12-year-old boy the entire time I was on it. These meds work well and for the vast majority of men they do not cause major issues. You would never know this by reading these boards because there is absolute hysteria being spread about them.
                        I didn't mean to come across as hysterical - I didn't mean that the existing treatments make you drop dead or lose your penis within a month or whatever, just that they have limited usefulness. Regrowth in even the best case scenarios is unfortunately not magnificent in terms of quantity of hair. The existing mass-market treatments are at best just to maintain, and only for a finite amount of time. That is better than nothing, yes, but there certainly needs to be advancements in treatment options.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                          • Nov 2011

Yes, I'm sure there is a conspiracy where all the hair loss doctors in the world have decided to make this up even though they would all benefit financially were it not true. I am glad 2020 from the bald truth forums knows better than the medical community. By the way, my grandfather who died at 82 with a thick Norwood 2 hairline would disagree with your assessment.

After spending some time on this board, I'm starting to think that IQ and emotional stability are somehow contained within hair follicles.
                          Was your grandad born with the norwood 2, or did he develop it?

And what was the shape of the norwood 2 like? Was it like ours?

And yes you are right, it makes more sense of a HT dr to just perform a HT - they make more cash that way.

Comment

• ryan555
                            • Oct 2010

I didn't mean to come across as hysterical - I didn't mean that the existing treatments make you drop dead or lose your penis within a month or whatever, just that they have limited usefulness. Regrowth in even the best case scenarios is unfortunately not magnificent in terms of quantity of hair. The existing mass-market treatments are at best just to maintain, and only for a finite amount of time. That is better than nothing, yes, but there certainly needs to be advancements in treatment options.
                            Sorry, I wasn't calling you hysterical, just referring to the hysteria that is spread about these meds in general. They aren't perfect but they are much better than many on this forum would have you believe.

Comment

• Kirby_
                              • Jan 2012

Sorry, I wasn't calling you hysterical, just referring to the hysteria that is spread about these meds in general. They aren't perfect but they are much better than many on this forum would have you believe.
                              Well, I agree that there's a lot of negativity around the safety of the existing medications. I put off starting fin by three months as I was terrified to death by the stories I was coming across on hairloss forums.

Comment

• ryan555
                                • Oct 2010

Was your grandad born with the norwood 2, or did he develop it?

And what was the shape of the norwood 2 like? Was it like ours?

And yes you are right, it makes more sense of a HT dr to just perform a HT - they make more cash that way.
                                Of course he developed it. Nobody is born with a Norwood 2. Teenage boys pretty much always have a low hairline like their female counterparts. Then in the late teens or twenties, a lot of guys start receding. Some of these men have aggressive MPB, which is generally apparent by their mid- to late-twenties when it is going to move to an advanced pattern of baldness. Some of them stay that way for many years and then advance in their hair loss slowly (usually to a less advanced balding pattern). Some others stay that way forever, or only experience very minor additional loss when they are much older (go look at Mitt Romney - do you think he's ever going to be bald?). Then there are a minority of men who are indeed lucky enough to keep the childhood hairline. People look at celebrities and say "look at those NW1 hairlines," but you don't know who has had work done. I can think of a few actors with NW1 hairlines (George Clooney and Sean Penn are examples) who have had their hairlines transplanted from NW2's to NW1's. The guys who refuse to accept the notion of a mature hairline are most likely guys with more severe baldness who want everyone to be as miserable as they are. Or, they are neurotic OCD types who get some sort of weird satisfaction out of freaking themselves and everyone else out completely.

Comment

Working...