X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 25 going on 65
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
    Would starting at .25 be wise.

How long have you been on propecia, have you had any sides?
    I've been on it for about 21 months as well as keto shampoo (which I started at least 6 months before fin....maybe longer than that). In the beginning I did notice a slight change in ejaculatory fluid (sorry for too much info), which seemed to resolve itself pretty quickly. I'm not positive it was from finasteride, but it definitely could have been my body going through a drug adjustment period.

As for starting at .25 and working up, I think this may reduce your risk of side effects. I don't think it's necessary for most men, but I also see nothing wrong with "tapering up" this way. If it makes you feel safer than starting at 1 mg or 1.25 mg, I would say go for it.

Comment

• Tracy C
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
      As for starting at .25 and working up, I think this may reduce your risk of side effects. I don't think it's necessary for most men, but I also see nothing wrong with "tapering up" this way.
      For what it's worth, pretty much every time I have had to go on a medication, I have gone through a taper up period before settling into the dose my doctor specified.

There are others things anyone and everyone can do to reduce their chances of experiencing negative side effects from any medication. Mainly, it is about being as healthy as you can possibly be. It is a well known medical fact that a very healthy person is less likely to experience negative side effects than a person who is not so healthy. Armed with that information, it does not hurt to spend six months or so working on becoming as healthy as you can be before starting. There are really only five simple rules you need to follow and live by to achieve that. They are: Rule #1) Get enough exercise. Rule #2) Drink plenty of water. Rule #3) Eat healthy. Rule #4) Get plenty of sleep. Rule #5) Follow these five rules at least five days a week for the rest of your life. Pretty simple really.

Having said that, it is also important to note that if a person is deathly terrified of the possible side effects of any medication, that person is far more likely to experience the possible negative side effects. The mind is funny that way.

Comment

• worried
        • Mar 2012

Some Sides can be presistent its written on the propecia website and they can appear in less 2% of users

You are lucky if you didnt feel the sides or got away from the sides

Comment

• BaldinLikeBaldwin
          • Apr 2012

I don't know if "lucky" is the right word to describe those who don't have persistent sides...

I would say those who have are extremely unlucky though.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
            Open your eyes and look around while you are out and about in the real world. I could go to any high school in the country and find that well over half of the young guys attending those schools have an adult male hair line. Most of them will get worse during their lifetime, some of them won't. It is very rare for a male to keep his juvenile hair line. These who do keep their juvenile hair lines are the anomalies, not you.

Well then it is not a mature hairline, it is a slow form of MPB.

Do any of them have thinning in their vertex and/or mid-anterior?
            They are NW6s.

I have one uncle who has hairloss and it has stopped. But his started when he was in his 40s.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
              • Nov 2011

I've been on it for about 21 months as well as keto shampoo (which I started at least 6 months before fin....maybe longer than that). In the beginning I did notice a slight change in ejaculatory fluid (sorry for too much info), which seemed to resolve itself pretty quickly. I'm not positive it was from finasteride, but it definitely could have been my body going through a drug adjustment period.

As for starting at .25 and working up, I think this may reduce your risk of side effects. I don't think it's necessary for most men, but I also see nothing wrong with "tapering up" this way. If it makes you feel safer than starting at 1 mg or 1.25 mg, I would say go for it.
              Does it help with the hairline?

Read guys saying their hairline worsens after taking this.

And will I shed?

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                • Feb 2011

I understand your frustration with the current treatments as well. I will concede that finasteride does slow down hair loss to the point that I'm taking it myself. But in terms of regrowth, the options that we have out there now are utterly pathetic. I haven't seen minoxidil regrow anything other than vellous hairs and for most people, I don't think that it regrows a damn thing. To call it a hair regrowth stimulant is an absolute joke, just like I laugh when people refer to "The Big 3" as minoxidil, finasteride, and some dipshit shampoo like Nizoral. I will concede that finasteride is effective in slowing down hair loss, but the other two (minoxidil and nizoral) are really just a joke and show how pathetic our options are today for regrowing our hair. As I've said so many times before, for an issue that affects our lives so drastically and negatively (hair loss), it's really unconscionable that we have such limited options to treat it.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
                  I understand your frustration with the current treatments as well. I will concede that finasteride does slow down hair loss to the point that I'm taking it myself. But in terms of regrowth, the options that we have out there now are utterly pathetic. I haven't seen minoxidil regrow anything other than vellous hairs and for most people, I don't think that it regrows a damn thing. To call it a hair regrowth stimulant is an absolute joke, just like I laugh when people refer to "The Big 3" as minoxidil, finasteride, and some dipshit shampoo like Nizoral. I will concede that finasteride is effective in slowing down hair loss, but the other two (minoxidil and nizoral) are really just a joke and show how pathetic our options are today for regrowing our hair. As I've said so many times before, for an issue that affects our lives so drastically and negatively (hair loss), it's really unconscionable that we have such limited options to treat it.
                  Have you had any sides etc etc?

How long have you been on it for and at what dosage

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                    Does it help with the hairline?

Read guys saying their hairline worsens after taking this.

And will I shed?
                    Yes it helps with the hairline. However I believe my corner recession progressed a bit before fin stopped it, during the first 6 months or so. (Those hairs would have gone without fin anyhow, so, oh well.)
                    Since then though, the hairline is holding for me.
                    Most guys do go through an initial shed when starting hair loss treatments, including finasteride, so you probably will too. The important thing is to ride it out at least a full year before even thinking about quitting.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                      • Feb 2011

I've been on 1mg of Propecia for about 2 years now. I have noticed sides as well yet I continue to take it because I'm scared to death of living life as a bald man. It's helped to lessen hair loss but it hasn't completely stopped it (I still see hair on my bathroom floor although that may be because I have long hair). If Propecia was much more effective (if it regrew a substantial amount of hair), then I'd be way more tolerant of the side effects. But give it a try man, I'd take side effects any day over living life as a bald man. I dunno, ask me in 5 years again though!

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
                        I've been on 1mg of Propecia for about 2 years now. I have noticed sides as well yet I continue to take it because I'm scared to death of living life as a bald man. It's helped to lessen hair loss but it hasn't completely stopped it (I still see hair on my bathroom floor although that may be because I have long hair). If Propecia was much more effective (if it regrew a substantial amount of hair), then I'd be way more tolerant of the side effects. But give it a try man, I'd take side effects any day over living life as a bald man. I dunno, ask me in 5 years again though!
                        Well this is my hair:

As you can see it is thick. Which is why I am scared to death to start fin and worsen it. Given there hasn't been significant changes to my hair over the past year.

I am 26.

But the problem is the hairline, it is forcing my hair to grow in the centre, forming a triangle in my head. Hence my friends comment about my temples. If my hair stays the same, I will be a happy man, but I dont know if I should hold out until better treatments come out on start fin.

Sigh I feel so sad about this shit.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                          • Sep 2010

If you have MPB, finasteride is not going to make you lose any hair that you wouldn't lose without it.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                            • Nov 2011

If you have MPB, finasteride is not going to make you lose any hair that you wouldn't lose without it.
                            based on the photos, would you start using fin?

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                              • Sep 2010

Only if you have MPB, which is hard to tell from your pics. If you have it, the earlier you start fin, the more hair you will save. If you don't have it, fin is pointless.

Comment

• jpm
                                • Nov 2011

Dude you are not that bad at all!! better than like 85% of people on here!

To anyone who wasn't concerned with balding they wouldn't even bat an eyelid at your hairline.

personally i would start on a low does of fin.

but thats my opinion, im sure others will warn you off!!!

Comment

Working...