+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It’s also true that many patients that have come back and tried to help and warn others about how this industry operates or write about their experience are attacked by those who work in the industry. Over the 14 years I have seen it happen over and over again. Those patients many who were very good posters eventually said to themselves F this shit let these prospective patients find out the hard way and I will admit having that feeling every now and then. Let these guys that think they know something but don't know shit find out the hard way.

Eventually you will have just the consultants and the doctors that post along with the guys that don't know shit, how convenient.

Inactive

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I'm all too aware that they show there top stuff. That's a given. But just how much do the results vary I wonder.
    That's a key point, because it's really hard to get a handle on how representative the presented results are. Even granted that you're only seeing the best of any surgeon's results, how do you what percentage of his total patient base those results represent? 20%? 5%? 1%? 0.2%? There's no way to tell without a lot more information that prospective patients generally don't have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    That's a key point, because it's really hard to get a handle on how representative the presented results are. Even granted that you're only seeing the best of any surgeon's results, how do you what percentage of his total patient base those results represent? 20%? 5%? 1%? 0.2%? There's no way to tell without a lot more information that prospective patients generally don't have access to.
    That's exactly it. Are the results we're seeing representative of the top 5%, top 10%, top 20% or what I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    FDR, could it be the money?
    Donor thinning and to help maintain the calibre of transplanted hair.

I'm not saying HT's are not necessarily bad; they're not. Some are great, some are good, some are down right appalling. What I am saying is the industry is still by and large shady. Look around enough and you'll see it...But then again so is cosmetic surgery so really the only advice I can give is caveat emptor.

That can be said about every industry. There always will be the good and bad. Some of the worst cases involve uninformed patients and/or individuals that do not make good candidates for this type of cosmetic surgery. Some are simply not candidates at all.

The other areas of cosmetic/elective surgery have the same issues. Just go read some of those forums and you will see what I mean. It's not exclusive to the hair transplant industry.

Yet if we consider how far this industry has come in the last 10 years alone is remarkable. Honestly guys, I now see far more good work than I used too. There are far more people doing their research online than ever before.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Inactive

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    First of all, if hair transplants are as bad as you say, then you need to explain why there aren't enough examples on the Internet.
    Who's going to post examples of bad hair transplants, and how would you find them?

Inactive

Exclamation

When things go wrong, people complain. Hair Transplants are no exception.
    Except that:

a) The overwhelming bulk of hair transplant photos on the Internet are posted by HT doctors (and those working for them), not by patients. Obviously HT doctors aren't going to post photos of bad hair transplants.

b) Many recipients of bad hair transplants are too embarrassed to post their photos, or fear reprisal if they do, or are prevented from doing so by waivers they've signed, or have their posts removed from forums when they try.

Probably on a forum like this. Look up Accutane in Google and you will find a huge amount of complaints of sides on all sorts of forums. When things go wrong, people complain. Hair Transplants are no exception.

I would expect more like "Here is my botched HT from X surgeon. Please avoid going there!".

Like I said, only in bad countries do you get bad HT's.
    That last bit is just not true. You'll even hear Spencer say that one was a homerun or that every surgeon has cases that don't turn out as hoped. While I accepted that I now think the rate at which the yield is poor is higher than I originally thought. There's a certain network out there where patients can keep their blog of their progress post HT and you'll see that even with the top surgeons many are less than happy. Recurring theme is one side not growing in as well as the other. Bit of an eye opener really.

For the record there's enough great results out there that I'd still consider a HT myself in the future. So I'm not anti-HT at all.