+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    According to Bernstein Medical, Finasteride not being able to grow hair on the front is a myth.
    I am trying to help him keep it real. I did mention that some males can regrow some temple hair with medications - but most will not. That is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBBald View Post
    and here is my "vertex" maybe I should be putting it here too. It doesn't really seem to be thinning yet but maybe a bit, who knows.
    You are thinning in the vertex, not a lot but it is happening. You need to focus your application of Minoxidil on your mid-anterior and vertex. You can dry the medicine off your fingers in the temples and hair line if you want to - but your mid-anterior and vertex are where you need the medication most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You are thinning in the vertex, not a lot but it is happening. You need to focus your application of Minoxidil on your mid-anterior and vertex. You can dry the medicine off your fingers in the temples and hair line if you want to - but your mid-anterior and vertex are where you need the medication most.
    I almost feel like that small spot of baldness is there at everyone's vertex?? Either way, I'll definitely be putting it all over my head other than the back and sides. (well already did, first rogaine treatment today)

Either way, I'll definitely be putting it all over my head other than the back and sides. (well already did, first rogaine treatment today)
    The vertex and mid-anterior areas are the areas that Minoxidil is most likely to be able to help. This is good because these are the areas that you need to most help.

If this is your first time using Minoxidil, don't use it twice a day every day at first. Taper up to that dose over time. Start with once a day every other day, preferably a couple of hours before your bed time. After a few weeks, use it once a day every day. After a few weeks, alternate between once a day and twice a day for a few more weeks. Then finally use it twice a day every day. If you decide to stop using Minoxidil, taper off of it the same way in reverse. It is best to use the foam in the morning because it is easier to use, it dries quicker and it is more stealthy. Also, wash your hair with Nizoral shampoo once a week - but not more than once a week. For your regular washing, switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

I wish you the best.

Tracy

I almost feel like that small spot of baldness is there at everyone's vertex??
    Yeah, you're referring to the crown where the hair comes together in a little whorl. It's normal to show a little scalp there.
    You don't really have a "bald spot" there but I think she's saying that that general region of your scalp is thinning diffusely, which I would agree with.
    No worries though, diffuse crown thinning is literally one of the easiest types of MPB to treat with medication. You'll most likely be fine there.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Yeah, you're referring to the crown where the hair comes together in a little whorl. It's normal to show a little scalp there.
    You don't really have a "bald spot" there but I think she's saying that that general region of your scalp is thinning diffusely, which I would agree with.
    No worries though, diffuse crown thinning is literally one of the easiest types of MPB to treat with medication. You'll most likely be fine there.
    Got you, I think I caught it at the right time then! I can deal with a shorter hairline. I can't do the fancy hairstyles but that's okay, a 3-4 with a buzzer will still look good and I won't have to go bald

The vertex and mid-anterior areas are the areas that Minoxidil is most likely to be able to help. This is good because these are the areas that you need to most help.

If this is your first time using Minoxidil, don't use it twice a day every day at first. Taper up to that dose over time. Start with once a day every other day, preferably a couple of hours before your bed time. After a few weeks, use it once a day every day. After a few weeks, alternate between once a day and twice a day for a few more weeks. Then finally use it twice a day every day. If you decide to stop using Minoxidil, taper off of it the same way in reverse. It is best to use the foam in the morning because it is easier to use, it dries quicker and it is more stealthy. Also, wash your hair with Nizoral shampoo once a week - but not more than once a week. For your regular washing, switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

I wish you the best.

Tracy
    Thanks, you're a wealth of knowledge!

Any particular reason for this?? Just to make sure I don't react adversely?? Because the minox says use twice daily. And any recommended sulfate-free shampoo or conditioners?? Is that like Head & Shoulders??

Oh! And a final question before I wear you guys out with them--should I cut my hair down before I start using these treatments?? Is there a different between applying it to 'longer' hair or shorter hair?? I imagine shorter is best so it can get to the scalp where we want it right??

Any particular reason for this??
    Mainly this is to help you avoid freaking out when you start shedding - and it may possibly reduce the amount you shed when the shedding starts.

And any recommended sulfate-free shampoo or conditioners??
    Personally, I prefer Aveeno "PURE RENEWAL" sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. You can use any brand that you like, just make sure it is sulfate free.

Is that like Head & Shoulders??
    I am not aware of any sulfate free products offered by Head & Shoulders.

Oh! And a final question before I wear you guys out with them--should I cut my hair down before I start using these treatments??
    My hair is below my shoulders. It is somewhat difficult to get the medicine down to my scalp where it needs to be but I manage. Rogaine's website site has a short instruction for women's Rogaine that may be helpful to you. Cutting your hair really short might help you cope with the shedding when it starts - because it won't seem so dramatic when it happens.

Thanks again, Tracy.

Are there any statistics on using Monoxil and Propecia vs just using Monox?? I'm kind of nervous about using propecia and it ruining my sex life if I won't necessarily need it. Also Fin is a lifelong thing, so I'd have to take it forever, I'm not sure I want to start doing something like that. Almost wiser to wait for newer hair-loss advancements.

A very important truth you need to understand and accept is that anything and everything that is currently available to treat hereditary hair loss requires a life long commitment. This is true for Finasteride (Propecia). This is true for Minoxidil (Rogaine). This is true for the laser comb. This is true for Spironolactone. This will also be true for Latisse. There is no getting away from that reality at this time. It is what it is.

Hereditary hair loss is evil. Once triggered into action it does not stop on it's own. It may slow down or seem to stop for many years - but it keeps going whether you realize it or not. This is why a life long commitment is required to treat it. If a true cure is ever found, this requirement will go away. But a true cure is not yet available.

Another very important truth you need to understand and accept is that it is far more important to treat the cause of hereditary hair loss than the symptom. Finasteride (Propecia) addresses the cause by reducing DHT. Minoxidil (Rogaine) does nothing to address the cause - it only treats the symptom. Without addressing the cause of hereditary hair loss, using Rogaine alone is almost pointless.

Hereditary hair loss is evil. Once triggered into action it does not stop on it's own. It may slow down or seem to stop for many years - but it keeps going whether you realize it or not. This is why a life long commitment is required to treat it. If a true cure is ever found, this requirement will go away. But a true cure is not yet available.
    +1 on the above.
    My vertex looked like yours about 10 years ago. it will slowly grow over time if you don't use medicine to stop it. It may be SO slow that you won't even notice it without taking pictures.