+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I'm sure and no, it is not more than a Norwood 2. Your hair does not look diffuse to me.
    Unfortunately, it is rather diffuse, so much so that at the current length (Grade 2-ish), under strong lights I look like a NW5/6 with merely lots of 'fuzz' in the non-horseshoe area. I had thought before I started Propecia that it'd be easy, just sit back and take a tablet every morning. The actual shed-loss has been incredibly difficult to deal with personally, and has turned me into a neurotic mess when it comes to my body image: I look 'balding' now, when I didn't really to start with.

25, I hope you're right that a decent recovery from the medshed is possible.

Shedding phases can be really rough. My fin shed was on the mild side but my keto shampoo shed (keto was my first MPB treatment ever) definitely depressed me. I had never been through anything quite like it.

I've told people before to remember something when they're feeling really down during this phase: because of our genetic condition, the hairs you've shed would have fallen out without meds anyway. The difference is that none of them would grow back, ever. 0% regrowth.
    I know how this hair fall messes with your body image, believe me. This is the part where some people freak out, quit their treatments, and 5 years later they've fallen 3 Norwood levels (or worse). But you're on the right track man. Hang in there.

Nizoral can cause shed loss? Interesting. Like you I tried Niz/keto before I got my Propecia sorted, and it seemed like my density took a hit then in terms of cosmetic appearance. Perhaps in retrospect it was an initial shed, and what I shed due to fin was a 'double shed', if that makes sense. Unprovable of course, but something for me to contemplate.

Thanks for the kind words BTW.

Yeah, maybe it was a coincidence but I noticed a whole lot of shedding when I started keto, and it seemed to go on for months (though much less some weeks than others). I was using it more than I should have, so that was almost certainly a factor. But I also wonder if it spared me from a worse shed later when I started fin....who knows

I wish my hairline was a NW1. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

The as posted pictures don't relay the extent of the diffuse thinning so I'll take some new ones. It's really not good. I started to notice my hairloss when the density just didn't seem to cover the corners of my hairline any longer.

Took a photo of the awful extent of the diffuse thinning on my iDevice last night. Going to be a struggle to get back to cosmetically viable hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Going to be a struggle to get back to cosmetically viable hair.
    Not really, if you respond to the medications - but it will take a long time. Using a laser comb every other day might speed it up a little bit - but not a lot.

I'm pretty screwed until/if stuff like Histogen ever hits the market though, I realise. Only doing treatments to preserve what little hair i have until then. Hair's about Grade 1 or 2 length currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    I'm pretty screwed until/if stuff like Histogen ever hits the market though...
    Not really. You are in better shape than you think you are. But as I said, it will take a long time. Time that is measured in months and years. Not weeks and months.

I'm five months in so far.

Feel too far gone at this stage TBH. Which is ironic as when I went to initially get Propecia I was nearly turned away for having hair that didn't look 'bad enough'!