+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nizoral

Default Nizoral

Used it twice, since starting it, my head has been feeling sore.

Has anyone else experienced this?

They say that if you use it more than twice a week, it will dry your scalp out. You said you have just used it twice since you first started. For how long have you used the shampo? More or less than one week?

It makes my scalp feel really clean. I use it 1-2 times a week.

I have been using it for 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    I have been using it for 2 weeks
    Then maybe you have a really sensetive scalp. Maybe you should only use it once every other week.

Alright I will do that.

God it's a harsh shampoo

God it's a harsh shampoo
    Are you using the 2% or the 1% version?

I have not had any problems with Nizoral. I use the 1% twice a week and I use a good quality moisturizing conditioner when I use it.

I can think of a few possibilities. You might have a sensitive scalp, you might be allergic, or it might just be that the combination of cleansers/products you use are causing irritation.

A short time ago I read one of Tracy's posts recommending that you avoid shampoos and conditioners with sulfates (SLS and ALS). These can be pretty irritating and harsh, but they're in most OTC shampoos.
    Ever since, I've only washed my hair with sulfate-free glycerin soap except on ketoconazole days. Some days I use no cleansers for my hair, just water and rubbing with the pads of my fingers. This has seemed to work well for me. (Believe it or not, you don't need to wash your hair with chemicals every day, unless you're washing out minoxidil or keratin fibers or whatever.) My scalp and hair feel better and actually, this might be a coincidence, but I noticed a definite reduction in shedding when I dropped the sulfates. So it might be worth a shot.
    Conditioning could also help cut the irritation.

Used it twice, since starting it, my head has been feeling sore.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Hi,

when I started my nizoral 2% cycle, first two sessions were fine. I had no redness, no scalp ache etc. Only a little and occasional "crawling" sensation in my thinning zones.

But, after my 3rd session (I used it no more than 1 or 2 times a week) I started experiencing what you wrote. My scalp became red and sore.

Then I realized that I got a little too 'enthusiastic' using it, and on the 3rd session I left it acting on the scalp a little too long before rinsing it.
    What I think I had developed is the so-called 'keto burn'.

So, my advice is : let the scalp calm down for at least a week, not using nizoral, then restart using it BUT rinse it out after about 3 minutes (maybe 5 if you use the 1%).

By the way, during the cycle I was talking about I initially noticed that I was shedding a lot of miniaturized hair ( I'm talking about the first 2 sessions or so ), then after that my overall shedding decreased drammatically.

I think Nizoral should be used like a medication and not so much as an actual 'washing' shampoo.
    Now I just use it on my thinning zone (crown and top), because there's no need on the sides and ends up drying my scalp skin a lot.

-Alberto

Can anyone tell me what the benefits are from taking Nizoral? I'm noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the benefits are from taking Nizoral? I'm noob.
    In short, Nizoral shampoo is a powerful anti-micotic for the scalp. It kills a wide variety of micro-organisms that often grow out of control in the scalps of people suffering of dandruff, dermatitis, sebum buildup, etc

It is also believed ( 2 or 3 scientific studies ) to have moderate anti-DHT effect at the scalp level.

So we basically use it because of its anti-androgenic effects and because it helps a lot keeping in check sebum production and scalp colonization.