+ Reply to Thread

Default 24 year old, hair thinning, advice?

Hey all,

First and foremost let me just say hello to everyone and reading other stories has made me comfortable in sharing mine.

Last semester was my final semester at college (may 2012 grad). During that semester I took a road trip with a couple of friends for spring break. The sun was shining bright and I could see the scalp through my hair(due to thin hair). I didn't think much of it until it started to get worse through the semester. I've always had a receding hairline, it never bothered me... who's hair doesn't recede these days? But I really started to get concerned when my hair got really thin at the crown and started to spread to the front. But the weird thing is, hair wasn't falling out(or I didn't notice cause I keep my hair relatively short anyways), it just seemed to be getting thinner when it would grow back after I cut it.

I decided to go to a dermatologist, she suggested that it might be because of my dry scaly scalp so she recommended I use T-Sal shampoo i used it for a couple of months the scaly scalp went away but my hair got worse... So I went to her again and she suggested I go to a lab to run a couple of blood tests to make sure everything checks out okay, she also gave me a prescription for Propecia. Since then I've have been researching pretty heavily on different methods to stop hair loss. Propecia seems to be the only thing that 'queues' hair loss that I've read online. I'm a little hesitate to try it and I don't really know of any other options besides Rogaine (I hear it works for some people).

I'm 23 years old (24 in a couple of days) just finished college (as an engineer), I also got a good job as a Manufacturing Engineer at Goodyear staring June 4th. I'm engaged to my finance who I love very much, whom tells me 'i'll love you no matter what, you'd look good bald, STOP obsessing over it'. I'm in pretty good shape(gym 3 times a week), healthy... It's just this ONE THING.. And for the past week since I've been out of school and waiting to work, I have been obsessing over it.

Should I do Propecia, Rogaine despite the known side effects (unknown side effects 20 years from now).... or should I just let nature takes its course? I think I'd may feel better if I shave it and never look back again. But it's hard to lose something you've had your whole life, you know?

And if I do let nature take its course should I get a hair transplant later in life? (If money is not to much of an issue) Even though it may fall out again anyways......

I've posted some pictures of my hair, I'm biracial my dads Jamaican and my moms Irish. I don't know if ethnicity has anything to do with it or not. My dad has a full head of hair still, but relatives on my moms side has a trend with MPB (grandfather, uncles) but they didn't start going bald until they were 30. My hair seems to be getting thinner all over, even the sides...

Advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Also I know this post was all over the place (my thoughts) but I guess my overall question is should I start Propecia or not? And if not what else should I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	560692_3333364691639_856402419_n.jpg

Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	15288   Click image for larger version

Name:	536773_3333363731615_1194180282_32693229_1162202910_n.jpg

Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	15289   Click image for larger version

Name:	522222_3333362491584_1194180282_32693228_1380413855_n.jpg

Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	15290   Click image for larger version

Name:	537684_3333366731690_1194180282_32693232_1255740782_n.jpg

Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	15291  

Thumbs up

Hi

First the good news -

Your actual hairline does seem intact as your loss appears to be diffuse in nature. Having an intact hairline makes it easier to adopt to a treatment regime as people won't be staring at it, should the situation improve (point being, you don't actually need to improve this). Secondly, if you went down the other route, your girl is probably right by saying you'd look good with the shaved look. You have a decent head shape and your complexion would suit it also I would imagine. If you are hitting the gym, then all the better!

On the down side, whilst the lighting most likely makes it seem worse, I would say that you do have some loss going on in a diffuse pattern. It's not so severe that you couldn't benefit from medication but as you point out, Propecia is your best defence in that respect. You need to make your own mind up there dude but for what it's worth, I have used it for years with no probs.

You could always try shaving it down to a 1 guard and see how you feel? maybe then you will get a better idea of what to do next. Either way, you sound like you are doing well in life so don't let this shit mess with you too much.

Alex,

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated and VERY helpful!!! I guess my next question is, has Propecia caused people to lose more hair? I've heard of situations that Propecia causes shedding after a few months on the drug, and they never grow it back...I'm a little weary of that happening, but I'm assuming that's just the MPB taking its course with or without the drug?

I'm glad to hear Propecia is good for diffuse balding though!!

anyone else have other suggestions?

Most pple who Finasteride 1mg (Propecia) retain their hair and many (including me) see an improvement. I did not experience any shedding. But, if you do, it is temporary and not something to worry about.

Really doesn't look too bad at all dude. You hairline looks pretty solid to me anyway. You've loads of options and you're probably years and years yet from others noticing any hairloss. You could try the treatments and even buzz right down and it would look like you have no hairloss at all. As Alex said you've a decent head shape and a good complexion to pull off the buzzed look.

Loads of options and it's really not too bad at all.