+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Do you have a source for your graphs, chrisis?

Even assuming they are accurate, I fail to see the value in them. I imagine that it is assumed that the cause of the immediate side effects for people who take finasterside is that they are sensitive to the massively reduced DHT levels in their bodies. Yet, at a 1/4 dosage, the reduction in DHT levels seems to remain massive (as you said yourself, there is only an ~8% decline). So why would there be any significant reduction in these immediate side effects?

The only real benefit here seems to be that the cost will be cut by 3/4.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
    Do you have a source for your graphs, chrisis?

Even assuming they are accurate, I fail to see the value in them. I imagine that it is assumed that the cause of the immediate side effects for people who take finasterside is that they are sensitive to the massively reduced DHT levels in their bodies. Yet, at a 1/4 dosage, the reduction in DHT levels seems to remain massive (as you said yourself, there is only an ~8% decline). So why would there be any significant reduction in these immediate side effects?

The only real benefit here seems to be that the cost will be cut by 3/4.
    As of yet it's not known what causes side effects. Those who have persistent ones usually still experience them after their DHT levels have returned to normal.

I think the case being made for lower doses or less frequent consumption of the pill is built on anecdotal reports of, people who feel their sides have diminished when lowering the dose et cet.

I'm not saying 1mg a day is necessarily the perfect dosage but there's definitely some science behind it...I mean if e.g. 0.5mg or taking a pill every other day was better there should be more solid evidence supporting it..

Edit: Disregard the first sentence. I believe some sides definitely can be linked to higher than tolerable estrogen levels.

sighsigh:

We don't know exactly how the drug interacts with the male hormonal system, and we don't know what causes side effects in some men, and why they're sometimes persistent.

All I've advised is caution.

I sourced the graphs from Spex who posts on this forum. He's well respected in the hair loss community, and a finasteride advocate if anything, so I don't think they're biased one way or the other. If you want to question their accuracy, there are many question marks that I personally have over the methodology of the trials that (seemingly) prove Propecia's safety.

We don't know, is about as honest as anyone can get when it comes to this topic.

Take the drug at your own risk, because those that say it's fine don't have to deal with consequences, should you suffer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    chrisis are you gonna get back on fin? I'm too scared of fin even with .25mg.

I'm going to try RU first. I think RU could really work out for you at maintaining since you have mild hair loss, it won't regrow but mantain till the new treatments come up.
    It's just so stupid that us guys have to contemplate using such a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    It's just so stupid that us guys have to contemplate using such a drug.
    I don't do it lightly but I am backed into a corner and have no choice.

my suggestion is to take full 1mg and dont think about it. quit this website. millions of pple (including me) take this drug.