Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisis
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Maradona

I'll keep you informed if you want just add me as friends.
    Done! Sounds promising!

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
      • Nov 2011

Yeah I'm definitely going to try it. The problem is the vehicle they are currently using ethanol and pg, if your scalp can absorb it and if it reaches the follicle base, it completely stops DHT from binding to your follicles.

People who had results from RU stopped their shedding dead on its tracks. People who did not have results (their scalp couldn't absorb the vehicle) just didn't have any.

It's a 50/50 shot from my research.

The best source (the american source) should come back within the next month I believe.

I'll keep you informed if you want just add me as friends.

No way i'm touching fin. Maybe .5mg if shit gets really bad.
      I guess it is better for shorter hair right?

Comment

• BaldinLikeBaldwin
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
        I guess it is better for shorter hair right?
        In terms of being easier to apply, yes.

Comment

• UK_
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by sighsigh
          I actually wanted to say something about all the talk about finasteride's potential for permanent sexual side effects.

Every year, tens of millions of people in the US take SSRIs. The rate of sexual side effects for SSRIs are not a measly ~2%, but rather 20% to 40%. The potential for these side effects to be permanent is significant enough that there is even a Wikipedia page devoted to the issue. It seems that tens of millions of people, and all their doctors, decided it was worth the risk to take a medication that has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of harm than finasteride.

This is not an argument against those who tout the harm finasteride can cause. It is simply an observation. It may help to put things in perspective.

I myself once had to take SSRIs for a few months due to an anxiety issue. And yes, I got a bad sexual side effect on them (significant delayed ejaculation). But, for me, the side effect went away as quickly as it came when I stopped the medication.

Perhaps it is because of my experience with SSRIs that the fear-mongering of 2% potential for sexual sides of finasteride (which means, what... like 0.1% for permanent sexual sides?) doesn't really worry me in the way it worries other people on this board. I am not worried about the side effects being permanent. I AM, however, worried about the side effects forcing me to stop taking finasteride, which would mean I could be a very bald man in several years to come.
          That's all well & good, but taking something that prevents the formation of one of the most powerful mammalian androgens for the rest of your life is something I am personally not prepared to do. I have talked to people who have had their entire endocrine system wiped way out of balance thanks to this drug and believe me, they laugh when they compare their previous worries about hair loss compared to the worry of never being able to have children or perform adequately for their partner.

We need better treatments.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
            • Sep 2010

I actually wanted to say something about all the talk about finasteride's potential for permanent sexual side effects.

Every year, tens of millions of people in the US take SSRIs. The rate of sexual side effects for SSRIs are not a measly ~2%, but rather 20% to 40%. The potential for these side effects to be permanent is significant enough that there is even a Wikipedia page devoted to the issue. It seems that tens of millions of people, and all their doctors, decided it was worth the risk to take a medication that has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of harm than finasteride.

This is not an argument against those who tout the harm finasteride can cause. It is simply an observation. It may help to put things in perspective.

I myself once had to take SSRIs for a few months due to an anxiety issue. And yes, I got a bad sexual side effect on them (significant delayed ejaculation). But, for me, the side effect went away as quickly as it came when I stopped the medication.

Perhaps it is because of my experience with SSRIs that the fear-mongering of 2% potential for sexual sides of finasteride (which means, what... like 0.1% for permanent sexual sides?) doesn't really worry me in the way it worries other people on this board. I am not worried about the side effects being permanent. I AM, however, worried about the side effects forcing me to stop taking finasteride, which would mean I could be a very bald man in several years to come.
            DHT in males is most crucial from conception until the end of puberty (some guys naturally produce little or no DHT, which can lead to abnormal genital development and other issues). When you're a full-grown adult, the lower levels of DHT caused by finasteride won't normally have much impact, hence the low rate of side effects.
            There are some people very vulnerable to changes in hormone levels though, and DHT is a particularly potent hormone

Don't sweat it though. I had pretty bad sexual sides on SSRI's like you. So far finasteride is fine for me--I'm on month 21 or so. Took 1.25 mg from day 1, and I actually might switch soon to dutasteride soon.
            If I could do it all over, I probably would be a little more careful about it, i.e. get hormone levels checked before and after. (I also think a tapering-up period on the dosage is wise, albeit unnecessary for most men.)
            One last thing: some guys say they go through an "adjustment period" where there are some temporary sides. Testicular ache is one of the more common ones I've heard about, although I didn't notice it myself. Anyway these initial sides usually clear up on their own. If they don't, you're one of the unfortunate men who is prone to fin side effects.
            Good luck with everything!

Comment

• sighsigh
              • May 2012

Do you have a source for your graphs, chrisis?

Even assuming they are accurate, I fail to see the value in them. I imagine that it is assumed that the cause of the immediate side effects for people who take finasterside is that they are sensitive to the massively reduced DHT levels in their bodies. Yet, at a 1/4 dosage, the reduction in DHT levels seems to remain massive (as you said yourself, there is only an ~8% decline). So why would there be any significant reduction in these immediate side effects?

The only real benefit here seems to be that the cost will be cut by 3/4.

Comment

• BaldinLikeBaldwin
                • Apr 2012

Do you have a source for your graphs, chrisis?

Even assuming they are accurate, I fail to see the value in them. I imagine that it is assumed that the cause of the immediate side effects for people who take finasterside is that they are sensitive to the massively reduced DHT levels in their bodies. Yet, at a 1/4 dosage, the reduction in DHT levels seems to remain massive (as you said yourself, there is only an ~8% decline). So why would there be any significant reduction in these immediate side effects?

The only real benefit here seems to be that the cost will be cut by 3/4.
                As of yet it's not known what causes side effects. Those who have persistent ones usually still experience them after their DHT levels have returned to normal.

I think the case being made for lower doses or less frequent consumption of the pill is built on anecdotal reports of, people who feel their sides have diminished when lowering the dose et cet.

I'm not saying 1mg a day is necessarily the perfect dosage but there's definitely some science behind it...I mean if e.g. 0.5mg or taking a pill every other day was better there should be more solid evidence supporting it..

Edit: Disregard the first sentence. I believe some sides definitely can be linked to higher than tolerable estrogen levels.

Comment

• chrisis
                  • Feb 2012

sighsigh:

We don't know exactly how the drug interacts with the male hormonal system, and we don't know what causes side effects in some men, and why they're sometimes persistent.

All I've advised is caution.

I sourced the graphs from Spex who posts on this forum. He's well respected in the hair loss community, and a finasteride advocate if anything, so I don't think they're biased one way or the other. If you want to question their accuracy, there are many question marks that I personally have over the methodology of the trials that (seemingly) prove Propecia's safety.

We don't know, is about as honest as anyone can get when it comes to this topic.

Take the drug at your own risk, because those that say it's fine don't have to deal with consequences, should you suffer them.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                    • Nov 2011

chrisis are you gonna get back on fin? I'm too scared of fin even with .25mg.

I'm going to try RU first. I think RU could really work out for you at maintaining since you have mild hair loss, it won't regrow but mantain till the new treatments come up.
                    It's just so stupid that us guys have to contemplate using such a drug.

Comment

• mpb47
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                      It's just so stupid that us guys have to contemplate using such a drug.
                      I don't do it lightly but I am backed into a corner and have no choice.

Comment

• ravegrover
                        • Jan 2011

my suggestion is to take full 1mg and dont think about it. quit this website. millions of pple (including me) take this drug.

Comment

Working...