+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iHope View Post
    How long did you take 0.25 or you're still on it Or you're not on fin at all because sides you experienced?
    I stopped taking it completely due to the side effects. I wanted to go back on at a lower dose, but the length of time it's taking for my body to recover has made me very wary. I'm not sure I could do it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    chrisis are you gonna get back on fin? I'm too scared of fin even with .25mg.

I'm going to try RU first. I think RU could really work out for you at maintaining since you have mild hair loss, it won't regrow but mantain till the new treatments come up.
    Nah I'm not considering fin at even 0.25mg at the moment. Must admit I don't know much about RU, other than it's hard to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I stopped taking it completely due to the side effects. I wanted to go back on at a lower dose, but the length of time it's taking for my body to recover has made me very wary. I'm not sure I could do it all again.
    Oh, I'm really sorry for that... I hope you'll find your way! Thank you!

Nah I'm not considering fin at even 0.25mg at the moment. Must admit I don't know much about RU, other than it's hard to get hold of.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to try it. The problem is the vehicle they are currently using ethanol and pg, if your scalp can absorb it and if it reaches the follicle base, it completely stops DHT from binding to your follicles.

People who had results from RU stopped their shedding dead on its tracks. People who did not have results (their scalp couldn't absorb the vehicle) just didn't have any.

It's a 50/50 shot from my research.

The best source (the american source) should come back within the next month I believe.

I'll keep you informed if you want just add me as friends.

No way i'm touching fin. Maybe .5mg if shit gets really bad.

It would have been better to start at a lower dose in my opinion. You got this far in life without taking even 0mg, and 0.25mg is close to being as effective as 1mg.

This is good advice. After a few months at .25 try .5 and leave it there.
    It will save you money too.

Done! Sounds promising!

Yeah I'm definitely going to try it. The problem is the vehicle they are currently using ethanol and pg, if your scalp can absorb it and if it reaches the follicle base, it completely stops DHT from binding to your follicles.

People who had results from RU stopped their shedding dead on its tracks. People who did not have results (their scalp couldn't absorb the vehicle) just didn't have any.

It's a 50/50 shot from my research.

The best source (the american source) should come back within the next month I believe.

No way i'm touching fin. Maybe .5mg if shit gets really bad.
    I guess it is better for shorter hair right?

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    I guess it is better for shorter hair right?
    In terms of being easier to apply, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
    I actually wanted to say something about all the talk about finasteride's potential for permanent sexual side effects.

Every year, tens of millions of people in the US take SSRIs. The rate of sexual side effects for SSRIs are not a measly ~2%, but rather 20% to 40%. The potential for these side effects to be permanent is significant enough that there is even a Wikipedia page devoted to the issue. It seems that tens of millions of people, and all their doctors, decided it was worth the risk to take a medication that has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of harm than finasteride.

This is not an argument against those who tout the harm finasteride can cause. It is simply an observation. It may help to put things in perspective.

I myself once had to take SSRIs for a few months due to an anxiety issue. And yes, I got a bad sexual side effect on them (significant delayed ejaculation). But, for me, the side effect went away as quickly as it came when I stopped the medication.

Perhaps it is because of my experience with SSRIs that the fear-mongering of 2% potential for sexual sides of finasteride (which means, what... like 0.1% for permanent sexual sides?) doesn't really worry me in the way it worries other people on this board. I am not worried about the side effects being permanent. I AM, however, worried about the side effects forcing me to stop taking finasteride, which would mean I could be a very bald man in several years to come.
    That's all well & good, but taking something that prevents the formation of one of the most powerful mammalian androgens for the rest of your life is something I am personally not prepared to do. I have talked to people who have had their entire endocrine system wiped way out of balance thanks to this drug and believe me, they laugh when they compare their previous worries about hair loss compared to the worry of never being able to have children or perform adequately for their partner.

We need better treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
    I actually wanted to say something about all the talk about finasteride's potential for permanent sexual side effects.

Every year, tens of millions of people in the US take SSRIs. The rate of sexual side effects for SSRIs are not a measly ~2%, but rather 20% to 40%. The potential for these side effects to be permanent is significant enough that there is even a Wikipedia page devoted to the issue. It seems that tens of millions of people, and all their doctors, decided it was worth the risk to take a medication that has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of harm than finasteride.

This is not an argument against those who tout the harm finasteride can cause. It is simply an observation. It may help to put things in perspective.

I myself once had to take SSRIs for a few months due to an anxiety issue. And yes, I got a bad sexual side effect on them (significant delayed ejaculation). But, for me, the side effect went away as quickly as it came when I stopped the medication.

Perhaps it is because of my experience with SSRIs that the fear-mongering of 2% potential for sexual sides of finasteride (which means, what... like 0.1% for permanent sexual sides?) doesn't really worry me in the way it worries other people on this board. I am not worried about the side effects being permanent. I AM, however, worried about the side effects forcing me to stop taking finasteride, which would mean I could be a very bald man in several years to come.
    DHT in males is most crucial from conception until the end of puberty (some guys naturally produce little or no DHT, which can lead to abnormal genital development and other issues). When you're a full-grown adult, the lower levels of DHT caused by finasteride won't normally have much impact, hence the low rate of side effects.
    There are some people very vulnerable to changes in hormone levels though, and DHT is a particularly potent hormone

Don't sweat it though. I had pretty bad sexual sides on SSRI's like you. So far finasteride is fine for me--I'm on month 21 or so. Took 1.25 mg from day 1, and I actually might switch soon to dutasteride soon.
    If I could do it all over, I probably would be a little more careful about it, i.e. get hormone levels checked before and after. (I also think a tapering-up period on the dosage is wise, albeit unnecessary for most men.)
    One last thing: some guys say they go through an "adjustment period" where there are some temporary sides. Testicular ache is one of the more common ones I've heard about, although I didn't notice it myself. Anyway these initial sides usually clear up on their own. If they don't, you're one of the unfortunate men who is prone to fin side effects.
    Good luck with everything!