+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine without shedding?

Hello! Im wondering if i am going shedd if im only using rogaine and nothing else (like special schampoos) on my bald areas? I have read much about rogaine and it says that there should only be shedding in the areas that have been applied with rogaine, and since the bald areas don't got any hair from the start then shouldn't it be shedd free??

I see people sometimes saying that they shedd everywhere anyway?? Maybe they where using something else too?

Is there anyone who have experiance about this??

(sorry for my bad grammar)

With best regards..

//please answer

When i took Rogaine last year, i was only using it on my hairline. After about 6 weeks, i went through immense shedding and it was ALL OVER my scalp. Not just my hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaag123 View Post
    Hello! Im wondering if i am going shed...
    Shedding is associated with every treatment for hereditary hair loss that actually works. Where you will shed, how much you will shed, how long you will shed and when will hair start growing back is not something anyone can answer. No one knows. It is different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Folly View Post
    When i took Rogaine last year, i was only using it on my hairline. After about 6 weeks, i went through immense shedding and it was ALL OVER my scalp. Not just my hairline.
    Was it worth using?

Well, i used it for two months and then had the initial shed. Then i had an FUE HT and used it for another 2-3 months after that. Unfortunately, i was shedding so aggressively, my HT surgeon thought i might be having a bad reaction to the minoxidil. So he told me to stop. This was highly unlikely, but i was still an NW2 and had never experienced aggressive shedding before, so it was strange. Anyway, i quit before i could judge any results.

I restarted minoxidil 3 months ago using the following regimen, in an attempt to dodge the initial shed.

Month 1 - Used it once a week
    Month 2 - Used it twice a week
    Month 3 - Used it three times a week
    --
    --
    --
    Month 7 - Using it once daily.

I am up to month 3 now and am using it three times a week. Not shed yet, but it's early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Shedding is associated with every treatment for hereditary hair loss that actually works. Where you will shed, how much you will shed, how long you will shed and when will hair start growing back is not something anyone can answer. No one knows. It is different for everyone.
    Yes, but like i wrote: Shedding is a common side effect but it should only appear in those areas where rogaine have been applied.
    Thats why i found it weird that many shedd everywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Folly View Post
    Well, i used it for two months and then had the initial shed. Then i had an FUE HT and used it for another 2-3 months after that. Unfortunately, i was shedding so aggressively, my HT surgeon thought i might be having a bad reaction to the minoxidil. So he told me to stop. This was highly unlikely, but i was still an NW2 and had never experienced aggressive shedding before, so it was strange. Anyway, i quit before i could judge any results.

I restarted minoxidil 3 months ago using the following regimen, in an attempt to dodge the initial shed.

Month 1 - Used it once a week
    Month 2 - Used it twice a week
    Month 3 - Used it three times a week
    --
    --
    --
    Month 7 - Using it once daily.

I am up to month 3 now and am using it three times a week. Not shed yet, but it's early days.
    Have you gotten any regrowth?

Thats why i found it weird that many shedd everywhere.
    It is different for everyone. My question to those who say they shed everywhere is "How do you know you are shedding everywhere?". When I was going through the shedding phase, I could not tell where I was shedding. When my sister went through her shedding phase she could not tell where she was shedding either. The emotional reaction is "I'm shedding all over". The reality is that this is probably not the case.

Have you gotten any regrowth?
    Not yet. I'm using it at such a slow pace, it will probably take 12-18 months before i notice anything. But if i avoid the initial shed, it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is different for everyone. My question to those who say they shed everywhere is "How do you know you are shedding everywhere?".
    Hi Tracy. My HT surgeon did a 'pluck test' during my minoxidil shedding. Apparently, you should only pull away 4-5 hairs for a normal scalp. He did the pluck test somewhere between my mid scalp and crown and came away with 15-20 hairs. I was only using the minoxidil on my hairline.

I think i was on edge of a massive shed from MPB at the time and I think the minoxidil just triggerred it. So technically, maybe me shedding all over my scalp was MPB and not the actual minoxidil.