+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default crazy ? about grapefruit juice

I don't know how scientific this is, but I have read on several other hair sites that grapefruit juice can intensify FIN sides. I used to be hooked on the stuff and gave it up until recently. Just restated on Fin so wondering if I should drop it again. I have been drinking 2 glasses a night on average fwiw.

Thanks...

Well I see people talking about it but no real proof. Still not worth taking a chance over so just bought some cranberry to replace it with.

One of the people saying not to drink it was the Dr. who used to sell the "Turbo" Minox (15%)

http://www.hairlossfight.com/hairlos.../answer540.php

This site says it can raise E slightly:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...gen-dominance/

Bottom line: No proof, but since I had bad sides before and was drinking it by the bottle, no reason to take a chance this time around.

Grapefruit does block certain enzymes in the hepatic system and small intestine that are responsible for limiting the absorption of some drugs. When it does this it can result in increased absorption of the drug into the blood stream to toxic levels. I'm not sure if it applies to fin or not, I eat grapefruit regularly and have never experienced any sides from fin, but I guess it is possible

Thanks...Well my Dr told me to go easy on it because of the sugar spike so probably a good think to quit regardless.

It could be 100% coincidence, but last time I was on Fin for several years with zero problems then started drinking lots of GFJ after exercising.

Sorry must have wrote that reply half asleep. What I meant to say is after I starting drinking GFJ in large amounts I started having sides. Could be nothing at all but random timing but no reason to take a chance.

So I looked a little harder and surprisingly finasteride is on the list of drugs that interact with grapefruit according to the December 2004 issue of the American Journal of Nursing where this image is from:

so I guess no more grapefruit for baldies...

Beat me to it. Says no interactions here:

http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01216

But be warned grapefruit juice is known to increase cytochrome p450 activity (CYP3A4 maybe?), in other words it can increase metabolism of the drug and bioavailability (uptake)...With some drugs, may or may not do with fin.

I discussed this very issue with a doctor many years ago. His response was basically, while they interact, the amount of grapefruit juice one would have to ingest to cause a negative reaction would be beyond any normal consumption rates. So unless you're pounding a gallon of grapefruit juice a day, you should be just fine.

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of reaction it has with Fin but it was listed. I do know however that you can't have any grapefruit with certain medications as the grapefruit is metabolized through the same enzyme pathway and it could kill you. Lipitor being one of them I think many people have died from ingesting it with grapefruit.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure what kind of reaction it has with Fin but it was listed. I do know however that you can't have any grapefruit with certain medications as the grapefruit is metabolized through the same enzyme pathway and it could kill you. Lipitor being one of them I think many people have died from ingesting it with grapefruit.
    My pops started a statin recently and I was telling him about grapefruit juice too. Pretty mad to think that it can have such an effect.