Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpb47
    • Apr 2012

crazy ? about grapefruit juice

I don't know how scientific this is, but I have read on several other hair sites that grapefruit juice can intensify FIN sides. I used to be hooked on the stuff and gave it up until recently. Just restated on Fin so wondering if I should drop it again. I have been drinking 2 glasses a night on average fwiw.

Thanks...
  • mpb47
    • Apr 2012

Well I see people talking about it but no real proof. Still not worth taking a chance over so just bought some cranberry to replace it with.

One of the people saying not to drink it was the Dr. who used to sell the "Turbo" Minox (15%)

This site says it can raise E slightly:
    Our hormone conditions page provides info on symptoms, causes and treatments of hormone disorders, plus resources for people affected by these conditions. "Because hormone-related d...

Bottom line: No proof, but since I had bad sides before and was drinking it by the bottle, no reason to take a chance this time around.

Comment

• greatjob!
      • Aug 2011

Grapefruit does block certain enzymes in the hepatic system and small intestine that are responsible for limiting the absorption of some drugs. When it does this it can result in increased absorption of the drug into the blood stream to toxic levels. I'm not sure if it applies to fin or not, I eat grapefruit regularly and have never experienced any sides from fin, but I guess it is possible

Comment

• mpb47
        • Apr 2012

Thanks...Well my Dr told me to go easy on it because of the sugar spike so probably a good think to quit regardless.

It could be 100% coincidence, but last time I was on Fin for several years with zero problems then started drinking lots of GFJ after exercising.

Comment

• mpb47
          • Apr 2012

Sorry must have wrote that reply half asleep. What I meant to say is after I starting drinking GFJ in large amounts I started having sides. Could be nothing at all but random timing but no reason to take a chance.

Comment

• greatjob!
            • Aug 2011

So I looked a little harder and surprisingly finasteride is on the list of drugs that interact with grapefruit according to the December 2004 issue of the American Journal of Nursing where this image is from:

so I guess no more grapefruit for baldies...

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
              • May 2011

Beat me to it. Says no interactions here:

Finasteride is an antiandrogenic compound that is used for the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and male pattern hair loss in adult males by inhibiting Type II 5-alpha reductase.

But be warned grapefruit juice is known to increase cytochrome p450 activity (CYP3A4 maybe?), in other words it can increase metabolism of the drug and bioavailability (uptake)...With some drugs, may or may not do with fin.

Comment

• stilted
                • May 2012

I discussed this very issue with a doctor many years ago. His response was basically, while they interact, the amount of grapefruit juice one would have to ingest to cause a negative reaction would be beyond any normal consumption rates. So unless you're pounding a gallon of grapefruit juice a day, you should be just fine.

Comment

• greatjob!
                  • Aug 2011

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of reaction it has with Fin but it was listed. I do know however that you can't have any grapefruit with certain medications as the grapefruit is metabolized through the same enzyme pathway and it could kill you. Lipitor being one of them I think many people have died from ingesting it with grapefruit.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by greatjob!
                    Yeah I'm not sure what kind of reaction it has with Fin but it was listed. I do know however that you can't have any grapefruit with certain medications as the grapefruit is metabolized through the same enzyme pathway and it could kill you. Lipitor being one of them I think many people have died from ingesting it with grapefruit.
                    My pops started a statin recently and I was telling him about grapefruit juice too. Pretty mad to think that it can have such an effect.

Comment

• mpb47
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
                      My pops started a statin recently and I was telling him about grapefruit juice too. Pretty mad to think that it can have such an effect.
                      Just a FYI: Since reading these messages that it might be ok , I tried drinking it again as I had 1 bottle left. Now I am tired every morning and every night so maybe thinking it's just too much sugar for me ( I was told I am pre-diabetic)

Up until this week I was always drinking Ocean spray GFJ and after drinking a bottle of generic GFJ I noticed a big difference. THe Ocean spray is far more sweeter and has a more addictive taste to it. So they are probably spiking it with something and I will be sure to avoid this brand in the future.

Comment

• zurich
                        • Dec 2016

I take coversyl for blood pressure and grapefruit interacts. Seems like grapefruit is too acidic for a lot of meds.

Comment

Working...