+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Have you considered having the plugs from the top removed , and shaving your head

Ive read , on another site , where several guys have done it

Yea , you will have scars on the back ........but it may be a better option

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Have you considered having the plugs from the top removed , and shaving your head

Ive read , on another site , where several guys have done it

Yea , you will have scars on the back ........but it may be a better option
    Dr Beehner did removal on a guy called ` bachstrad ` it looked great hardly tell were the plugs had been

ejj

Quote Originally Posted by Lounk61 View Post
    How old are you now and have you used up your scalp donor area? What Norwood level are you? I have the dark fine hair with the light scalp situation like you. The 2300 strip grafts I had in Nov are growing but I can tell I'll need a ton more to look reasonable. The hairs were put into my bald front and thin temples and sides that were damaged by weaves. My top is bald with some ugly useless plugs up there. Umar wants to start me with a 3 day session of 4500 grafts with scalp and beard hair. At $8 a pop that's $36000 which is too much for me financially at this point. I'd be willing if it wasn't so expensive. I had the 2300 grafts done at $3.50 a pop. And then I don't know for sure how the beard hairs will look up there. Risky and expensive. Not a great combo. I can't do anything for at least another 5 months anyway since I'm at the 7 month stage now.Thanks for cluing me in on your experience with Dr Umar. Wish there was more definitive experiences and results posted on body hair to scalp transplants. Good luck with your results.

Yes, I have used up my scalp donor. I'm in my 40's. Dr. Umar can restore your hairline like he did mine, using scalp and nape hair. What I've learned in repair is the hairline is the easy part, as nape, scalp and beard can all be used to achieve a completely 100% undetectable hairline (as long as it is not too low, that is another issue). Filling in the plug zone is your real challenge. I wouldn't worry at this point about how the beard hairs are gonna look, Dr. Umar will blend them with your plugs and whatever sources he uses to get a normal look, that is his greatest strength, in my humble opinion. The worry I'd have is sufficient density to conceal the plugs. That is always a concern when repairing a bald scalp that is covered in plugs, getting the density. I'm fairly certain you have more scalp donor available than you might think, after 8 or 9 strips I has much more scalp donor available then I thought I had.

Cost, of course, is always a concern as well. I'd suggest you break your repair into two sessions, or ask Dr. Umar for a break on the cost.

One thing I've learned is do not go into any surgery with anyone unless you have mapped out a plan for a complete repair with your surgeon and you are comfortable with both the plan and the doctor. If for any reason you are not comfortable with either the plan or the doctor, stop right there and don't proceed. You don't have the time, donor, or money to waste. I'd recommend researching all your options, as I've also heard good things about Dr. Bisanga. My advice would be choosing between he or Dr. Umar, as they are both the most skilled at repair utilizing non scalp donor.

Good luck, do your research, and make a plan that will work for you, then stick with it until you are repaired. You might want to consider "cheating' with Prothik or Courve as well, although you might need a few sessions done before you can

Thanks again for your valuable info. I'm determined to get this all sorted out and fixed. You're advice on having a total plan is spot on. I don't want to go piece meal on this. There are just too many variables and uncertanties in all of this. Right now I'm waiting to see how the 2300 grafts I got will look after a year. I had them done with Dr Keene in Tucson. She is very good but is not a fan of bht. She thinks I'll have more donor hair to work with but like I said I don't think It'll be enough without the use of body hair to make me look reasonable at my age. I'm still keeping my options open with Dr Umar. I would have to get a break on the cost so I would ask him about that. Being that he told me he would like to start with a 3 day 4500 graft session meaning that would not be the last. I would hope that hair transplant costs will come down some in the future or that some other method is developed. My time is limited though.

Lounk61 my suggestion to you would to go very slowly when using body and beard hair no more than 1000 grafts. Every mega session bht I have viewed over the years appeared to be low in yield. You also need to assess the aesthetics as you go as I have also seen too many results that looked bizarre. It’s not enough to just have hair on you head. If you do go for a mega session which I repeat is a bad idea in my opinion then you also need to accept responsibility for the outcome.

Slow and continued improvement is the best approach in my opinion. You can also view my thread “Follow My Major Repair”. Mega sessions only benefit the clinic and are high risk propositions for the patient.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Lounk61 my suggestion to you would to go very slowly when using body and beard hair no more than 1000 grafts. Every mega session bht I have viewed over the years appeared to be low in yield. You also need to assess the aesthetics as you go as I have also seen too many results that looked bizarre. It’s not enough to just have hair on you head. If you do go for a mega session which I repeat is a bad idea in my opinion then you also need to accept responsibility for the outcome.

Slow and continued improvement is the best approach in my opinion. You can also view my thread “Follow My Major Repair”. Mega sessions only benefit the clinic and are high risk propositions for the patient.
    My advice Lounk61 is to listen to topcat, whatever he says is for your own good. He knows his stuff bro. No other guy in these forums know as much as him as for hair transplants.

Lounk61 I would also add I have seen some of these mega strip patients that had very little yield. One in particular had approximately 8500 fu placed and the yield looked like 1000. The strip only clinics like to post the home runs but the patient that ends up wasting his donor going for the mega session slips into a black hole. When I see these huge numbers posted by clinics I think hey a-hole what if the yield is low now what does the patient do? It's poor advice in my opinion. This same patient went to a bht clinic trying to solve the problem he was now presented with and instead of giving him good advice to go slow as his yield was not very good with the strip at the other clinic they do a massive beard and bht session. This is complete idiocy on the part of the clinic and just pure greed. Last post from that patient was around the 8 month mark and his result looked like shit with very little yield and now that patient has disappeared. That is the way it works my friend so for you own benefit go very slowly you gain nothing by taking huge risks. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your experienced advice. In your opinion then even going slow and taking your advice would I be able to get a reasonable result with whatever donor hair I have left plus bht transplants or am I just going to be disappointed. Just turned 61 so time is not on my side with possible cures coming up. The 2300 strip grafts I had in Nov are still growing in but to look reasonable I know I'll need a ton more. And thanks for replying and helping out people who have much less experience like myself and am looking for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    My advice Lounk61 is to listen to topcat, whatever he says is for your own good. He knows his stuff bro. No other guy in these forums know as much as him as for hair transplants.
    Thanks for the tip. I appreciate your input.

Lounk61 you probably already know that it all comes down to numbers. What do you have available and how much area needs to be covered. You should post some pictures it’s hard to give you an opinion. I will say that the beard hair has to be close enough of a match in caliber otherwise it could look odd. But if you still have head donor the hair line is where it should be used. It needs to natural to the point of being flawless as anyone that has had a bad hairtransplant knows the eyes of those who you come in contact with tend to drift towards that area and it can be uncomfortable. The body and beard hair can be used as filler behind the hairline with head donor if it’s available. Then address the crown last or not at all depending on your situation.

61 is young if you are taking care of yourself so if not start taking care of your health. Then plan on at least 3-4 years. It becomes a safe strategy along with being affordable as the sessions are small.