+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yo, great post. I am also in the UK.....and Belgium seems the best place geographically to go for a Hair Transplant.

Can I ask:

- How long did you have to wait to have your hair transplant from day of booking it?

- What do you mean by recovery time? may sound silly but what was the issue during this time? ie. was it discomfort in having a tight scalp, the healing of the scar? the healing of the recipient area? was the recipient area sore and red looking for a while.

Personally I don't know how I would cover up the strip scar, if I grew my hair out to cover it then I'd look stupid, I'd look like Terry Nutkins as I have no hair on top.......was this the same for you or did you still have some hair on top?

clee984,

Great write up.

Enjoy your new head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    - What do you mean by recovery time? may sound silly but what was the issue during this time? ie. was it discomfort in having a tight scalp, the healing of the scar? the healing of the recipient area? was the recipient area sore and red looking for a while.
    Yeah Im quite worried about the recovery time. In fact while I wish it wouldn't influence my decision, it really is influencing it, in that its putting me off getting FUT just cause Im too scared to go back to work with only having 3 weeks off. How did you look after 3 weeks? Did you have an excuse to say to people?

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    Looks great man congrats. I am also thinking of going with feriduni and am currently trying to decide between FUE and FUT. Im trying to get as much input as possible, so Im curious given that Feriduni is famous for both procedures why you went with FUT?
    Thanks for all the positive responses, guys.

I went with FUT because it was cheaper and because the yield was greater - I would have got fewer grafts with FUE. I was emboldened by both Dr Feriduni and Dr Wong being very impressed with my donor - Dr Wong told me that I would have plenty enough donor left for a second round in a few years, if I wanted it.

@sausage (great username btw), I can't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure it was just over two months from the time I booked until I had my procedure.

re "recovery time" - no, that doesn't sound silly at all, that's my fault for being ambiguous, sorry - what I mean by "recovery time" is the amount of time after the procedure before I felt comfortable being in public without any form of concealor or hat etc - ie the length of time before I felt my skull didn't betray any signs of having had surgery. There was no pain or discomfort after a few days, the only sensation is a slight numbness - which, bizarrely, for me actually proved to be a bonus - since I was a teenager I have been affected by a stress-related rash on my scalp, it's itchy and painful. After I had my HT, I couldn't feel it anymore! Which was really, weirdly cool.

@bighair, ummm, I think after three weeks I felt ok being out and about with concealor - I buzzed my hair to a number 4, and used the concealor on the transplants up top, and on the scar. If this is a big concern for you, FUE is probably the way to go.

I hope that helps, please feel free to hit me up with any more questions or clarifications, it's very gratifying to me if I can offer any sort of help to guys considering this, because I know the pain of hair loss, and how much confusing information there is out there.

Cheers Clee.

Can't remember if you said if you went for a consultation face to face or if you had one online?

If you had one face to face how did you arrange it? I can't see anything on Feriduni's website.

Cheers Clee.

Can't remember if you said if you went for a consultation face to face or if you had one online?

If you had one face to face how did you arrange it? I can't see anything on Feriduni's website.
    I had an online consult, then met with a couple of Dr F's patients - I contacted the clinic and asked for UK patients I could meet with - CANNOT recommend this highly enough, I saw both their results in person, and they were both extremely generous with their time. Seriously, do this before you make any kind of decision. From what I can recall, Dr Feriduni's website was a bit.......well, crap. It might have changed now.

I believe that Spex is now the UK rep for Dr F, if you're thinking of having a procedure, seriously, talk with him, he's one of the most knowledgable guys around, he won't BS you - he'll tell it like it is. Dr F will give you a face-to-face consult, for free, but you might have to go to Belgium for it - better to talk to a guy like Spex first.

Please, please, PLEASE keep doing what you're doing now - asking questions. Meet with as many people as you can and check out their results, don't rush into anything. And if I can help, ask me anything you like, I have no vested interest in this, it makes me feel good about myself, if, just maybe, I have helped someone to make the right decision

Cheers Clee. Much appreciated.

I am confident in Feriduni's work based on reviews, the fact he is IAHRS certified and after viewing many photos of his work, in particular many cases similar to my own.....I think all I need now is a face to face consultation....and then go from there. If I can get a consultation with all IAHRS surgeons in Belgium then that will be ideal....

I am fine with paying for a trip to Belgium just for a consultation, I live near London so the Eurostar is easy for me to access and good value. If I can do it in a day then that will be a bonus as there will be no hotel fees and if as you say the consultation is free then double bonus.

I am not expecting much and not getting my hopes up. It may be the case that I may not be right for surgery or what can be done for me might not be enough to warrant going ahead with a hair transplant.....

I have emailed several of Feriduni's email address's I came across to receive a 'expect a reply within 20 days'. I hope it is much quicker than that, 20 days is a bit of a long time to wait for a email response. I did find it odd that there is no where to book a consultation on his website. I guess I will wait for an email reply, if nothing arrives in the next few days then I guess a phone call will be necessary.

I have a lot to discuss with him and am open on his ideas and am happy to compromise on hairline, density etc I just need to find the right mix, I understand I am limited but you never know I might be surprised at what can actually be achieved.

Cheers Clee. Much appreciated.

I am confident in Feriduni's work based on reviews, the fact he is IAHRS certified and after viewing many photos of his work, in particular many cases similar to my own.....I think all I need now is a face to face consultation....and then go from there. If I can get a consultation with all IAHRS surgeons in Belgium then that will be ideal....

I am fine with paying for a trip to Belgium just for a consultation, I live near London so the Eurostar is easy for me to access and good value. If I can do it in a day then that will be a bonus as there will be no hotel fees and if as you say the consultation is free then double bonus.

I am not expecting much and not getting my hopes up. It may be the case that I may not be right for surgery or what can be done for me might not be enough to warrant going ahead with a hair transplant.....

I have emailed several of Feriduni's email address's I came across to receive a 'expect a reply within 20 days'. I hope it is much quicker than that, 20 days is a bit of a long time to wait for a email response. I did find it odd that there is no where to book a consultation on his website. I guess I will wait for an email reply, if nothing arrives in the next few days then I guess a phone call will be necessary.

I have a lot to discuss with him and am open on his ideas and am happy to compromise on hairline, density etc I just need to find the right mix, I understand I am limited but you never know I might be surprised at what can actually be achieved.
    No worries mate, I would offer to meet with you myself if you wanted to chat about it, but I'm living in France at the moment. You might well find that you are surprised by what can be achieved - I was, the two docs I consulted with (Dr Feriduni and Dr Wong) were both much more optimistic about my HT prospects than I had expected, and the final result was way better than I had hoped. The key thing is just to keep doing what you're doing now - weigh everything carefully before making any kind of decision. All the best.

Before the HT, what Norwood were you? Now that it's been 6 years since your first one, are you planning on getting another done or are you satisfied with what you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    Before the HT, what Norwood were you? Now that it's been 6 years since your first one, are you planning on getting another done or are you satisfied with what you have?
    Hi Rizaan, I was around a norwood 3 I guess, maybe a 4. I shaved my head for a few years, then grew it back, but my hair was clearly thin and had the horseshoe pattern developing on my crown.

I am still very satisfied with my HT. Whether I would have another one, is..........an interesting question. I have a definite case of 'hair greed', where I can't help but look at my hair now and the result I got from my first HT, and think, why not? I'd love to have more hair, I'd love for it to be even thicker on the crown and front (I'm not so concerned with having a high forehead, I actually quite like that).

On the other hand, it is surgery, and expensive surgery at that. There is absolutely no guarantee that I'll get as good a result as first time around, or even that I won't have a bad result and undo what I have now.

Another consideration is that I'm married now, and as far as I know my wife doesn't even suspect that I've had a hair transplant - she has noticed the scar, but I just told her it's one of many in my collection (I have various scars from various different accidents/procedures, fortunately none of them too obvious). So I would have to tell her and have her onboard, although she has picked up on me being restless about not having a full head of hair, and she does take the time to compliment me on how nice my hair looks, how soft it is and all those nice wife-y things that wives are supposed to do, so she might not be entirely against the idea.

Ultimately, I feel okay with my hair how it is. I'm like everyone else on this forum, praying that some genius bods somewhere come up with a cure soon, but I think I can hold out for now, and not sure I would want to put myself through the time, expense etc.

But just to re-emphasize, I am delighted with the result I got, I am in my mid-30s now and were it not for an HT I would be bald. Thanks to an HT, and if I'd been more diligent about taking propecia and rogaine (I'm an idiot) I would have a full head of hair. As everyone says, always, that doesn't mean I would recommend it for anyone else, just that the HT definitely worked for me and made my life so much better.

I can probably post a picture if you'd like to see what my HT looks like 6 years later. All the best.