+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The painful truth! How can I get help?

Hi I am a 48 year old man who has always had great hair!
    Well I guess I have a bald spot! I have been in denial... but I took the photo this morning. It hurts. But I know men who are very bald.

Is there anything I can do to reverse this?

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702-copy.jpg

Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1270  

You’re not going to get a lot of people crying for you here if that’s all you got at 48 You should consider yourself very lucky to have had all your hair till almost 50!
    If you start taking Propecia now chances are you will grow some back some and keep what you have for another decade or so. Being as old as you are MPB is usually very slow moving. You should be fine.

Thanks.

Does Propecia cause manboobs?

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi someguy--at 48, with your level of loss, you would seem to be an excellent candidate for a HT---with or without propecia.

Obviously, in the best case, you would be a good responder to Propecia, with no side effects (generally most people fall into this category) and coupled with a HT would effectively eliminate your bald spot.

Looking at your pic maybe 1200-1800 grafts--- we could be a bit more aggressive because your 48.

At this point, it is entirely up to you how to proceed.... you could get on Propecia for 6-8 months and see if you crown improves and then explore a HT--or you could forgo the wait and decide to go forward now.

Do some research and consults to get a feel for approach, cost, etc....

You will have a choice between strip or fue methods--so make sure to ask a ton of questions!

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Thank you.

After showing my wife this photo she had me look at the back of my head in the mirror after taking a shower and combing my hair. It looks 50% better! It's nowhere near as bad as this photo.

How much does a Hair Transplant cost? I'm currently out of work.

How about dermarollers? Do they help?

Hair transplant costs vary widely, but you're probably looking at a few thousand bucks. You're a lucky guy at 48 if that little spot is your only issue. I'm 35 and I have even worse crown issues!

Doctor Representative

Yes I agree with PayDay consider yourself to be pretty lucky. It's in my opinion that Propecia give's best results. Everyone is different!!! In some cases it maintains the hair you have, others grow back the hair they have lost. Good Luck

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

A HT for a person in your position would be 5000-8000 dollars.

I apologize, but I failed to mention that concealers will add the look of density to your crown as well.

Dermatch--which colors the skin and hair is a nice choice

Nanogen-- which uses fibers to bond to the hair

Both of these are low cost and certainly worth a shot while your working through all the information.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Thanks everyone.

Where would I go to get a consultation on a hair transplant? I'm out of work and I JUST KNOW the wife would say the money can go to something better. Since we have children she is probably right.

I will go get Propecia and try it. I did start it about 4 years ago but stopped. Stupid me.

My spot does look much better when my hair is washed and combed, but it's still there.

Default SomeGuy - Reference: Finasteride

Hello SomeGuy,

In reviewing your photo ... I would DEFINITELY recommend that you start on Finasteride!! FYI - Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia. I believe that Propecia is very expensive, so I offer my patients the generic Finasteride which is also combined with Selenium & Biotin!
    Regardless, you should start on the Finasteride sooner ... then later!
    Finasteride is approximately 89.9% effective .... It does NOT re-grow hair, but it can reverse the 'vellus' hair back to a good thicker 'terminal' hair.
    If you need more information, please feel free to call me directly.
    Mark D. Baxa, MD