+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice For An N2?

Hello,
    My hair began to slowly thin in my mid 20's. I'm now 34. And I'm an N2.

The hair all the way from my hairline to my crown is thinning. I'm starting to see scalp all through the horseshoe area (the sides and back are fine). I very much want to prevent further loss in this area and hopefully even thicken it up again.

I fear taking Finasteride/Propecia because of the potential side effects. But I'm seriously considering Minoxidil/Rogaine.

I've been reading your posts and you all seem very knowledgeable about treatments. Might you be so kind as to answer a couple of my questions?

Considering where my hair is thinning...

1.) What percentage Minoxidil should I begin with?

2.) If I use it twice a day and consistently is it likely I'll be able to keep the hair I have now indefinitely? (I could live with what I have now, but I don't want to lose anymore... )

3.) I found the following product on Amazon: "Men's Rogaine Extra Strength 5% Minoxidil Topical Foam Unscented" It's the most popular listing, but would it be the best fit for me? Do you like this type and brand?

4.) The product is listed at $42.97 (not including shipping) for 3 months worth. Is that a good price? I'm willing to pay that if it's the most effective brand/type. Below is the link to the product:http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Regrow...pr_product_top

5.) Can I still have good results if I only use Minoxidil/Rogaine, and I don't use Fin?

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'm very grateful for any and all advice!

If you want to keep the hair that you have, Fin. is the only good option. Don't be afraid - millions of pple (including me) take it every day.
    Minoxidil doesnt address the cause of hairloss (DHT). It simply, regrows some hair and it works best when used alongwith Fin.

Ravegrover already said what I was going to say. I agree with him.

Starting with Rogaine first is pointless. Start with Finasteride first, it's cheap if you get the generic version of it.

Using both at the same time is good too, that's what I do.

Finasteride is the most potent weapon.

Minoxidil on it's own won't do much at all.

Hi Prevention,

As a Norwood 2, you probably would not gain appreciable benefit from Minoxidil, especially if used alone. The first line defense for males is Finasteride. Minoxidil is the second line of defense for males. Some males need to use both.

If you have thinning in your vertex and/or mid-anterior, you could possibly gain appreciable benefit from using Minoxidil. Keep an eye on these areas. If you notice your part getting wider when you part your hair down the middle, you are thinning in your mid-anterior and/or vertex.

Nizoral shampoo and the laser comb may also be helpful to you. Though I must concede that both might be more beneficial for women than they are for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Nizoral shampoo and the laser comb may also be helpful to you. Though I must concede that both might be more beneficial for women than they are for men.

Yeah, I don't remember getting much benefit from Nizoral shampoo. I used it for a good amount of time, enough to know that it really doesn't do anything for me, in 2009 for 6 months, when my hair was at it's worse. I then got off it and haven't looked back. Finasteride by itself single handily stopped my hair loss. Maybe Nizoral works for some, but it didn't work for me.