+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Other side of the coin:

I started taking finasteride after joining the forum, and was convinced it was safe due to the volume of people saying it is safe here - rather to the contrary of what is being suggested here. Lo and behold I got side effects within 2-3 months. If it was because of something I read online, then I should have got the side effects straight away.

I also know a few people on Propecia, who don't post here. Out of 4 friends, 2 have sides and 2 haven't mentioned getting any - which doesn't mean they're not.

I don't buy the argument that people join a hair loss forum to complain about side effects. They come here for general hair advice, and therefore I'd expect it to be a fair reflection of reality. If there are more reporting sides than the figures suggests, then it's time to question the figures. The fact Merck and FDA are now in "reverse" position in terms of their warnings and labeling, is enough to arouse suspicion as well.

Whatever the truth is, it is not wise to base a medical decision on anecdotal advice.
    Hasn't this just contradicted your entire argument?

Also I wasn't suggesting that you have gotten sides because you saw something online. I'm just saying that some people will go online because they have gotten sides. You say people are here for advice and not to complain, well yes that is often true. People are far more likely to need advice in cases where the drug isn't working and/or is giving them bad sides.

I understand that you are probably just trying to help people, but it feels slightly like your (understandable) frustrations are causing you to have an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    Hasn't this just contradicted your entire argument?
    You have your anecdotes and I have mine. The non-contradictory conclusion is that nobody should make a medical decision on that basis.

Agenda? You start this topic claiming Propecia is probably fine because you and a bunch of friends didn't get side effects. Extend your little survey to a few hundred people and test it in a controlled environment and you'll have yourself a worthy topic.

Until then.

You have your anecdotes and I have mine. The non-contradictory conclusion is that nobody should make a medical decision on that basis.

Agenda? You start this topic claiming Propecia is probably fine because you and a bunch of friends didn't get side effects. Extend your little survey to a few hundred people and test it in a controlled environment and you'll have yourself a worth topic.

Until then.
    I've been browsing these forums for a few months and it definitely seems like you support the claims of higher percentage of side effects based on anecdotal evidence based on too small of a sample size( experience from a few friends, yourself, message boards, and minimal studies). Quite frankly, I find it irritating.

Those who claim the side effects are in people's minds without research are just as guilty of the above statistical sampling error and their arguments are equally irritating.

As someone, who has suffered rare side effects on other drugs, accutane, I believe you that you legitimately experienced the side effects you claim. I also believe, as we learn later, many FDA approved drugs have side effects at greater rates than originally believed; hence, the labels are changed, companies are successfully sued, and drugs are removed from the market.

I believe you cannot remove the bias of these drug companies in reporting their data despite the measures taken to remove bias ( blind and double blind studies using random sampling) because of the fact that they are going to present the data in the most favorable manner possible. These companies, like any other company valuate the possible losses from lawsuits against the potential profits from the products and will put out products despite knowing serious potential for lawsuits (look at the Ford Pinto).

Unfortunately, it appears to me, that users like yourself and users on the other side of the argument end up fall for the trap of limiting the argument to personal experiences, poor studies, and other anecdotal evidence. This may be the result of the lack of good data (my personal opinion) or a general lack of understanding of logic (probably a minor factor). Maybe one day we will finally have a more detailed study on finasteride.

Even then we must be careful. I think Mark Twain said it best,"Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

Agenda? You start this topic claiming Propecia is probably fine because you and a bunch of friends didn't get side effects. Extend your little survey to a few hundred people and test it in a controlled environment and you'll have yourself a worthy topic.

Until then.
    Hmm. Well firstly I have never taken propecia. Never claimed to.

As for the underlined part; this has been done, and I think that ED based sides were somewhere around 2-8%?

At this stage, you are purely speculating about the actual percentage deviating from the above figure. I am not. Just like you say, we shouldn't base medical decisions on anecdotes. I am not even saying you are wrong about your suspicions regarding Propecia sides. I have no personal bias on the drug either way. I am just trying to point out that, until something substantial/concrete comes along to discredit the offcial figures, there is no point in speculating. My anecdote and your anecdote cancelling each other out makes my point entirely. There is nothing concrete other than the official figures given.

For now at least...

Have any of you ever had bad sides from FIN, then get back on a much lower dosage and be ok? I had bad bad sides after 3 years and was able to get by with just minox for about 5 years but now the hair right outside my crown spot is getting thinner and softer. Same to a lessor degree at hairline.

On another site people it is suggested that much smaller doses might get results without the sides. Anyone ever try this? Thanks..

Hi , iknow this is kind of old thread but the topic was relating so i want to know about how much does propecia affects our body cz im just 17 and my hair started thining and rite now i cant see my hair at spots that were there jst 2 days ago ,now i can clearly see that i will go bald in just 7 to 8 mnths so i consulted the doctor and he prescribed me FINASTRIDE and MINOXIDIL . i just took it yesterday one pill of finastride and came to know its side effects today in morning so i am pretty depressed about my hair loos cz im just 17 and i want to know whether i should take finastride or not cz it is really helpful for Male hair pattern baldness as many people has said but it has side effects so what should i do i have no idea so tell me all about it honestly so that i can make my decision and how much of chance is there that it will affect me