+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Propecia Side Effects- Percentage affected

Not trying to start a massive argument here, but I just thought I would point out the following:

I know six people currently taking Propecia, and whilst their results have ranged from great regrowth in one case to slightly reduced loss in another, none of them have sides.

As far as I am aware, none of them post on this or any other hair forum. I assume that's because they personally are content with knowing that they are doing pretty much all they can to fight it.

So hence I wouldn't be too alarmed at the fact that lots of people on this forum are reporting sides, and yet the official figure is 3% or whatever. It's likely that a lot of people aren't compelled to join a hair loss forum just to state that they are currently having some form of success. I imagine half of the glory of winning the battle against hairloss must be not having to obsess and research on places like these (not suggesting that everyone here does this).

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    So hence I wouldn't be too alarmed at the fact that lots of people on this forum are reporting sides, and yet the official figure is 3% or whatever. It's likely that a lot of people aren't compelled to join a hair loss forum just to state that they are currently having some form of success. I imagine half of the glory of winning the battle against hairloss must be not having to obsess and research on places like these (not suggesting that everyone here does this).
    bingo!

*** actually gives this warning:
    Please remember that this forum is not an accurate representation of how common side effects are. The minority who do experience them tend to seek out online sources for help. Clinical study data is the only reliable source for this information.

What kind of little girl runs to a hairloss forum and tattles a tale "I know at least 6 people who are taking propecia and none of them have any side effects".

I mean seriously.. you sound ridiculous.

If you don't have any firsthand experience in taking the drug, then don't vouch for the reality (or not) of it's side effects. Let your "friends" come here and speak for themselves.

(I bet they tell you they have 10" dicks too ).

Quote Originally Posted by skipstah70 View Post
    What kind of little girl runs to a hairloss forum and tattles a tale "I know at least 6 people who are taking propecia and none of them have any side effects".

I mean seriously.. you sound ridiculous.

If you don't have any firsthand experience in taking the drug, then don't vouch for the reality (or not) of it's side effects. Let your "friends" come here and speak for themselves.

(I bet they tell you they have 10" dicks too ).
    Incredible response. Fairly speechless.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

Exactly, it's valuable that people post their stories and experiences but a group of forum users shouldn't be seen as a fair representation of all finasteride users. First and foremost one needs to consult with a doctor and read the major studies that have been made so far.

the best way to accurately find out how many people are effected by side effects is looking at studies that have a placebo control group.. this is the most foolproof way to get good results!

Thanks! (you should be).

Fact of the matter is most people will not have side effects. If you are the unlucky ones move on try something different, if you're doing fine on finasteride MOVE on from hair loss forums live your life don't keep proving to yourself it's safe because IT IS SAFE but for you alone.

Thread is useless of course things seem much more than clinical data online.

But one thing merk did not take into account was long term side effects after stopping the drug, that's what happens to most pfs users also most people DO have side effects but do not notice it at the beggining because they are tolerable.

Or they end up having 3 to 5 years later then they stop the drug and KABOOM they're life is over.

They Key here is the crash of hormones, people who get sides at the beggining seem to have low dht high estrogen so that when they take FIN , CHAZAAAAAAM, their dick explodes.

Others people DHT go down as they age or keep going and up down( not because of FIN) and having that extra fin reducing 80% of DHT, CHAZAAAAAM, dick gone, then they drop the drug, KABOOOOOOM dick explodes.

Again this is all probably within 5% MAX.

It's a safe drug for the 95%, DEADLY and CRIPPLING (if continued for a long time) for the remaining less than 5%.

I agree - Way off the chart!

Other side of the coin:

I started taking finasteride after joining the forum, and was convinced it was safe due to the volume of people saying it is safe here - rather to the contrary of what is being suggested here. Lo and behold I got side effects within 2-3 months. If it was because of something I read online, then I should have got the side effects straight away.

I also know a few people on Propecia, who don't post here. Out of 4 friends, 2 have sides and 2 haven't mentioned getting any - which doesn't mean they're not.

I don't buy the argument that people join a hair loss forum to complain about side effects. They come here for general hair advice, and therefore I'd expect it to be a fair reflection of reality. If there are more reporting sides than the figures suggests, then it's time to question the figures. The fact Merck and FDA are now in "reverse" position in terms of their warnings and labeling, is enough to arouse suspicion as well.

Whatever the truth is, it is not wise to base a medical decision on anecdotal advice.