+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair loss and Anxiety.

Hello, I am a young man (23) who has experienced diffuse thinning over the past few years. Over the past few years I also had severe untreated panic disorder. My hair was falling out easily and couldnt run my hand through my head without hair coming out but within a week or two of getting put on my anxiety medication and getting therapy, my hair loss has almost completely stopped, aside from a few random strands that are normal. Is it possible that this is TE induced by stress and not MPB? No significant history of mpb in my family. Only one uncle has thin hair on my mothers side but my mother has a huge family, something like 9 brothers and sisters. My hair line is completely intact too.

Panic disorder triggers the fight or flight response and causes a surge of adrenaline and cortisol. The medication I am on keeps the part of the brain that causes this in check and I maintain a healthy level of of adrenaline and cortisol. Excess cortisol has been linked to hair loss right? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

If you were just thinning and you don't have a receded hairline, it's possible. TE thins all over. How do the sides and back of your head, regions unaffected by MPB, look? If they thinned along with your top and you don't have a receded hairline, you may be one lucky son of a bitch with just TE.

Speaking of hair loss and anxiety, the anxiety that I feel due to hair loss is very profound. Every day I feel constant anger and depression due the fact that I do not look the way that I want to look and there is relatively nothing I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    If you were just thinning and you don't have a receded hairline, it's possible. TE thins all over. How do the sides and back of your head, regions unaffected by MPB, look? If they thinned along with your top and you don't have a receded hairline, you may be one lucky son of a bitch with just TE.
    Its thinned out all over. No horseshoe or "unevenness". I dont look like anything on the norwood scale. I keep it buzzed currently. My hair used to be very weak. My doctor did a pull test and several came out easily and I recently did several, more firm pull tests and I managed to get a strand of hair out, which seems normal. TE takes like 8 or so months to see a difference but I am hopeful after all this research.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Speaking of hair loss and anxiety, the anxiety that I feel due to hair loss is very profound. Every day I feel constant anger and depression due the fact that I do not look the way that I want to look and there is relatively nothing I can do about it.
    Have you considered therapy? Im serious too. Even though I went into therapy for something completely different, it helped alot and improved my quality of life tremendously.

I've tried talking to psychologists, except it hasn't been much help. Whenever I think about accepting hair loss, focusing on other things like my physique (I'm a big guy, weight-lifter), I keep coming back to the same thing: that a life with a full head of hair would be infinitely more happy and fulfilling for than with hair loss. No amount of therapy can keep me from coming back to that same feeling that I just mentioned. It just amazes me how devastating hair loss is for so many people yet what small and ineffective options we have to fight it.

There are many symptoms of anxiety that seem to become self-fulfilling. A common example is hair loss. It often seems that those that live in constant fear about losing their hair may actually contribute to their own hair loss, by giving themselves so much stress and anxiety that their hair may actually fall out.
    Anxiety and hair loss have a complex relationship, and it's probably not what you think. But anxiety can, in some cases, cause hair loss to occur, and in other cases it can make hair loss itself more difficult to control.
    There are many symptoms of anxiety that seem to become self-fulfilling. A common example is hair loss. It often seems that those that live in constant fear about losing their hair may actually contribute to their own hair loss, by giving themselves so much stress and anxiety that their hair may actually fall out.
    Anxiety and hair loss have a complex relationship, and it's probably not what you think. But anxiety can, in some cases, cause hair loss to occur, and in other cases it can make hair loss itself more difficult to control.
    Causes of Anxiety Hair Loss
    Hair loss is never the only symptom of anxiety, and it is very rare for hair loss to occur if your anxiety isn't severe. Make sure that you take test of anxiety before reading onward to compare your anxiety to others and get a better understanding of its cause.
    The key issue between anxiety and hair loss is stress. Anxiety is, in many ways, long term and persistent stress. While technically these are two separate conditions and long term stress on its own can lead to many of the same symptoms, the reality is that anyone dealing with anxiety is putting themselves under severe mental and physical stress all the time.

Hi. There are several causes for stress / anxiety but it can causes you the hair loss issues. Stress can cause many conditions that lead to hair loss which includes
    1.Alopecia Areata : Here, Sudden loss of large clumps of hair in areas around your scalp.
    2.Telogen Effluvium: This is condition where more hairs than normal prepare to fall out.
    3.Trichotillomania : This is habitual condition caused by stress and anxiety where the person pulls out hairs without realizing it.
    It’s also crucial to know that not all hair fall is anxiety relevant. But two may occur at a similar period of time. Many people that start to suffer from hair loss are at an age with many other stresses like kids, work and finances.
    Hope this information is vital in terms of understanding appropriate reasons behind your stress ( anxiety) which can reduce your hair loss.