+ Reply to Thread

Question 24yr old NW5 (Rahal) - Hair transplant scheduled in 4 weeks. Tips?

Hi guys,

I am fairly young and have been reading these forums for quite sometime (3 years) it wasn't until very recently that I decided to step up to the plate and go for the FUT (strip) HT.

After reading reviews and recommendations, it seemed like Dr. Rahal would be the best choice for my hairline as I wanted to have density and for my hair not to have a "pluggy" look like some HTs, for this reason I decided to book my treatment in Canada with Dr. Rahal instead of a local HT IAHRS surgeon.

I am 4 weeks shy of my mid June appointment for 2,800 grafts and I wanted to get some tips for taking care of my hair before and after the HT is complete. I skimmed over the pre/post op procedures emailed to me after making the appointment so I have an idea of what to expect.

I am looking for a few tips in the following areas although feel free to chime in additional stuff to help me out:

1) Scalp exercises - going to be honest and say I may forget here and there to do it twice daily for a month (15 minutes a session). Any downside of not doing these or any tips?

2) After FUT caring/touching of hairline - I should try to avoid touching my recently implanted area as well as donor area, any tips to avoid any rashes or "the need to scratch my head"?
    - Also how well did you manage to avoid water hitting your scalp? I only have a shower at home, so its going to be a bit tough to avoid water hitting my scalp.

3) Wearing hats, any recommendations here?

4) Having a haircut or ask Rahal to trim my sides to a military cut so that I don't have to worry about the barber for 2-3 months or OK to go get a haircut later after HT?

5) Any tips for sleeping, maybe dealing with discomfort?

Thanks guys!! I shall join you soon

Sorry I can't really answer your questions, but hopefully others will chime in.

I'm curious if you have any photos? I was also recommended 2800 grafts by Dr Rahal, so it would be interesting to compare. I'm 28 by the way.

I was advised a more lower HT of 2000 grafts by Dr Feller in a consultation in London yesterday. He thinks I should go for a fairly conservative hairline so that I don't use up too much of my donor supply, as he believes I will need further work in years to come. Worth bearing in mind.

Pics of my hairline are found here, although I'd started a minoxidil treatment which caused quite a bad shed, so my hair is a lot better recently, as you can see here:

I forgot I had registered before so I posted my pics under another username "ThatGuy87" but these are my pics I sent to Rahal and Dr. Hasson for my consultation with both of them online.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showpos...29&postcount=1

I did a little edit before your response, sorry

Thanks for the link.

I see on the basis of your pics why 2800 was recommended as your balding is more progressed.

For question 4) on the basis of your pics, I'd suggest you take a look at spreadlock's photos here. Perhaps you can achieve something like this "epic comb-over". If not then I guess a military cut might be your only option.

As for hats, I asked Dr Feller and Spex about this yesterday and they said caps/hats were absolutely fine to use. I don't think it would be a good idea to use them for the first few weeks while the scars are healing etc. but some loose fitting caps after then would be helpful.

You might want to look at the forums here for advice specific to hair transplants, by fellow patients, doctors and veterans.

Edit: looks like my link has been blocked. I do hate that; so unnecessary. Just Google "hair + transplant + network" and you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    For question 4) on the basis of your pics, I'd suggest you take a look at spreadlock's photos here. Perhaps you can achieve something like this "epic comb-over". If not then I guess a military cut might be your only option.

As for hats, I asked Dr Feller and Spex about this yesterday and they said caps/hats were absolutely fine to use. I don't think it would be a good idea to use them for the first few weeks while the scars are healing etc. but some loose fitting caps after then would be helpful.
    Thanks, I am leaning more of a military cut for the first 2-3 months post op and wearing a very loose Newsboy Hat after. Anyone else recommend against wearing this after the first week post op?

Hey intel,

Scalp exercises are important since they help increase your scalp laxity and therefore may help with the number of hairs that can be grafted. The more lax your scalp is, the less tension on your skin clips (sutures) and the better the wound healing. Therefore scalp exercises might help minimise scarring.
    I’m round about your same age with the same balding pattern but I’ve been refused surgery. So I’m very interested in the outcome of your procedure. Good luck with your transplant.