+ Reply to Thread
    Skeptic1st

Default Donor scar numbness hair stress?

I am nearly three months post op now from my HT strip surgery. I know I was told that the donor area might remain numb and possibly sore for months and possibly even a year or more. My question is weather or not this numbness that is in most of my donor area including my crown can continue(as long as the numbness is present) to stress my native hair causing it to fall out.

I still have a full amount of native hair,but im thinking that my crown is becoming more visable now than before I had the surgery and im relating that to the scar which is just below the crown and the numbness in the entire area.
    In other words.. can stress hair loss be on-going? Or is that something normally only asscociated with the initial surgery for the first month or so?

Fortunately, some grafts were transplanted into my crown area so hopefully once my new hair grows,the area will cover up again..although most of the surgery donor hair went to my hairline and mid-scalp.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Dale

I heard that it can take many many months for the numbness to go away and in some people it never does 100%. I don't think the the nerves in the scalp have anything to do with losing more hair. It might have been from the original transplant so it will grow back in time, or it might just be that you’ve lost more hair overtime.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Prolonged post operative numbness in the donor area is always a concern. However, it is relatively common and can last up to 1 year. Most patients do regain full normal sensation at some point. I do not think this would have any bearing on additional hair loss in the crown area. Did you have grafting done in the areas that you feel are getting thinner post-op? Are you taking Propecia or using Rogaine? The answers to these questions may give additional insight to your situation.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Skeptic1st

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Prolonged post operative numbness in the donor area is always a concern. However, it is relatively common and can last up to 1 year. Most patients do regain full normal sensation at some point. I do not think this would have any bearing on additional hair loss in the crown area. Did you have grafting done in the areas that you feel are getting thinner post-op? Are you taking Propecia or using Rogaine? The answers to these questions may give additional insight to your situation.
    Hi Dr.Charles,
    The answer is yes, I did have some grafting done in my crown area,although most of the grafts went to the hairline and mid scalp areas.I have never been on Propecia,Rogaine or anything else.
    I was just curious if there could of been a relationship between the donor scar numbness(which carries into the crown area) and the accelerated crown hair loss(only since the surgery)
    but maybe it could be the few grafts that were planted in the area that shocked it a bit but I thought shock loss(if I had ANY) was only for the first month following surgery.
    Im just about to turn 38 by the way and I thought the native hair in my crown area was holding up fairly well until the last month or two.
    Dale