+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Issues with premature Rogaine use?

Hi guys. I sort of asked this question before in the 'introduce yourself' section but it was hidden in the middle of a load of other stuff I wrote.

Having monitored my hairline for a few months now without action, I have seen a gradual deterioration at the temples- enough to prompt me into using the Rogaine that was sat unused in my bathroom.

I am though, slightly concerned- this concern being the reason for me not starting Rogaine a few months back- that I might be prematurely using the product. If I am in fact only experiencing a 'maturing' hairline, what issues could I face by applying minox prematurely? I have heard horror stories about dramatic shredding and 'minox dependance' but I figured this would be the best place to ascertain the truth/ useful advice.

Also is Nizoral any good? I am not at the stage yet of considering fin, but I'd consider a shampoo if it will do some good...

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't get any negative effects from using minox prematurely. Minox dependence is only an issue if your hair is miniaturised. If you only have a maturing hairline the most I would expect to see is possibly that you grow some vellus hair in the area that used to be hairy but now isn't.

Likewise shedding should only occur if the hairs are damaged and the minox causes them to go into telogen together to cycle.

Nizoral 2% has shown some good effects in some studies (roughly comparable to minox) and certainly wouldn't hurt. Not sure about Nizoral 1% which is available OTC but I figure that, again, it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    I have seen a gradual deterioration at the temples- enough to prompt me into using the Rogaine that was sat unused in my bathroom.
    It is completely natural and normal for males to lose their temple hair as they mature into adults. The loss of temple hair alone is not an indication of MPB. Since it is completely natural and normal for males to lose their temple hair as they mature into adults, it is not likely that anything you do will stop it. Some males do manage to grow back some temple hair with Rogaine but most do not.

I would be careful putting the minox into the general bulk of the hair, i did this and have had a very heavy shed. I hav been on fin at the samr time, bt i do worry that my hair has become minox dependent as i hav discontinued use of both drugs and have been loosing a lot of hair. Could be the fin or could be the minox which is why im off both until the shedding stops and will maybe look at reintroducing one or the other to discover where the problem has come from.

Either way i am no expert, just my own personal findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
    I do worry that my hair has become minox dependent as i hav discontinued use of both drugs and have been loosing a lot of hair.
    "Minoxidil dependency" is a chicken or the egg issue.

You needed the medicine to hold off the balding process. When you stopped the medicine, the balding process resumed.

I was shedding ten times more hair while on it than i hav after stopping the use. Plus my scalp was horrendous from using it, which is now clearing up and so is the shed. I dont think it helped in my case. But i was using fin as well at the same time so who knws.

Shedding is part of the process of treating hereditary hair loss and it is unavoidable. Shedding needs to happen. Shedding means the treatment was working for you. Stopping a treatment because of shedding is the worse thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is completely natural and normal for males to lose their temple hair as they mature into adults. The loss of temple hair alone is not an indication of MPB. Since it is completely natural and normal for males to lose their temple hair as they mature into adults, it is not likely that anything you do will stop it. Some males do manage to grow back some temple hair with Rogaine but most do not.
    If the temple recession is quite uneven (I'm more receded on my left hand side, also have stronger beard growth on this side) is this evidence for a simple maturing hairline, MPB, or entirely inconclusive?

EDIT: Also, is your advice about temple usage implicitly saying that there is no detrimental affect to premature Rogaine use? Wasted money aside?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    Also, is your advice about temple usage implicitly saying that there is no detrimental affect to premature Rogaine use?
    No. You are "reading into" what I said. Do not do that. It was not advice. It was purely a statement about the matter - and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    No. You are "reading into" what I said. Do not do that. It was not advice. It was purely a statement about the matter - and nothing more.
    Bizarre response. I didn't "read into" what you said. I asked if that would be a correct interpretation. Entirely so I avoided making unfounded assumptions. Thanks for the unnecessarily condescending tone though. "Do not do that" next time maybe?

Thanks for patronising me and not answering my questions though.