+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I was only kidding about the Yahoo/Ask Jeeves links.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I really like you a lot and I don't want to argue with you. Can we just agree to disagree?
    Awwwww. I actually smiled when reading that hahaha. I have to log out now, I don't think i'll read any better comment on here than this. I'll come back another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Not many - but what is your point? MPB is the norm? Of course it is. It always has been. Most males will experience it to some degree by the age of 50. However, the point I am making is that the adult male hair line itself is not a good indication that MPB is happening yet. Many males keep their hair for decades after they develop their adult male hair lines. I feel I need to repeat that. So I will. Many males keep their hair for decades after they develop their adult male hair lines.
    "However it is not a good indication of whether or not a male will be bald - because it is a normal male physical trait"

Yes it is a normal trait but more advanced mpb almost always follows it at some point and yes it may be decades later. For me it was 2 decades later before I started losing hair again. My point is it almost never stops permanently with the mature hairline.

that seems to be sebum, do you have an oily scalp? is that thing white?

I used to have the driest hair on earth a year ago before MPB kicked in, now it's all oily.

The reason for that is that the genetic sensitivity for DHT in the sebaceous gland (gene expression ) has been activated along with MPB at least for me.

It doesn't say anything about your MPB issues if you have them, you could have the gene for DHT sensitive sebaceous glands but not at the follicles beyond your temples.

In my honest opinion, I think you have the gene for hair loss(like most people) but it's not very agressive and it has not expressed completely yet. Only at your temples like people here are saying "mature hairlines".

By the time MPB kicks in REAL GOOD we are going to have a cure and trust me on this you got nothing to worry about.

So enjoy your hair for now, you probably got 15 years left.

Some people have the MPB gene and they never express it beyond their temples(aka my entire family), you might also be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    that seems to be sebum, do you have an oily scalp? is that thing white?

I used to have the driest hair on earth a year ago before MPB kicked in, now it's all oily.

The reason for that is that the genetic sensitivity for DHT in the sebaceous gland (gene expression ) has been activated along with MPB at least for me.

It doesn't say anything about your MPB issues if you have them, you could have the gene for DHT sensitive sebaceous glands but not follicles sensitivity.

In my honest opinion, I think you have the gene for hair loss but it's not very agressive. and it has not expressed completely yet. Only at your temples like most "mature hairlines".

By the time it kicks in REAL GOOD we are going to have a cure and trust me on this you got nothing to worry about.
    Thanks. My scalp goes back and forth because I use product to style my hair and I dont really use shampoo or conditioner. I just rinse out my hair. My scalp goes through alot and usually my hairs dont have sebum sometimes they do but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    You're dad is lucky then, he had a good young-adulthood, 20s, 30s life. My dad started at 25, I started almost 10 years earlier than him. The earliest signs of trouble was 14 years old, i'm not lying. It was not much though, still had so much hair that it wasn't noticeable to other people, just me. I started really losing noticeable amounts of hair when I was 18, then it got at it's all time high at 19 and 20. I'm 23 now. It looks worse because I also have Alopecia Areata, which is patches of hair loss, which was treated with corticosteroid injections at my dermatologist. I also suffered from Vitiligo on my face at the same time, now cured/no signs I ever had it, thanks to twice a day use of Protopic ointment. Dermatologist says these are autoimmune diseases, the AA and vitiligo. It's when your own body is attacking itself. These 3 things all happened at around the same age frame, give or take a year. They're all genetic, but something triggers them, either high volumes of stress or something, so I was basically f-cked from the day I was born.
    wow man you really went through a lot. I also am one of the believers that there is something we do (environmental factors) which express all these genes sooner than expected. I have a couple of illnesses that awakened sooner than they should have and I have one more I am terrified of (it's a ****ed up autoinmune disease) , doesn't even compare to baldness and I hope it never awakens !

So to the original poster, watch out ANYTHING that raises DHT levels, that's all you can do for now. Study DHT levels what raises them what lowers them because in my opinion and from my amateur research I have come to the conclusion that although most people have the MPB gene some do express it earlier because their DHT levels go over a certain threshold.

Once your DHT go over that threshold, you are screwed and your MPB gene has expressed and it's going to eat your hair WAY faster than for normal people.

Of course everyone has different thresholds and all follicles have different DHT thresholds, this is why most of us survive the ONSLAUGHT of DHT in puberty and the ONSLAUGHT of DHT in the mid 20s (aka mature hairline period) and some start balding at mid teens .

Again watch out anything that raises/decreases DHT levels. Do not touch propecia yet, you are too young.

Good luck

As of right now I have nothing to worry about though?

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    As of right now I have nothing to worry about though?
    Yeah nothing to worry about . Enjoy life finish college and then come back here to watch our hairy scalps

I believe by that time we will have a very good treatment.

This will always be on my mind so I will watch it constantly but thank you everyone for your feedback. Yea, I start college next year so we'll see how that goes. If I pay as much attention to my studies as I do to my hair I will end great. Thanks again.

That's a lot of pictures. The only ones that are really helpful are 321, 329, 330 and 333. These show if you have anything to worry about or not.

In my opinion, it looks like you are just starting to thin. If you are, you are catching it early so don't freak out. The best thing to do is talk to a doctor. Make sure you know your family history of hair loss from both sides of your family. If the doctor recommends Propecia or generic Finasteride, make sure you are well aware of all the factual information about it. Do not allow yourself to fall victim to the scare tactics that go on on-line. Educate yourself with the best quality information you can get your hands on and use that to help you make your decision.

I do not think Rogaine or generic Minoxidil would be appropriate for you at this time - if ever. The doctor may feel differently so follow their advice on that. It would be a good idea to start using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Also, get some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it at least once a week but not more than twice a week. Consider the laser comb if you can afford one.