+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default At 19: Coming to grips with baldness...

I'm 19 years old, in my second year of college. I have been struggling with noticeable hair loss ever since the start of college and it has been hell. I have learn't to cope with the constant emotional turmoil of hair loss, and I did go through the five stages of grieve concerning. I am always the person that listens to and solves other peoples problems and just solve my own - which I'm sure hasn't helped with my emotional state. I attempted many things to aid it, but i resigned to attempting to merely conceal it using products like DermmMatch and Nanogen as nothing else seemed to work.

Unfortunately now I've realized that I cannot keep this up, especially on a student budget, and hair numbers are getting to a certain point where I'm not really disguising anything. I'm resigned to shaving it off, there is no other way...
    But I'm scared of my immediate future following hair loss... Has anyone got any good clothing tips for young bald guys, I feel that from following this path I need to re-invent my image, and dressed with style and complimentary could be key.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnone23 View Post
    Unfortunately now I've realized that I cannot keep this up, especially on a student budget, and hair numbers are getting to a certain point where I'm not really disguising anything. I'm resigned to shaving it off, there is no other way...
    But I'm scared of my immediate future following hair loss... Has anyone got any good clothing tips for young bald guys, I feel that from following this path I need to re-invent my image, and dressed with style and complimentary could be key.
    I'm right there with you mate. Second year of college, balding, blah.

Understand there are options. Propecia (generic finasteride), Rogaine (generic minoxidil) and Nizoral A-D shampoo, dubbed 'the big 3', are proven to treat hair loss.

Propecia has the potential for sexually related side effects, some of which might persist after discontinuing medication in a subset of men. Research these well.

Good luck.

Thanks man, it is somewhat comforting to know that there are other people with my woes... young... in college .
    Thanks

Thanks man, it is somewhat comforting to know that there are other people with my woes... young... in college .
    Thanks
    Yea, it ****ing sucks. But you know that. I'm seeing so many young guys (>20, early 20's) come forward with mpb problems, makes me wonder what the is going on with our generation.

Im right there too! Ugh I hate this club were in! Anyway my hairloss had such a bad impact on me i had to leave my college and come to a college close to home.I could not take the constant attempt to hide my hairloss from everyone and wearing hats 24/7 on campus, which noone wants to be that dude. I am so tempted to shave my head too but im scared ill look twice my age and just look like a creep. Hang in there bro im right with you, its a constant uphill battle and im just praying everyday a better treatment like histogen will be here soon. People say hairloss is tough but having it at 19 is truly heartbreaking.

Could not agree more! It is so brutal. It does seem unjust and unfair, mostly due to the age thing. If it happened to me at 30 or 40, when my life was in place, or married etc. It would have been less emotionally taxing. My biggest fear, and I'm sure yours is too is the unknowing of the future, and how/if shaving my head changes my future.

I have just got to wrap my head around the fact that my life will be different, that is the last mental stage I have to cross before I shave my head.

Although I'm resigned to shaving my head, I am going to go for a 2 or a 3. I have no intention of looking like a bond villain! Aha. Anyway, hang in there man, and let me know how you get on!

I'm resigned to shaving it off, there is no other way...
    Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    I am so tempted to shave my head too but im scared ill look twice my age and just look like a creep.
    Shave it off, brahs! After a certain point, that's the only way. Keep using Nizoral, Rogaine, or Propecia (or generic versions) to keep what you have until Histogen comes out. And if Histogen never comes out, well, f*ck, I don't know what to tell you. I guess I suggest we all band together and start burnin' cities to the ground until they fix this sh*t. Desperate times, desperate measures, amiright?

(PS, I don't actually take Propecia and chose not to start, but it comes highly recommended on this site.)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Shave it off, brahs! After a certain point, that's the only way. Keep using Nizoral, Rogaine, or Propecia (or generic versions) to keep what you have until Histogen comes out. And if Histogen never comes out, well, f*ck, I don't know what to tell you. I guess I suggest we all band together and start burnin' cities to the ground until they fix this sh*t. Desperate times, desperate measures, amiright?

(PS, I don't actually take Propecia and chose not to start, but it comes highly recommended on this site.)
    Davey; Sorry if you've already explained somewhere, but what's your personal reasoning for opting not to take propecia?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Davey; Sorry if you've already explained somewhere, but what's your personal reasoning for opting not to take propecia?
    Varying reasons. I think the first thing I read about Propecia when I started to notice my hairloss was someone posting somewhere about experiencing that syndrome they talk about. It was a big turn off, and I had enough hair and even more denial, so I just forgot about it for a bit.

When I lost more hair and become concerned enough to think about taking the risk (and more educated about how little risk there actually is), I was a little more embarrassed about hairloss. The thought of going to a doctor and saying, "Hey, so, my hair is falling out, and I'm so vain that I'd like to alter my hormones to try to save it," was a little much.

It went back and forth from afraid of the sides to embarrassed until eventually I decided, "F*ck all this noise, I'm shaving my head." 1/8th of an inch at first. Then no guard. Then a razor. Surprisingly, it didn't look half bad, and seemed to look better with each step. And at this point, I don't want to go back to worrying about my hair all the time. If I look like this for the rest of my life, I can live with that. Won't be ideal, but I can live with it. I think to some degree, going on Propecia might make me give up that comfort, bring me back into the world of thinking about hairloss all the time. And anyone who has become okay with their hairloss knows that becoming comfortable with it is NOT easy.

Besides, now that I'm more okay with how I look, the "Pros" column for taking Propecia isn't quite so long as the potential "Cons" column.

Though don't get me wrong: comfortable or not, if Histogen comes out and works, I'mma bankrupt my *** to go get it.

I haven't heard much of this Histogen lark before this post... though upon research there seems to be a fair bit of hype with it...