Threaded View

Default Have scientists studied the following...

People may be able to put me straight quite quickly, but these are just some of my thoughts out loud. Questions that haven't been clarified during my research into baldness. On the face of it the answers seem quite obvious, but are they with the latest findings and lack of scientific evidence?

Are there actually differences between "permanent" and "non-permanent" hair follicles?

The general consensus is that there are both permanent and non-permanent hair follicles on the head. On men the sides of the head are permanent and do not seem to be affected by baldness through the life of the sufferer. Where as the entire top of the head from the vertex to the frontal line is susceptible to baldness.

This would lead me to assume that these hair follicles on the sides of the head are different in some way to the hair follicles on the top of the head. They are resistant to baldness.

However, if this is the case, I have not seen this being scientifically proven. To prove this the most obvious thing to do would be to compare the two different follicles to find the differences. Has this been done and has a study been conducted to prove whether this is the case or not?

If the two follicles are different I'd imagine there would be one of two scenarios. Either:

a) Non-permanent hair follicles contain differences which make them susceptible to baldness
    OR
    B) Permanent hair follicles contain differences which make them resistant to baldness.

If (a) is true then the answer to baldness could be removing/destroying the differences in the non-permanent hair follicles so they become identical to permanent hair follicles.

If (b) is true then the answer to baldness could be adding the differences seen in permanent hair follicles to the non-permanent hair follicles, so they become identical to permanent hair follicles.

If the two follicles are actually identical...

If in fact it has been found, or is to be found, that all hair follicles on the head are identical then it could mean that the processes going on inside the body (such as the conversion of testosterone to DHT) are creating the balding environment on only specific areas of the head. On men, this would be the pattern at the top of the head.

With recent findings that PGD2 has been found to inhibit hair growth (and could be a major cause of baldness) and is found in large amounts in balding areas of the scalp then this scenario could be possible. That is, all follicles are actually identical and it's the body processes causing the hair inhibiting environment at the top of a mans head only. It just so happens to be the top. And if in fact the body processes were to cause the hair inhibiting environment over the entire head then men would go completely bald.

I don't mean to regress.

I don't mean to go back to the drawing board in the cure for baldness but to me this seems like the most obvious place to start from when trying to actually cure baldness. But I can't find any research into these areas.

Going back to my first assumption, that (what we call) non-permanent and permanent hair follicles are different, then this would suggest the body process cause the balding environment over the entire head already and that the follicles on the sides of the hair are already resistant. Therefore, instead of trying to grow new hair, or transplant this hair, then why aren't scientists trying to find the differences?

If on the other hand hair follicles are identical and it's the body processes causing the balding environment only on the specific area of the head on the top, then surely this finding would be very crucial in the search for a cure for baldness.

Are there any studies that prove or disprove any of the above?