+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WashedOut View Post
    For me there are two definitions. If you're already bald then it should give you 50% density in a respectable pattern, anything more is just being greedy. If you are not already bald then it should be a simple procedure or treatment that will save your hair forever.
    The holy grail is hair multiplication, it could be used for everyone and anyone.

Imagine taking a few hundred cells from your scalp and a month later being able to transplant over 12,000 new hairs, giving you that hair line you had at 17 even.

That's the f&*%$£g holy grail - not "immunization" lmfao - if only Anthony Atala were working on HM - we'd all be cured by now! That guy can grow over 20 different body organs in the lab.

I can accept that you do not agree with what a true cure means to me. You are not looking at all the pieces of the puzzle and I can accept that - but you are trashing me just for the sake of trashing me. Is there even a slight chance that you could even try to be a decent human being?

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Castration does not immunize hair follicles from the damaging effects of DHT. If that were the case, women would not suffer with hereditary hair loss. Yet women do suffer with it as well as men.
    Tracy, women do produce testosterone and therefore are subject to hairloss from DHT but not to the same degree as a man. They produce less testosterone then a man and likewise they lose less hair then a man...

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    The holy grail is hair multiplication, it could be used for everyone and anyone.

Imagine taking a few hundred cells from your scalp and a month later being able to transplant over 12,000 new hairs, giving you that hair line you had at 17 even.

That's the f&*%$Łg holy grail - not "immunization" lmfao - if only Anthony Atala were working on HM - we'd all be cured by now! That guy can grow over 20 different body organs in the lab.
    Dude, Anthony Atala's lab has been on my radar too and I actually e-mailed them a couple of months ago to ask them if they are working on growing hair, explaining in my e-mail the devastation of hair loss, the very limited options we have out there now, and real need for a cure for hair loss. They basically said that hair regeneration is not something that they are currently working on. All I know is that in order to achieve a hair loss cure, there have got to be a helluva lot more companies/people working to cure it, and not just a bunch of people whose sole job it is to tinker with mice and nothing else. If I can count on one hand the number of companies in the entire world who are working to cure hair loss, then something is terribly wrong!! This makes me think of another alarming fact. There are probably thousands of doctors today practicing hair transplantation yet far less than 10% of the hair loss population opts for a hair transplant. Yet I can guarantee you that far more than 10% of hair loss population would jump at a more effective, and non-invasive cure for hair loss, yet I can only count on one hand the number of companies looking for this cure. When you have thousands of hair loss professionals practicing a treatment that most hair loss sufferers don't even want to get, yet you have only a handful of hair loss professionals working on a potential treatment that the majority of hair loss sufferers would want, then that illustrates that there is something seriously wrong with the hair loss industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
    Tracy, women do produce testosterone and therefore are subject to hairloss from DHT but not to the same degree as a man. They produce less testosterone then a man and likewise they lose less hair then a man...
    You haven't seen my mother or her sisters. Fewer women suffer with hereditary hair loss. However, some can suffer just as much or even more than most men. My mother and my aunt's are living examples of that.

DHT is just the trigger for hereditary hair loss - but it is not the root cause. The sensitivity of follicles to the damaging effects of DHT is the root cause. Not all hair follicles are sensitive to the same degree as others. In the case of women's hereditary hair loss, those who suffer with it have hair follicles that are hyper sensitive to DHT. Therefore even the small amount of DHT in their bodies is enough to trigger hereditary hair loss.

The only way to truly "cure" any problem is to resolve the root cause. Therefore the only way to truly "cure" hereditary hair loss is to find a way to immunize hair follicles from the damaging effects of DHT. Once that is achieved, the rest will follow. There is no magic. More work will still need to be done to repair damaged follicles and get them started back up - but that work will be significantly easier to achieve once concern over DHT is out of the equation.

It is most likely that a true “cure” will be a multi-part treatment approach of immunizing hair follicles and repairing damaged hair follicles. Though some hair follicles will be able to heal and repair with little help, others will need extra help. Cell based multiplication should be able to achieve both those very important goals eventually – if the cells being multiplied are taken from DHT resistant follicles.

PS...anyone know where RichardDawkins has gone?
    RichardDawkins was banned, he is now back at Hairsite under the name MikadoMan..

Quote Originally Posted by CAlex View Post
    do you think any of the current companies were watching will be able to hit those percentages? thats upwards of 100 hairs cm2 which is a big leap from where we currently stand.
    Only if the treatments are compoundable and not too vulnerable to the 'law of diminishing returns.'

For myself, I'm about 80-90% miniaturised in my thinnest patches. So I have let's say 15% of my terminal hair left in that area. Histogen would need to give me a 233% increase in hair to get to 50%.

A couple of their patients did get over 100% increase in total hair count IIRC, but 233% terminal hair increase really is a lot to hope for from one treatment. So I'd probably need two or three treatments. We will have a better idea from the results of the latest trials which explore the compoundable nature of the treatment.

If you're going to use a lofty term like "holy grail", I'd say my version of that would be a one time application cream that has you wake up with a full head of hair. It costs a dollar in the pharmacy isle, and there's a 50% off coupon for it in Sunday's paper. You may say that's not realistic, but neither is the Holy Grail...

Hair multiplication would be d*mn nice too though. I feel like I've heard of people cloning hair follicles a few times throughout the years. Why do I never hear about that later? What goes wrong? Isn't that process basically figured out, or am I remembering incorrectly?

And on the argument you're having, I think Tracy C is just considering a different definition of the word "cure." It seems like she wants someone to actually fix the head. Hair multiplication seems more along the lines of the ultimate Jerry rigging for the scalp. Aesthetically though, I don't think a "real cure" or "the ultimate Jerry rigging" would look any different, so either is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    I think Tracy C is just considering a different definition of the word "cure." It seems like she wants someone to actually fix the head.
    You got it. Once that is achieved, the rest will follow because it will be much easier to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You got it. Once that is achieved, the rest will follow because it will be much easier to achieve.
    Yeah, and personally, I would way prefer this too. Something about it. I just want THAT hair back. But I see where he's coming from too. Once you immunize hair follicles, there is still the hurdle of repairing the damage that is done.

Hair multiplication wouldn't be a "cure", but it would be a one step fix that immunizing follicles couldn't be without figuring out how to reactivate the follicles. I wouldn't argue with someone that wanted to call that a cure, 'cause it's all just semantics as far as how you look cares.