+ Reply to Thread

Default 37 Y/O and MPB has kicked into overdrive... And it Stinks!!!

Hi Everyone. I've been quietly viewing this forum for several months. Started last fall after I really started to notice some thinning. Like many others, I freaked out and started searching for info. I'm glad I found this place as it seems like good, knowledgeable people looking to help. I wanted to jump right into a HT but quickly found out from you good people that is not the answer. Research is the key.

I had some thinning for several years that was moving at a snail's pace. It was nothing noticeable to anyone except me and it didn't bother me. But for whatever reason it went into overdrive last fall. I noticed more hair in the shower, on the pillow, everywhere except for my damn head!

I still have good coverage at the moment with a tiny bit of thinning in the crown and my hairline is a bit receded but nothing major YET. But I can see the writing on the wall!!

My goal now is to maintain what I have for as long as possible. So I decided its time to put up or shut up!!!! I went to a derm, who didn't know squat about hair. He looked at my hair for 5 seconds and said yes its MPB but for someone your age, your hair is fine. He suggested I do nothing! But after some prodding I told him I'd like to try Propecia and he prescribed it.

I filled the prescription and think I finally will get the courage to start taking it! I am definitely a bit nervous about the side effects that I read about on this forum. But I hope they are not the norm and there are many people using Propecia w/o the sides. I used to complain that my hairline was a bit further back than I would like, but now that MPB is going faster, I'd LOVE to just keep what I have.

It's really crazy the emotional effect hair loss has on people. I thought I was being a whining whimp!!! But after talking to a friend who is already bald and viewing this forum, I am happier to know that I am not alone in wanting to keep the hair!! I can definitely tell the younger guys on this forum that if you care about hair now, you'll still care when you are "older". Although, I defintely agree that it is much worse to lose it at 18, 19, 20 like many of you are as compared to your mid 30s like me! I remember back when I was 18 or so and I just started college. I think I must have gotten my "mature" hairline then and it freaked me out thinking I was losing my hair. I wasn't thankfully. But I remember thinking just give me hair until 40 and I'll be happy. Well I'm almost 40 and I still don't want to lose it.

I'm hopeful the Propecia will stop the loss for now! And really hopeful some better treatments come along SOON. I guess we'll know about Replicel here shortly!

Take care everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by stopfallingout View Post
    I had some thinning for several years that was moving at a snail's pace. It was nothing noticeable to anyone except me and it didn't bother me. But for whatever reason it went into overdrive last fall. I noticed more hair in the shower, on the pillow, everywhere except for my damn head!

It's really crazy the emotional effect hair loss has on people. I thought I was being a whining whimp!!! But after talking to a friend who is already bald and viewing this forum, I am happier to know that I am not alone in wanting to keep the hair!! I can definitely tell the younger guys on this forum that if you care about hair now, you'll still care when you are "older". Although, I defintely agree that it is much worse to lose it at 18, 19, 20 like many of you are as compared to your mid 30s like me! I remember back when I was 18 or so and I just started college. I think I must have gotten my "mature" hairline then and it freaked me out thinking I was losing my hair. I wasn't thankfully. But I remember thinking just give me hair until 40 and I'll be happy. Well I'm almost 40 and I still don't want to lose it.

Take care everyone!
    You are a second waver like me. Welcome to the club
    Getting tagged so late in the game really bothered me too. An article by a hair doc at the regrowhair site says that the early 20's and 40's are the 2 most common times when mpb begins for most guys. Who knew there was a second wave of this mess*&&^

Everyone hates it - that is 100% normal. But like an older guy told me as time goes on it will not be as hard to deal with as compared to when you are younger. You are almost at the point where half the guys your age have it as well so it more socially acceptable.

Propecia should work well for you since you caught it early. Just be sure and get the heck off of it if you start having sides.

Good luck!

Good luck man, this genetic curse really sucks, hope fin works for you, keep us posted...

Thanks guys. I hope it works too. I'd be thrilled to keep what I have for a while longer..