+ Reply to Thread

Default Shedding continuously 5 months after Rogaine

Hey guys,

So this is my very first post ever. I'm 26 and I'm starting to have a gaping, fist sized bald spot on the back of my head. I'm not going to dwell too much on its effect on my personal life, because that's an entirely new topic on its own. Anyways, I started using Rogaine (the liquid version, and with no other meds) during the Summer of 08 (~June), and as expected I went through the usual shedding phase for 3 weeks or so. The problem was however, that it didn't really stop there. It continued for FIVE months, and at increasing rates. By October, I would lose hair on the pillow, and then more in the shower every day (roughly 150-170 hairs or so per day). But the weird thing was that my hair didn't noticeably thin too much (maybe it was but I couldn't see it because it was still pretty thick and I hadn't passed the 50% density mark).

So eventually I decided to stop at the beginning of November. Immediately, the shedding stopped (I was losing only 50 hairs a day) So I thought everything was fine, and that my hair would grow back to normal. But against my prediction my hair started to visibly thin more at the back and the front, even though I was losing under 50 hairs a day.

So to summarize things for me
    Rogaine = huge shedding even after 1st month, but no visible thinning.
    Stopped rogaine = No shedding but Visible thinning.

One possibility is that I'm only just noticing the damage that rogaine has done to my hair, because I have finally lost more that 50% hair density on my scalp. After this point, any decrease in density is meant to be proportionally much more visible.

So my question is:

1)what is going on?
    2)has anyone else experienced this?
    3)could it just be that even though I was losing 150 hairs a day with rogaine, I was growing back that hair with an incredibly fast hair cycle?
    4)should I start Rogaine again? Or will it make me lose the rest of my remaining hair.

Some info to note: I tried Propecia before but it messed with my sex drive, so I'm staying way clear of it in the future. I don't really have any options left when it comes to FDA approved medications now.

Default Try Propecia again

The same thing happened to me. I did not do well on Rogaine and hated applying it. It’s too bad that Propecia gave you sides, but did you try to cut the pill in half and then take a half every other day? When I started I had sides and then I called Spencer Kobren’s show and he suggested the I ask my doc about this. I started with .5mgs every other day and increased it to 1 pill every other day with no sides at all. My hair loss has definitely got better and I plan on starting to take 1 pill a day soon to see if I experience any sides.

What ever you decide do not waste your money on laser treatments like I did. It’s a big scam! Propecia is now working for me without the sides I originally experience so I’m happy for that.

This is the best hair loss site in the internet so you found the right place to ask your questions. You should ask one of the doctors directly to see what they say.

Good luck!

Default Thanks:)

Hey Laser head,

Thanks so much for the reply. It gave me a little hope because you're the first person I've found who's had exactly the same problems! I did actually try the laser comb - for me its helping it think, but only a tiny amount that only just makes it worth using. I'm still losing hair, so I'll definitely go ahead and try your regimen. Please let me know how its going, and if you get any adverse reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhead View Post
    The same thing happened to me. I did not do well on Rogaine and hated applying it. It’s too bad that Propecia gave you sides, but did you try to cut the pill in half and then take a half every other day? When I started I had sides and then I called Spencer Kobren’s show and he suggested the I ask my doc about this. I started with .5mgs every other day and increased it to 1 pill every other day with no sides at all. My hair loss has definitely got better and I plan on starting to take 1 pill a day soon to see if I experience any sides.

What ever you decide do not waste your money on laser treatments like I did. It’s a big scam! Propecia is now working for me without the sides I originally experience so I’m happy for that.

This is the best hair loss site in the internet so you found the right place to ask your questions. You should ask one of the doctors directly to see what they say.

Good luck!
    Hey Laserhead,

How long did you take .5 mgs every two days? Its only been a week or so since I started and I'm already experiencing some sides. This was my last hope. Should I stick through it and see if the sides disappear? Did you ever experience any sides at all on your new regimen? Any comments anyone else? Thanks...