+ Reply to Thread

Default My Thermascalp review

I recently bought this product for about $10 off Amazon. It is a spray containing capsaicin that is supposed to stop hair loss, fight scalp itch, and hydrate the scalp. The active ingredient, capsaicin, is the stuff that gives peppers their heat, and is supposed to be anti-inflammatory.

I don't expect this to regrow any hair, but I am hoping it will help me with my intractable scalp itching. Prescription strength Nizoral and topical corticosteroids haven't helped so I'm left experimenting at this point. So far, I've been using the spray for only two days, but haven't really noticed a decrease in itching. Kind of a let down since I was hoping it would provide immediate relief, but I plan to stick with this for several months or at least as long as the bottle lasts to see if regular daily use makes a difference. As far as application though, it was very easy to use. On my scalp it feels just like water and dries quickly, so I don't get the "wet look" that minoxidil gave me (and we all know how the wet look tends to showcase thinning hair!). I just have to be careful not to get it anywhere near my eyes or nostrils otherwise I will have pepper-sprayed myself!

Has anyone else tried this stuff, or any other capsaicin-based products for hair loss or scalp itch? From what I can tell, Thermascalp has been around for several years, but there are no independent reviews anywhere. That doesn't bode well...

Hey man, I'm intrigued when you say that you used topical corticosteroids to try to stimulate hair regrowth. I've always thought that doctors should use growth steroids to stimulate hair regrowth. What topical corticosteroids did you use?

Actually, I wasn't using the corticosteroids to treat my hair loss, the intent was to stop the itching. I used a prescription shampoo called Clobex for a time, then switched to a lotion called Locoid. Neither are intended for long-term use as they have serious side effects, including thinning of the skin, so I can't see them ever becoming treatments for hair loss. Neither of them seemed to help with the itching nor did I get any regrowth.

Also to be clear, I'm only using Thermascalp in hopes that will reduce my MPB-related scalp itch. I don't expect it to regrow any hair, even though that is one of the manufacturer's claims.