+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Can you detail how the patient prepares for the treatment and walk us through how you proceed in preparing the area to be treated?
    Also, what size of needle roller is used?

Quote Originally Posted by Costanza View Post
    Can you detail how the patient prepares for the treatment and walk us through how you proceed in preparing the area to be treated?
    Also, what size of needle roller is used?
    Certainly. First 60cc of blood is drawn and it takes about 15 mins to process the PRP. The area of treatment is then localized with Lidocaine. I have used various size rollers, but it is not necessary to use anything but a 1mm length roller because we do not want to traumatize the hair only lightly on the scalp. We are not trying to cause any bleeding. The PRP is then injected in the dermis about an inch apart in the treatment area and a light coating is applied on the scalp. (You will have platelet migration throughout the scalp).We like you keep the growth factors on the scalp overnight and then you can simply shampoo your hair the next day. It takes about 35-40 mins for the entire process and you may wear a hat immediately after, no bandages and no downtime.

Would it be best to cut the hair really short before treatment?

Do you treat the front of the scalp with PRP, as well, even though the best resuts are achieve on the crown?

Would it be best to cut the hair really short before treatment?
    Not really 1 inch is fine

Do you treat the front of the scalp with PRP, as well, even though the best resuts are achieve on the crown?
    Yes, we do if we are doing everything on top. Can't hurt as long as patients know where it has demonstrated better results.

How long after the procedure can the treated area be exposed to sun / UV light? I am usng UV light therapy for dermalogical conditions.

Question PRP Therapy for scarring

Dear Dr. Greco: I am wondering if this therapy would help those who have been scarred in past Hair transplant surgeries? Such as in the donor area(via strip method) or in scalp reduction scars. Congrats on you work on this. --David.

Last May I contracted a scalp fungal infection from a beauty salon that was misdiagnosed by my doctor as psoriasis. For 4 painful months I was using topical steroids in an alcohol base as treatment - which was doing nothing except perhaps making a stronger fungus, inflicting severe pain and making my condition worse.

I finally found a decent dermatologist who immediately recognized the real problem and arranged a correct treatment program. The pain, itching and flaking has now stopped, but it took a really long time to arrest the situation.

Hair regrowth has been SLOOOOW. Glacially so . . They say that now I am experiencing hair loss from stress and that my scalp suffered an injury and needs time to heal and balance out.

Under these circumstances - do you think this PRP treatment would be helpful to me? Is this effective for women and men? (I'm a woman) Thanks

Robyn,

While I wouldn't know anything about your particular situation, I would definitely contact Dr. Greco regarding this. He has done a lot of work in the PRP arena. I met with him last week and he performed the simple procedure on me. Also, I've read posts from Dr. Allen Feller and he appears to be very knowledgeable on the subject as well. I would contact him as well. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

How long after the procedure can the treated area be exposed to sun / UV light? I am usng UV light therapy for dermalogical conditions.
    Hello Costanza, I would say that within a few days you could use UV.... it should not have any negative effects immediately after. Actually, having the high concentrations of growth factors and protein in the scalp may be helpful for your condition.

Quote Originally Posted by geminidb8 View Post
    Dear Dr. Greco: I am wondering if this therapy would help those who have been scarred in past Hair transplant surgeries? Such as in the donor area(via strip method) or in scalp reduction scars. Congrats on you work on this. --David.
    While objective biopsy comparative studies of wounds treated with PRP have demonstrated faster healing, less scar collagen and higher tensile strength (Carter et al, 2003) for these reasons we utilize PRP in the donor area. Literally, thousands of Cardiac surgery wounds are closed yearly with PRP because of anti bacterial effects and the implications of mortality if an infection occurs.

Unfortunately, I do not feel that the use of PRP to reduce scaring years after a surgery in a donor area would be effective.