+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Hi Dr. Greco,
    One question/concern I have about the PRP procedure is the variability of platelet count in the healthy population. The normal range is 150k-450k/ml. Therefore, for any two people that opt for this treatment, it's possible that they are getting a 3x difference of platelets injected into their scalp. Since we don't know for the certain the mechanism of action of this procedure, it's also possible that there is a threshold of platelets, where any amount of platelets below would not yield any positive results. I think this platelet count variability may be a key contributor to the difference in efficacy that we are observing with this procedure.
    What are your thoughts about this?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckerine11 View Post
    Hi Dr. Greco,
    One question/concern I have about the PRP procedure is the variability of platelet count in the healthy population. The normal range is 150k-450k/ml. Therefore, for any two people that opt for this treatment, it's possible that they are getting a 3x difference of platelets injected into their scalp. Since we don't know for the certain the mechanism of action of this procedure, it's also possible that there is a threshold of platelets, where any amount of platelets below would not yield any positive results. I think this platelet count variability may be a key contributor to the difference in efficacy that we are observing with this procedure.
    What are your thoughts about this?
    Thanks.
    Wow what a great question. Yes, that is absolutely the variable with autologus ( same person) PRP and even in that one person platelet counts will vary from one week to the next.
    We have developed a homologus lyophilized (freeze dried) cytokine ( GF ) rich plasma where we can control the dose of GF's, which is the future of PRP. In other words, "GF's in a bottle", pure GF's in plasma and no cells so no antigenic reaction, that has a shelf life of 2 years. All you have to do is add sodium chloride and finito, use it, no blood draw and it is a consistent level every time!
    We are currently using this is vet medicine studies and not only does it work on soft tissue and wounds, but it is very effective regenerating bone for non-union fractures. Of course, this will need FDA approval as a drug and this is our intention. JG

Dr. Greco -- as a follow-up to the question regarding doctors in the Washington DC area that PRP. Since there is nobody in this area. Where are the closest doctors - North Carolina, Pennsylvania, MD, NY?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MG63 View Post
    Dr. Greco -- as a follow-up to the question regarding doctors in the Washington DC area that PRP. Since there is nobody in this area. Where are the closest doctors - North Carolina, Pennsylvania, MD, NY?

thanks.
    MG63 Dr Jeff Epstein has an office in NY you could check with his office. Best, JG

thanks so much.

Dr Greco

There has been lots of news recently about the effectiveness of PRP in a number of studies. What does this do for its use in hair loss. http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Hi Dr Greco ,

I would just like to know if PRP is usefull with diffuse hair loss ? can it help stopping it on the entire scalp ?

Do you know of anyone doing this therapy in europe ? maybe in England ? I live in Belgium

Thanks

Hello Dr Greco,

One thing thats bothered me about PRP and using the patients own blood , is the presence of any pre-exisiting disorders or illnesses ( esp related to connected tissue like Hypermobility ) that might influence the overall results.

Are you aware of any complications or , worse results happening from patients using PRP who fit into this category i.e. whether its been done on scalp or on other areas like knees ?

thanks

helena

Quote Originally Posted by twentiesbalding View Post
    Dr Greco

There has been lots of news recently about the effectiveness of PRP in a number of studies. What does this do for its use in hair loss. http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wn
    We are studying the effects on hair growth in hair surgery and hair miniaturization. Soon we will initiate a double blind randomized independent study for AGA. After being in hair surgery 27 years and doing over 400 procedures the past three years and completing two research grant studies with PRP, there is a positive difference and numerous other independent studies in hair surgery indicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by helenah View Post
    Hello Dr Greco,

One thing thats bothered me about PRP and using the patients own blood , is the presence of any pre-exisiting disorders or illnesses ( esp related to connected tissue like Hypermobility ) that might influence the overall results.

Are you aware of any complications or , worse results happening from patients using PRP who fit into this category i.e. whether its been done on scalp or on other areas like knees ?

thanks

helena
    There are very few complications with PRP since it is your own cells. However, the "absolute" contra indications, which are quite rare and should be verified with patients medical histories are platelet dysfunction syndrome, critical thrombocytopenia, hypofibrinogenemia, septicemia, sensitivity to bovine thrombin. There are "relative" contraindications such as steroid injections two weeks prior, fever, recent illness, HGB <10g/dl, platelet count <105/ul, active pseudomonas, enterococcus or Klebsiella infections. To put this in perspective, we have not had any patient with hair or ortho biologic treatment present with absolute contraindications or have any complication.