+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Possible Hair Loss ?

I'm reposting here because I feel it's more appropriate.

Well I am 18 years old and I think my scalp is being plagued with hair loss.
    I have noticed that i lose about 20 or so hairs when I shower and maybe another 20 through the day when I brush my hands through my hair (I have been doing this quite often because I'm nervous and paranoid about hair loss.)
    I noticed that the tips of my hairs that have fallen out start to whiten near the bottom and sometimes have a tiny white bud attached to it. (On 2 occasions those buds were GIANT and that scared the hell out of me)
    Of course this got me even more scared because I read on many forums here that this is common in mpb.
    My dad is 56 and has slight rescission at his hair line but nothing to serious, he still has his jet black hair for christ sakes.
    Anyways lately my scalp has been a little itchy as well as my eyebrows which are also shedding at an alarming rate.
    I have basically been losing hair everywhere except for my legs.

Lastly, I visited my family doctor today and he made an appointment with a dermatologist.
    He wasn't straight with me saying that I was balding for sure but that only made me more paranoid and scared, anyways guys sorry for the long ass post.

Pictures are attached below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00173.jpg

Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	14591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00175.jpg

Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	14592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00176.jpg

Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	14593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00177.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	14594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00178.jpg

Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	14595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00179.jpg

Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	14596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto-20120418-00180.jpg

Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	14597  

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

There is no evidence of hairloss in your pictures. It could look like you have started on your journey to get a mature hairline, with a little receded temples but it could be nothing.

Hairloss of 20-100 hairs a day is normal, do not worry. The itching of the scalp however could be the first signs, but please do not get paranoid. Talk to a hairloss expert and let him/her examine you.

If you dad still have his hair at 56 at least you have a fair chance of the same, though there are plenty of exemptions, but its better than if he was bald.

Good luck

Thank you for the quick reply !

Quote Originally Posted by mrblol View Post
    I have noticed that i lose about 20 or so hairs when I shower and maybe another 20 through the day when I brush my hands through my hair (I have been doing this quite often because I'm nervous and paranoid about hair loss.).
    It is completely normal for humans to shed up to 100 hairs per day without suffering any hair loss. Some days you may shed less. Some days you may shed more.

The photos you have provided show no evidence that you are going bald. All I see happening is that you have developed your adult mature male hairline, which is completely normal for adult caucasion males.

So it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted here and I've visited my dermatologist since. My derm told me that he saw slight receding at the temples but I shouldn't worry about it at all at my age. He put on some fancy glasses and did a couple pull tests and said that he was positive that I am currently not balding and that I'm going crazy.. However I still feel as if I am losing hair ? I have also stopped itching since I started using conditioners while showering.

So it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted here and I've visited my dermatologist since. My derm told me that he saw slight receding at the temples but I shouldn't worry about it at all at my age. He put on some fancy glasses and did a couple pull tests and said that he was positive that I am currently not balding and that I'm going crazy.. However I still feel as if I am losing hair ? I have also stopped itching since I started using conditioners while showering.
    Im one of the experts here and trust me on this you are not balding.

I also started like you, receding at the temples. But the difference is that I was losing 150 hairs in the shower and I was losing minituarized hair from other parts of my scalp, thinner hairs falling from my head.

You have balding at your temples because you are maturing. DHT also causes this but the rest of your hair is INMUNE to DHT right now and you MIGHT progress from here in most likely 30 or 20 years.

Just watch out for DHT.

No steroids. No weightlifting.

Let this be a warning and enjoy your youth.

Thank you for the reply, thats comforting coming from you. I have however noticed that I am losing about 50 hairs in the shower nowadays and maybe around 10 or so on either my cell phone or keyboard. The only thing that truly scares me is that if i rub my scalp vicariously I can make an endless amount of hair fallout :s

Thank you for the reply, thats comforting coming from you. I have however noticed that I am losing about 50 hairs in the shower nowadays and maybe around 10 or so on either my cell phone or keyboard. The only thing that truly scares me is that if i rub my scalp vicariously I can make an endless amount of hair fallout :s
    That's normal. My mother has the thickest mane ever seen on this earth and that's because my grandad has all of his hair at 80 years old, she got the hair genes. She also did that because I asked her and she dropped a lot of hair.

When I shake my head like you, I shed 80 hairs because you're also pulling telogen hairs. When you shower and rub too much you are all pulling telogen hairs.

The problem is when you lose hair that is extremely thin and long and lots of them.

Even if there was 1/1000 chance that you are starting to bald, there is nothing to worry about beucase you are just starting and there is a new treatment HSC coming to market in 4 years.

You'll be good, enjoy your youth for now. Maybe you'll start to bald later, nobody knows what's gonna happen.

Thank you so much, you've actually helped me so much. Good luck with your hair as well my friend!

Thank you so much, you've actually helped me so much. Good luck with your hair as well my friend!
    Watch out when the hair that falls is thinner than the rest of your hair, as long as it's not from the temples or neck of the head or side burns.

That's how you know 100% sure you are balding.
    Try to follow an asian diet, that may also prevent baldness from triggering in your body. Don't take no DHT pills or saw palmetto, etc. Only foods, etc.