Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jman91
    • Jan 2012

will replicels treatment even be affordable

Ok, lets say (fingers crossed) that all goes to plan and replicel hit the jackpot, produce the best possible results in all their trials and get a treatment FDA approved...is this even going to be affordable?

I mean i know that to some people hair transplants are not a financial option but I would say they aren't too bad as most people can put the money together if they really want to get one. Now bearing in mind this is a lot more complex then a transplant, medically speaking. My questio is that with stem cell treatments being relatively knew, what sort of price can/will they charge? the sceptic in me says that it might actually cost them a lot to perform a treatment, let alone make a good margin on it?

Please dont get me wrong, im trying to keep positive and hope that any next level treatment will be affordable but I am concerned that these companies getting the science right is only half the battle? does anyone know what sort of price to expect with this kind of treatment?
    • Jan 2012

idk.... there was some paper from Replicel that basically says that they'll be charging a 15K "licensing" fee per treatment to any clinic that wants to perform their procedure. If that's true, then the treatment could possibly cost > 20K.

Comment

• gmonasco
      Inactive
      • Apr 2010

Depends what you mean by "affordable." Everything's affordable if you have enough money.

NBT's December 2011 report projected an initial "Per-patient fee of $15,000 for the replication of each patient’s cells."

Comment

• ravegrover
        • Jan 2011

i just hope that they find cure.. i will worry abt cost later

Comment

• 8868alex
          • May 2010

All of this is probably conjecture at the moment, although I imagine that a
          cost of $15,000 sounds understandable as initial word indiates that it will be in line with the current price of a good transplant. However, there is also the matter of scale. For instance, It is quite possible that the treament cost for a Norwood 3/4 patient would be less than that for a patient who is higher up. Also, the price entry point for when the therapy enters the market will be at a premium for the first few years and should hopefully drop as more people access it.

Let's just hope that it works first. Start saving guys!

Comment

• Davey Jones
            • Apr 2012

For those who have had or looked into hair transplants, do clinics offer financing options? Are there outside institutions that offer loans for such procedures? Or is that too risky a bet? I mean, I'd hope there would be some way to get a loan for this type of thing, but there is nothing they can repo in that situation, so I could imagine reluctance.

And even if there was a way to repo my hair assuming Replicel works, they'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Anyway, if hair transplants have financing options like that, I bet Replicel will. That, or buy a bunch of stock and cross your fingers.

Comment

• BoSox
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ravegrover
              i just hope that they find cure.. i will worry abt cost later
              exactly, i will find a way to pay for it. It's either a new car, or new hair. The awnser is obvious.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                • Apr 2011

I've seen HT clinics offer financing. I don't know if you can get a lone outside though. Use a credit card if you have one. High interest maybe but if you make sure to pay it off quickly then it's not that bad.

Comment

• ccmethinning
                  • Jan 2012

I've seen many HT clinics offer financing. They are typically 0% for 12-24 months. 36,48, 60 month terms usually have high interest at like 10-14% (robbery, as if it weren't enough to charge 30k for a 1 day operation).

Although it's probably not an option for many of the younger users, you could borrow from your 401k or take out a home equity loan.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                    • Apr 2011

To be honest, I believe parents should foot the bill if their sons want to get an HT. After all, it's the parents who inflicted this suffering on their sons and morally speaking, agree with me or not, they should be responsible for it no matter what.

Comment

• Delphi
                      • Mar 2009

It’s all about supply and demand. No company wants to price themselves out of the box, but when it comes to a cure for hair loss I doubt that Replicel is too concerned about that. It will probably be the cost of a good hair transplant or a decent used car, between 10-20k. I am sure everyone who really wants it will find a way to finance it, even if they have to sell their cars,ride the bus and live in a studio apartment for a couple of years and work three jobs to save the money.

Comment

• Maradona
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jman91
                        Ok, lets say (fingers crossed) that all goes to plan and replicel hit the jackpot, produce the best possible results in all their trials and get a treatment FDA approved...is this even going to be affordable?

I mean i know that to some people hair transplants are not a financial option but I would say they aren't too bad as most people can put the money together if they really want to get one. Now bearing in mind this is a lot more complex then a transplant, medically speaking. My questio is that with stem cell treatments being relatively knew, what sort of price can/will they charge? the sceptic in me says that it might actually cost them a lot to perform a treatment, let alone make a good margin on it?

Please dont get me wrong, im trying to keep positive and hope that any next level treatment will be affordable but I am concerned that these companies getting the science right is only half the battle? does anyone know what sort of price to expect with this kind of treatment?
                        Don't worry about price, I will pay your treatment if it ever works. Which from the looks of it, it doesn't seem it will :'(.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Maradona
                          Don't worry about price, I will pay your treatment if it ever works. Which from the looks of it, it doesn't seem it will :'(.

Yeah. I think most people are ahead of themselves. A lot of people are talking as if something is really on the horizon, which I don't think is the case. I'm not worried about the price. I don't care if I live on the street in a cardboard box and pay every penny I make to pay for the treatment -IF IT EVER COMES OUT. I, like many other realistic people just don't see a treatment coming out any time soon. I'm preparing myself for the disappointment from Replicel. Will probably be the usual "in the next 5-10 years".

Comment

• sausage
                            • Jan 2012

We can only guess about price.

It may not even work.

If it does work....how well it works will impact on price.

I'd prefer it if it was less than £5000 and £10000 max! This is more realistic in terms of the general population being able to afford it.

Whatever happens as long as its not over £25000 then I can afford it

So get saving, you still have at least 2 years worth of saving (if it works).

Chances are it won't work....10 days to go....

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sausage
                              We can only guess about price.

It may not even work.

If it does work....how well it works will impact on price.

I'd prefer it if it was less than £5000 and £10000 max! This is more realistic in terms of the general population being able to afford it.

Whatever happens as long as its not over £25000 then I can afford it

So get saving, you still have at least 2 years worth of saving (if it works).

Chances are it won't work....10 days to go....
                              Is there a specific day we should expect the "big news" or it's just the end of April.

Comment

Working...