+ Reply to Thread

Default Supplementing DHT?

Anyone tried supplementing DHT to boost sex drive, post-Propecia? Views on this?

I'm gonna guess the risk is losing hair?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Anyone tried supplementing DHT to boost sex drive, post-Propecia? Views on this?

I'm gonna guess the risk is losing hair?
    are you still having side effects from propecia???

The only way (I can think of) to do this would be with oxandrolone (Anavar), which is a derivative of DHT. But I've never heard of anyone taking it increasing their sex drive (besides women).

Have you had a hormone test? Finasteride inhibiting convertion of testosterone into DHT has me wondering if that just leaves all that extra testosterone to aromatise into estrogen. While DHT levels don't cause any negative feedback loops in your HPTA, estrogen does. If that's the case, you'd benefit more from an AI (aromatase inhibitor, something that binds to the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen, ex. arimidex) than from supplemental DHT.

Though you probably should know that estrogen levels are elevated before you were to do that. And though it would help with your side effects if that's the case, I'm not sure it would explain why those levels are still elevated. If you do get a hormone test, you should post it to a steroid/hormone replacement forum, explain your situation, and see what they think.

And all that is just if side effects keep persisting. There is a certain benefit to waiting it out and seeing if your body can handle it. Though I have heard of symptoms related to tampering with your hormones that do not resolve naturally and need addressed. If this is one of those, I wouldn't know. It'd all be up to you.

Like always, none of this is doctor's advise. Grain of salt, and all that.

Oh, as a side note, supplementing with synthetic derivatives of DHT doesn't really mess with your hair. That's a little weird food for thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    are you still having side effects from propecia???
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    The only way (I can think of) to do this would be with oxandrolone (Anavar), which is a derivative of DHT. But I've never heard of anyone taking it increasing their sex drive (besides women).

Have you had a hormone test? Finasteride inhibiting convertion of testosterone into DHT has me wondering if that just leaves all that extra testosterone to aromatise into estrogen. While DHT levels don't cause any negative feedback loops in your HPTA, estrogen does. If that's the case, you'd benefit more from an AI (aromatase inhibitor, something that binds to the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen, ex. arimidex) than from supplemental DHT.

Though you probably should know that estrogen levels are elevated before you were to do that. And though it would help with your side effects if that's the case, I'm not sure it would explain why those levels are still elevated. If you do get a hormone test, you should post it to a steroid/hormone replacement forum, explain your situation, and see what they think.

And all that is just if side effects keep persisting. There is a certain benefit to waiting it out and seeing if your body can handle it. Though I have heard of symptoms related to tampering with your hormones that do not resolve naturally and need addressed. If this is one of those, I wouldn't know. It'd all be up to you.

Like always, none of this is doctor's advise. Grain of salt, and all that.
    Thanks Davey! I haven't had a hormone test yet but I'm considering it. I want to give it some time to resolve, but feel it's been long enough (3 months)? My posts probably illustrate how my patience is becoming increasingly worn, both for dealing with side effects and with people who defend Propecia.

I'd like to keep in touch with you because you seem pretty knowledgeable, and while I appreciate the disclaimer, you probably know more on this topic than a doctor I'd be seeing.