Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    This bullshit again? Seriously, once I've finished working out for an hour and getting a tan for an hour, what time will I have left for me? It seems like an awful waste of life to give up all my free time to look like a meat head.

My recommendation would be give up on the aesthetics. Certainly, if you're into ****ing about at the gym then by all means carry on, but if you're not then just cut your hair short and carry on doing what YOU want to do.

The worst thing about hair loss is the loss of control and identity and it certainly doesn't help matters much when a prescriptive formula is handed down that gives the victims of hair loss no choice as to how to deal with it. It doesn't matter if you advocate shaving heads (I've never seen a man with a shaved head who I would like to look like. Ever); taking drugs or topicals (expensive and insufficiently effective) or the full meat head emulation. It's important to present choices and not to harp on about any approach being a solution.

I'm certainly well aware of my options, I've been noticeably losing hair for ten years after all. First of all, 'There's Nothing Healthy About a Tan' springs to mind. So that's out. Second of all, the gym is expensive and the opportunity cost of an hour at the gym is an hour of study or leisure time. So that's out too. As for the shaved head, I already resent having to shave my face every day so increasing the surface area, what, four fold? Forget it. And what about drugs? Why would I want to pay all that money for drugs of limited effectiveness when more viable solutions are around the corner?

I'll stick to my own choices (which don't include a combover, but that's fine too, it's an individual choice to make). That means cut short once a month, no gym and certainly no ****ing tan, real or orange!
    Fixed, I've looked back on what you've been posting here for a while, and I think often that you're quite insightful. Here, for instance, you're damn right about the loss of the sense of identity and control that MPB can lead to, particularly in men younger than myself (and yourself, I'm presuming) who don't quite even know who they are as adults.

Moreover, I'm certainly with you in thinking that MPB should not coerce a young man to adopt the shaven/buzzed musclehead look, and I've advised elsewhere that we really ought to stop giving this as the default balding advice.

All that said, however, I have the suspicion about you that if it weren't balding setting you off, it would be something else--and we've all a thousand little things to be insecure about, but often one big one we hitch the rest to. Moreover, I doubt you're alone in this; I'd bet most younger, balding men are hitching all of their problems onto balding because it's just more visible than others. Do we all think that we'll get through life completely free of troubles, minor or major, always looking like we did when we were 20?

Some sage advice was given me long ago, that I think I have to repeat here: own your life; it's a gift. Challenges are given us that we may rise to them; setbacks are lessons that we needed to learn. And something so minor as baldness? Most men have to deal with it at some point in their lives. And it doesn't look as bad as you might think.

So if you think being a shaven gym rat is lying about who you are, then by all means don't do so. I know I never would. But who are you? Who are any of us? We're all a lot more than merely "a balding guy." When you figure that out, I honestly think you'll care a lot less about something so superficial.