Shave Your Head, Get a Tan, and Get Your A** to the Gym

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

I'm not lazy, I am almost in my last year at university. I know what it's like to have to work hard to obtain something, but I'm talking about something worth working for, a master's degree. The last thing I want to become is a stereotype: the stereotypical bald guy who compensates for his baldness by becoming a gym rat.

And I don't think that anyone, anyone who has had a 180° transformation by working has done it healthily. And yes I know bodybuilders who were "scrawny" as you say, before they started working out. They swallowed tons of steroids, SERM, protein boxes to get where they are. Few people are willing to admit that this the reality. You will not go from skinny to huge without compromising your health.

I'm a severely diffused NW5 at the age of 23 and I think I look good with a buzzed head, even if I'm not muscular and my skin tone's is like Snow White's. It has nothing to do with being lazy, it's about being smart and doing something productive of your time.

Comment

• Kayman
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by fred970
      I'm not lazy, I am almost in my last year at university. I know what it's like to have to work hard to obtain something, but I'm talking about something worth working for, a master's degree. The last thing I want to become is a stereotype: the stereotypical bald guy who compensates for his baldness by becoming a gym rat.
      As I said that's fine, if you're happy as you are then that's great. Nobody is accusing you of being lazy.

And I don't think that anyone, anyone who has had a 180° transformation by working has done it healthily. And yes I know bodybuilders who were "scrawny" as you say, before they started working out. They swallowed tons of steroids, SERM, protein boxes to get where they are. Few people are willing to admit that this the reality. You will not go from skinny to huge without compromising your health.
      This I'm sorry to say isn't true. The correct diet with the appropriate exercises and hard work will always produce results. It is not the reality, I do not use steroids and the friends I go to the gym with do not use steroids and we are all experienced lifters. I put on 17lbs of muscle to date and not a single steroid was used nor shall it be. I'm not sure what it is about a healthy diet and regular exercise you find to be unhealthy. It's easy to say the guys who have worked hard to achieve what they have use steroids, in reality the majority just work hard. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for roids.

I'm a severely diffused NW5 at the age of 23 and I think I look good with a buzzed head, even if I'm not muscular and my skin tone's is like Snow White's. It has nothing to do with being lazy, it's about being smart and doing something productive of your time.
      I find the gym to be very productive, more so than watching tv or playing video games, in fact I'd say maintaining good health through exercise be it weight lifting, football, tennis or any physical activity is one of the most smart and productive things you could possibly be doing. What is more important than your health?

Comment

• clandestine
        • Aug 2011

Fred bro you just got schooled.

Comment

• fred970
          • Nov 2009

Still not conviced, I believe you had just the right body to begin with, and that you must be in your 30's too. I went to a GP specialiced in nutrition because I was losing weight so easily and was not far from anorexia. He said I had one of the highest metabolism he had ever seen. I'm fine today as I found a way to keep myself above 73 kg (for 1m 90) without exhausting myself. Some people can't get muscules, no matter how hard they try. A trainer at the gym (Yes, tried, retried, and reretried before) finally told me the truth when I was 19, without drugs, I would see no visible gain.

Well I'll tell you, In find it way, way more fun, productive to play good video games and to watch good tv shows than to going the gym, but that's my opinion. Playing soccer with friend is another story, it's fun, I love it, weight lifting is boring. And as my last bood test, my state of mind (I suffered from clinical depression before) and my general appearance reveal, I'm very healthy but thank you for the advice .

Schooled? He did not present any evidence but an anecdote about himself. Very common thing on hair loss forums.

Comment

• Kayman
            • Dec 2012

Still not conviced, I believe you had just the right body to begin with, and that you must be in your 30's too.
            I was 143lb's to begin with, I built myself up to 160bs, my goal is to reach 170 to 175. I was by no means a mesomorph. Yes I am in my early 30's however I see that as no benefit over someone in their late teens or early twenties other than my metabolism has slowed very slightly and I store fat a little easier.

I went to a GP specialiced in nutrition because I was losing weight so easily and was not far from anorexia. He said I had one of the highest metabolism he had ever seen. I'm fine today as I found a way to keep myself above 73 kg (for 1m 90) without exhausting myself. Some people can't get muscules, no matter how hard they try. A trainer at the gym (Yes, tried, retried, and reretried before) finally told me the truth when I was 19, without drugs, I would see no visible gain.
            That's a shame, at least you had a go.

Well I'll tell you, In find it way, way more fun, productive to play good video games and to watch good tv shows than to going the gym, but that's my opinion.
            If you find lifting weights boring then fair enough, but playing video games and watching television is far less productive than the gym, I like playing my xbox as much as the next person but to say its more productive than physical exercise is wrong.

I'm very healthy but thank you for the advice .
            No problem, glad you're in good health.

Schooled? He did not present any evidence but an anecdote about himself. Very common thing on hair loss forums.
            I was drawing on my own experiences from the gym to disprove your sweeping generalization that all lifters do steroids and that going from scrawny to brawny was unhealthy.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
              • Oct 2011

Hyperthyrodism can be controlled with meds, if you actually have that...which by the way is actually diagnosable and can be the direct reason for hair loss.

Starting a weight lifting and gaining program AFTER 30 is actually way tougher then when you're younger for two key reasons: 1) Testosterone and HGH levels are on the downward slope and 2) You are more likely to start down the 'contented' road of life.

Comment

• Californication
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by mpalardy
                Finasteride, transplant, whatever... My point is not to defame any specific treatment. Consider, though, that the hair you save or regrow will turn grey eventually. There's no getting around aging.

And I'm often inclined to think that those who are harping on treating their balding now will just have problems with other age-related appearance issues further on down the line, not seeing how they can be used to their personal or professional benefit. Indeed, I've known women, many of them quite the lookers, who've been less vain.

In short, grow up and man up, fellas. Either focus on bearing your age well (as men have done for aeons) or learn to sing castrato; it's all equal to me. But if you can't come to a sort of peace with something so paltry as balding, I doubt you'll ever be able to come to peace with much.
                Lol at bearing your age well...for those of us in college, being bald isn't bearing your age well. Honestly, people who bald late 20s/early 30s have a very different experience when it comes to hair loss imo. I'm not saying it isn't still painful, but losing hair at 17, 18, 19, is way harder than losing some at 25, 26, 27.

Comment

• Zuck
                  • Aug 2011

Shave your head, get a tan and get your ass to the gym. Also join a martial arts gym.
                  Last edited by Winston; 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content removed. Please refer to our forum posting policies

Comment

• fred970
                    • Nov 2009

Look like a chemo patient, triple your risk of skin cancer and take steroids. Learn martial arts to kick the asses of people that make fun of you for following the three previous advices.

Comment

• clandestine
                      • Aug 2011

Gym, tan, eat, sleep, buzz, repeat.

Comment

• Proper
                        • Mar 2013

GYM BRAH! I went from a skinny 130lbs stick to 170lbs piece of flesh. It does feel good to look stronger, more muscles, look better in clothes, look healthy, and not be a frail hobbit. Took me a long time though because of being on and off and losing weight but now that I am taking the gym more seriously, stuff is good. Also feels good to throw the girl your ****ing all around the place rather than making her move herself. ahaha... HA!

Comment

• Davey Jones
                          • Apr 2012

Look like a chemo patient, triple your risk of skin cancer and take steroids. Learn martial arts to kick the asses of people that make fun of you for following the three previous advices.
                          Lack of sun exposure leads to increased risk of cancer. So if you avoid the tan, you'll end up looking like a chemo patient anyway. Might as well enjoy the outside, no?

Citations:

Garland C, Shekelle RB, Barrett-Connor E, Criqui MH, Rossof AH, Paul O. Dietary vitamin D and calcium and risk of colorectal cancer: a 19-year prospective study in men. Lancet. 1985;1:307-9.

Grant WB. An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the United States due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation, Cancer, 2002b;94:1867-75.

Robsahm TE, Tretli S, Dahlback A, Moan J. Vitamin D(3) from sunlight may improve the prognosis of breast-, colon- and prostate cancer (Norway). Cancer Causes Control. 2004;15:149-58.

van den Bemd GJ, Chang GT. Vitamin D and vitamin D analogs in cancer treatment. Curr Drug Targets. 2002;3:85-94.

And seriously like a billion others. Not to mention emerging research that suggests sun exposure decreases the risk of heart disease. Etc. etc. etc. you don't care anyway, do you?

Comment

• sausage
                            • Jan 2012

How can you get a tan when you are bald. If I went out in the sun I'd come back looking like a purple penis helmet.

And going to a tanning salon is not a good answer either unless u want to look like an oompa loompa.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                              • Oct 2011

Its called wearing sunscreen...

Comment

• amibald
                                • Sep 2012

why not just go fake tan? Jergen's natural glow works for some other bald guys I know and looks real as anything

Comment

Working...