Dermmatch tips please...I looked like I tipped a dust bag on my head :o( - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Dermmatch tips please...I looked like I tipped a dust bag on my head :o(

This is my first post here.

I have spent days and days researching tips to help me but in the end all of the information was starting to blow my mind so I hope that you don't mind me asking here:

I bought some dermmatch recently and was very excited as although my hair looks quite thick you can see through the hair and can see the shape of my scalp, especially in sunlight.

The results from using Dermmatch were very disappointing.

My hair looked VERY chalky and it looked like I had tipped the contents of a dustbag over my head.

I tried again with a less amount but it still looked dreadful and was very noticeable.

However, lots of other people swear by it. What am I doing wrong?

Is it really that good?

I bought it from a seller off ebay so will not be able to get my money back and it was quite expensive (£30).

I really would value some of your tips please as I would LOVE for this to work.

Thank you very much

G

PS. I also bought some toppik but haven't used it yet.

Default its the hairspray

Toppik was for me the best thing ever. You need to use a hairspray that provides luster or sheen or shine or whatever the word is. I wore the stuff for years and it really was a miracle...for me anyway. The hairspray is definitely the key to taking away the "chalky" look. Actually, now that I think back spray gel worked quite well also. It just makes it look like you have a bunch of gel in your hair which has the added "benefit" of people not touching your head bc they figure you have gel in your hair and you don't want people messing with it. It was a miracle for me for about 8 years. Finally I became too thin on top to use it anymore.

Good luck to you. It will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
    This is my first post here.

I have spent days and days researching tips to help me but in the end all of the information was starting to blow my mind so I hope that you don't mind me asking here:

I bought some dermmatch recently and was very excited as although my hair looks quite thick you can see through the hair and can see the shape of my scalp, especially in sunlight.

The results from using Dermmatch were very disappointing.

My hair looked VERY chalky and it looked like I had tipped the contents of a dustbag over my head.

I tried again with a less amount but it still looked dreadful and was very noticeable.

However, lots of other people swear by it. What am I doing wrong?

Is it really that good?

I bought it from a seller off ebay so will not be able to get my money back and it was quite expensive (£30).

I really would value some of your tips please as I would LOVE for this to work.

Thank you very much

G

PS. I also bought some toppik but haven't used it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack21 View Post
    Toppik was for me the best thing ever. You need to use a hairspray that provides luster or sheen or shine or whatever the word is. I wore the stuff for years and it really was a miracle...for me anyway. The hairspray is definitely the key to taking away the "chalky" look. Actually, now that I think back spray gel worked quite well also. It just makes it look like you have a bunch of gel in your hair which has the added "benefit" of people not touching your head bc they figure you have gel in your hair and you don't want people messing with it. It was a miracle for me for about 8 years. Finally I became too thin on top to use it anymore.

Good luck to you. It will work out.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

When you were talking about the spray gel is that for Toppik or for Dermmatch?

I haven't had the chance to try my Toppik yet as I did not realise I needed a hairspray to keep it in place.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
    I do not have these problems with Dermmatch and I cannot imagine what you could be doing wrong. So I want to make sure what you have is actually Dermmatch. Can you post a pic of what you have?

first, for either product (dermmatch, toppik) to work - u need significant amount of hair on the application area. otherwise, it looks nothing but poor makeup - paint or powder. take my advise - stay away from concealers.
    u will only compound ur illusions & it will make it harder to accept ur hairloss. all the time that u spend putting the thing on in the morning and then wondering all day whether people know - its just not worth it.

That is not exactly true. You do not need a "significant" amount of hair - but you do need to have enough hair for conealers to be a realistic option. Concealers do not work on slick bald areas.

HI Tracy
    I don't have a picture of it but it was bought by a trusted ebay seller and it all seems in order.

Regarding coverage, I look like I have a full head of hair but it is thinkly spaced out so when the light shines on my head you can see the shape of my skull,

I have a small exposed bald patch on my crown (about the size of a coin) which I know I can't cover.

Thanks for your help.

G

Hi Elmer,

Maybe it's just a matter of practice then. You do get better at it the more you use it. I am going to tell you how I put it in and maybe that can translate to apply to you.

Once my hair is dry, I start by using a spray bottle to get the applicator damp with water (I do use filtered water with a little Aloe Vera gel mixed in). I start at the back of my head, facing away from the mirror, and work my way forward to get my trouble spots. I do not work front to back, I work back to front and follow the flow of my hair. I part my hair in those trouble spots to apply the makeup. My hair line is not a problem so I don't use any in my hair line. The last of my trouble spots is a little bit behind my hair line on the left side. Once I have my trouble spots covered, I finish styling my hair. You do not need to use hair spray with Dermmatch.

My hair is shoulder length so that might make a difference. However, Spencer uses Dermmatch and his hair looks great every time you see him.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Tracy

What ravegrover says is, unfortunately, very true. It does make it harder to accept hair loss because you become so used to the illusion that when you thin too badly to use it anymore it becomes that much more difficult. You don't go from balding to bald. You go from "thick head of hair" to bald. That said, I am thankful for the years that I was able to use the stuff.

Concealers are good for people with diffuse thinning. If you're young and starting to bald you must realize that there will come a day when you won't be abel to use the stuff anymore.

I don't represent any company, but in my experience dermatch was terrible. By itself it does not come close to creating the illusion of thickness that toppik does.

Quote Originally Posted by ravegrover View Post
    first, for either product (dermmatch, toppik) to work - u need significant amount of hair on the application area. otherwise, it looks nothing but poor makeup - paint or powder. take my advise - stay away from concealers.
    u will only compound ur illusions & it will make it harder to accept ur hairloss. all the time that u spend putting the thing on in the morning and then wondering all day whether people know - its just not worth it.

Default videos

There are videos on youtube showing how to apply toppik. Have a look.