+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curis

Default Curis

In 2005, Curis developed a really promising potential treatment/cure for hair loss by activating the hedgehog pathway in humans to regenerate hair. According to their studies, their scientists stated that people with full heads of hair at least partially achieved this due to a properly-functioning hedgehog pathway. Yet Curis needed to partner up with a big pharmaceutical company because they didn't have the money to fund the extensive clinical trial necessary. And then the big pharmaceutical company pulled out when it deemed the potential treatment to be "unsafe". This really irritates me because this treatment really had the potential to give us what we want, a full head of hair again. I actually called up Curis last year inquiring about this, and they were very nice. They basically explained to me that they were really looking to bring this treatment to market but when they needed a partner (big pharma) to partner up with because they were a tiny company and could not fund the trials by themselves. So big pharma pulled out, they had no choice but to put this treatment on the back burner. Hell, I even tracked down the lead scientist who developed this treatment (he was working somewhere else) and he too was a very nice guy. It really pisses me off because this treatment apparently had such great promise, yet it never came to fruition because it never got the funding that it deserved. And lastly, notice how the President Passeri said he was "embarrassed" to put funding into a drug for baldness, yet he himself has an unbelievably full head of hair. Hell, if he was balding, he'd be just as angry and upset as the rest of us. Anyway, here is the article: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3094_mz018.htm

I can't find anything about baldness....

http://www.curis.com/pipeline.php

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...03&newsLang=en

Procter & Gamble has notified Curis that it has decided to terminate the collaboration agreement with Curis because the Hedgehog agonist compounds under development pursuant to the collaboration did not demonstrate an acceptable safety profile.

I know all about it man, and it's really frustrating because this treatment really could have had excellent results. Not meeting some kind of safety profile is a common excuse for companies pulling the plug on these promising treatments/cures. This is a really promising technology and really should be pursued by somebody.