+ Reply to Thread

Default Young NW6 Transplant ?

Hey guys. As I explained in a previous post, after 4 years trying Propecia (Dut for a little while) and Minoxidil I am now NW6. Aged 24, my hair loss shows no signs of stopping with these drugs. I was also refused transplantation (by a fairly reputable surgeon) since my average donor density is 80 -120 and my hair thickness is average. However somehow I just can’t shave my hair... mainly since being white my head looks like a boiled egg.

I wanted to ask your opinions about someone this age getting a transplant for such high a norwood grade. Would you recommend to consult someone in particular ? I know that it is impossible to get my original hairline, but I would be content with a nw3 hairline. I prefer FUE(even tough yield may be less), since I wouldn’t want to live the rest of my life trying to hide an FUT scar. Thanks

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Hi there,
    You are in a very difficult situation if you are a full NW6 now at 24 and you know that FIN is not going to help you growing some of it back or prevent you from becoming a NW7, how is your family history looking?

I am not a doctor - but as I see it you have 3 options, that you can consider depending on your cash available, your hairstyle preference, your risk attitude etc

1) Go to a top FUT doctor - best name that comes to mind is Hasson and Wong and go for 1 large 7-9000 HT FUT and try to make a decent coverage all over with a high mature hairline, keeping your hair relatively short on top and around grade 3 on the sides.

2) Go for 2 times FUE sessions over 2 years of 2500-3000 FUE each in total some 6000 FUE to get to a NW 2-3 hairline and you can shave down to a grade 2 all over. Doctors Feriduni, Rahal or Bisanga comes to mind.

3) Shave down to a grade 1 or 2 all over and go on with life.

I have personally gone the 2) route, but I am only a NW2.5 and I am 37 yrs old - if you want my honest opinion - if I was a NW6 at your age - I would shave down to a 1-2 grade, spend my time on working out, getting a tan and work on my self confidence (not saying you are not already but anyone can get better), go talk to any girl you meet/apply for any job you would like - and then get off this website - live life and not look back.... come back in 5 years and thank us :-)

Cheers and good luck - ENJOY LIFE, it is later than you think...

Quote Originally Posted by baldee View Post
    Hey guys. As I explained in a previous post, after 4 years trying Propecia (Dut for a little while) and Minoxidil I am now NW6. Aged 24, my hair loss shows no signs of stopping with these drugs. I was also refused transplantation (by a fairly reputable surgeon) since my average donor density is 80 -120 and my hair thickness is average. However somehow I just can’t shave my hair... mainly since being white my head looks like a boiled egg.

I wanted to ask your opinions about someone this age getting a transplant for such high a norwood grade. Would you recommend to consult someone in particular ? I know that it is impossible to get my original hairline, but I would be content with a nw3 hairline. I prefer FUE(even tough yield may be less), since I wouldn’t want to live the rest of my life trying to hide an FUT scar. Thanks
    Only guy who would take you is probably Gho but you gotta make sure you that's where your balding stops.

The trouble is I have now thinned out beyond the phase where a grade 2 gives the illusion of having hair on top. I’ve considered Hasson and Wong; there results are amazing but I’m afraid of the scar. I’d rather have 2 FUE sessions but I would prefer to grow out my hair slightly longer, maybe an inch or two.

As regards to Dr Gho, I wouldn’t want to go into the merits of his procedure. He seems to only graft around 1000/1500 hairs per procedure. While I am willing to travel and pay the extra money to get a proper Job, having to go the Netherlands 5 or 6 times and taking 2 weeks off work each time would be rather impractical.

baldee,

Are there Norwood class 7s in your family history? If you are a class 6 at age 24, chances are that is the case. Also, if any of the men in your family history who are past 50 years old begin to thin in their donor areas, pay very close attention to that. A fair number of men who reach the advanced classes of hairloss also thin in the donor zones as they age. You will not see it on yourself at your young age.

Even if you have FUE, because of your average grade caliber, and lower density, you would need 6,000 - 8,000 plus grafts to really make the impact you are looking for. But if your donor zone begins to thin, you may have the "dots" appearance. Although not a strip scar, it still can be noticable in your case.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but honestly, you would be wise to wait because of your lower donor density ranges.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

As Still-Researching you do have a couple of options. You could try and get up to 5-6000 FUE over 2 or 3 sessions and ignore the crown completely. Or you could go the route of as much hair as possible and go to H&W a couple of times strip out and then get as much FUE as you can. Extremely expensive of course. Alternatively you may be best to just bic it and apply yourself to something that really inspires you.

Here's what is arguably a nw7, definitely a 6.5 anyway.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8189

Of course the thing to remember is that if you do HT and run out of donor you're in trouble if the sides (lateral humps) drop and break away from the hair up top.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

There is a fairly limited procedure that can be done for young men in your situation- and that is FUE grafting of a relatively conservative frontal forelock, that even with further hair loss will look good, and of course leaves you with the option of one day cutting your hair quite short. To best evaluate your situation, I'd really need to see some photos.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration