For anybody who has quit taking propecia for several years, did side effects go away? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default For anybody who has quit taking propecia for several years, did side effects go away?

    For anybody who has taken propecia for at least 5 years and noticed some side effects and then who have since quit for taking it for at least 2 to 3 years (yeah, probably very few people who meet this criteria), did the side effects go away?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    50

    Default

    kramer -

    I took for 13 (almost 14) years. I had NO side-effects whatsoever the ENTIRE time I took the drug. Sex on an almost daily basis with not so much as a hiccup.

    I quit 23 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were perfect - morning erections returned (I didn't consider not having them anything bad) and I was doing just fine. About 5 to 6 weeks though, I began having problems and they have worsened. I am extremely desperate at this point to decide whether to go BACK on the medicine to save my sexual health!!!! I could care less about my hair anymore (believe me - you will give two sh*ts about your hair if your most prized possession stops calling for duty!!).

    By the way - I asked the exact same question you are asking now when I quit. I got a couple of responses - there was one person who had taken for over a decade and returned to normal so it is possible that things will be OK. But just speaking from MY experience, I don't think I would stop cold-turkey (if at all) if I was in your position until we find out more what happens to the body when DHT is reintroduced in the body so suddenly after being suppressed for many years.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Man in 13 years its just getting older that your sexual stuff stops being the same.

    It strange that propecia helped your sex?

    Confusing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    kramer -

    I took for 13 (almost 14) years. I had NO side-effects whatsoever the ENTIRE time I took the drug. Sex on an almost daily basis with not so much as a hiccup.

    I quit 23 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were perfect - morning erections returned (I didn't consider not having them anything bad) and I was doing just fine. About 5 to 6 weeks though, I began having problems and they have worsened. I am extremely desperate at this point to decide whether to go BACK on the medicine to save my sexual health!!!! I could care less about my hair anymore (believe me - you will give two sh*ts about your hair if your most prized possession stops calling for duty!!).

    By the way - I asked the exact same question you are asking now when I quit. I got a couple of responses - there was one person who had taken for over a decade and returned to normal so it is possible that things will be OK. But just speaking from MY experience, I don't think I would stop cold-turkey (if at all) if I was in your position until we find out more what happens to the body when DHT is reintroduced in the body so suddenly after being suppressed for many years.
    This is unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    kramer -

    I took for 13 (almost 14) years. I had NO side-effects whatsoever the ENTIRE time I took the drug. Sex on an almost daily basis with not so much as a hiccup.

    I quit 23 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were perfect - morning erections returned (I didn't consider not having them anything bad) and I was doing just fine. About 5 to 6 weeks though, I began having problems and they have worsened. I am extremely desperate at this point to decide whether to go BACK on the medicine to save my sexual health!!!! I could care less about my hair anymore (believe me - you will give two sh*ts about your hair if your most prized possession stops calling for duty!!).

    By the way - I asked the exact same question you are asking now when I quit. I got a couple of responses - there was one person who had taken for over a decade and returned to normal so it is possible that things will be OK. But just speaking from MY experience, I don't think I would stop cold-turkey (if at all) if I was in your position until we find out more what happens to the body when DHT is reintroduced in the body so suddenly after being suppressed for many years.
    Thanks for the info.

  6. #6
    Member fab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    Man in 13 years its just getting older that your sexual stuff stops being the same.
    True. I have taken Fin for 10 years and started having sex drive issues and ED.

    Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    It strange that propecia helped your sex?

    Confusing.
    This is not surprising because by blocking DHT, the body would have more free T. I heard many ppl saying that their sex drive was higher after taking Fin. I also had this effect.

    In conclusion, Fin changes our hormones balance.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    True. I have taken Fin for 10 years and started having sex drive issues and ED.



    This is not surprising because by blocking DHT, the body would have more free T. I heard many ppl saying that their sex drive was higher after taking Fin. I also had this effect.

    In conclusion, Fin changes our hormones balance.
    Are you off it now? Or still taking?

  8. #8
    Member fab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I'm, tapering it off.. taking half a day (0.5mg), after while will take every other day, and stop taking it after 3 months.

    To make sure Fin was the cause, this is what i did: I have slowly developed the sexual side effects for several months and didn't know what was it, then 1 day i decided to quit Fin cold turkey, the side effects diminished, then I came back on Fin and after a couple of weeks, it came back again. So i figure Fin has deftly something to do with it. Now instead of quitting cold turkey, I'm tapering it off.

    What makes me really annoyed is that I took for 10 years and no problem, so go figure.

    I'm hopeful that after i quit, i will not have ED anymore. But some ppl have had problems worsened after quitting, the "post-Fin syndrome", so will see.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    I'm, tapering it off.. taking half a day (0.5mg), after while will take every other day, and stop taking it after 3 months.

    To make sure Fin was the cause, this is what i did: I have slowly developed the sexual side effects for several months and didn't know what was it, then 1 day i decided to quit Fin cold turkey, the side effects diminished, then I came back on Fin and after a couple of weeks, it came back again. So i figure Fin has deftly something to do with it. Now instead of quitting cold turkey, I'm tapering it off.

    What makes me really annoyed is that I took for 10 years and no problem, so go figure.

    I'm hopeful that after i quit, i will not have ED anymore. But some ppl have had problems worsened after quitting, the "post-Fin syndrome", so will see.
    All you can do is remain optimistic. Resist having any expectations whatsoever, simply take things as they come. I wish you the best in recovering!

    As an aside, interesting how people who've taken finasteride for 10 years+ without issue seem to be experiencing sides only after discontinuing its use.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    I too would like to hear some ex-finasteride users who have managed to get their sexual health back.

    Is it a matter of time or is there something I can do to help?

Similar Threads

  1. Propecia side effects?
    By seraphix in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 01:12 AM
  2. Side effects of PROPECIA!!
    By jon parkes in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 01:09 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 01:03 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
  5. Propecia: Any side effects
    By notsure in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Am I a norwood 3v?
Today 03:32 PM
by Jimmy87
Last Post By Jimmy87
Today 03:32 PM
What is the MOST gentle shampoo?
07-01-2015 09:57 PM
Last Post By Avind1945
Today 11:30 AM
Deserve firm erection? Move to fildena
Today 03:53 AM
Last Post By fildenaus
Today 03:53 AM
Wanted advice on a good haircut style
05-26-2019 10:00 AM
Last Post By aboperdnom
Yesterday 11:31 PM